Cleaning previously very dirty boombox

Username: Johnnyfever79

Post Number: 1
i bought a soundesign boombox recently to restore. it is identical to the one i owned 20+ years ago. i have replaced all 3 belts on it and i have cleaned every single little piece i can get my hands on..it is very clean now except for one thing. the tape heads have been neglected since probably 1982 or 83. after a very long thourough cleaning i have gotten the miidle part of the head shiny again. but the heads are pitted. and kind of rusty. anyone know how i can clean them better? they sound ok but probably would sound better if i could get them shiny again. also unrelated to the tape deck. the am doesnt work at all. i have cleaned every connection i can fing but cant get it fixed any suggestions??

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 30
Carey:

If the heads are pitted and rusty, a technician might be able to improve their condition by polishing them. The cost may be more than you want to pay.

Good luck.

Post Number: 2
thanks..unfortunatly there is no one in this area that does anything. they sound fine but i have to clean them after every use..

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 31
Carey:

Please note that you might be damaging the tape while it is in contact with the heads.

Post Number: 3
i know..but i am only playing very old tapes and most of them i have on vinyl or cd. i want play any of my rarieties in it. the center of the heads look fine. i dont think they are pitted enough to hurt my tapes but i am not taking any chances with my good ones.i have around 1000 cassettes...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us