Quick question for the install enthusiasts...

Username: Joshua05

Post Number: 1
To preface, I don't need a complete how-to, just an idea of where to start looking...

I'm helping to set up a new cafe and we want to have a central source for music, wireless bookshelf speakers in 3 rooms, and a remote control in each room to control that room's volume.

Is this possible for under $500?/How?

~Thanks for ur time!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1018
You will get better value for your money by wiring the speakers. I know wireless is convenient, but in a public place you have to worry about RF interference interrupting the signal, plus you need a seperate amplifier for each wireless speaker.

Put those wires behind the walls, very much worth it.

As far as wiring each room to a wall control volume switch or an infared port in each room that relays back to the receiver, the parts aren't terribly effective, it's the install that will take you out of budget. If you do the install yourself you will save quite a bit.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8662

At $500 you're wasting your time. A proper switch box with VC's for the speakers will run you $250. Double your budget and do the installation yourself with hard wired speakers and you might get by. Otherwise buy a boombox and place it in one corner of the room. Make that seating in the "entertainment area".

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1075
Whatever you do Josh please please don't buy a set of Bose speakers thinking they look cute in your cafe and deliver great music.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8665

You can't nuy three rooms of Bose for $500. Amar's too proud for that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077
Don't bet on it. How do you think the disappointed Bose buyers get rid of all their stuff? Ebay baby. There is more born every minute.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 17
PSB, Paradigm, Revel, Spendor, Snell et al should sell as many speakers as Bose. Since speaker market share sales are unavailable, I'll just take a naked guess (some consultant, somewhere, trust me, has some sort of sales data) that Bose sells more.

My neigbor's 901's are darn good speakers - open, airy, undistorted, balanced and detailed. Also, overpriced - purely subjective like most other audio stuff. On this board, I'm in the minority but at least some others have also commented positively on Bose.

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/bose.html

I doubt the aforementioned companies are generating this volume or those on this thread are teaching at MIT, have his IQ or wealth.

Fact: I don't.

The man is a marketing genius. In this respect and probably sales, overshadowing the aforementioned speaker counterparts, in my opinon.

Hey, who do you like - Miami or Dallas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1081
Well whatever good he did with the 901's he undid with most of his other stuff especially the accoustimass. I keep running into their annyoing noise in lots of cafe's in Chicago. So I just wanted to warn Josh.

Dallas in 5

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
After last night, you're probably right.

Username: Joshua05

Post Number: 2
haha... alright thanks for the tips guys, and don't worry, i never include the cuteness factor when it comes to audio

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Miami or Dallas?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2905
Carolina or Edmonton?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
University of Wisconsin