Can I Still Buy a Separate (Basic) Stereo Tuner?

JohnF
Unregistered guest
I took my old integrated amp (late 1970's Sansui) and 7-year old Sony ES CD player to my beach house. I replaced them in my residence with a mid-level Denon Receiver and CD player. Boy, the old stuff sure sounds better. The old Sansui integrated amp is a KILLER -- its 60 WPC easily blows away the rated 80 WPC on the Denon. I have some Deftek speakers with powered bottom-end, so big amp power is not necessary, but the Sansui sounds so much better. So, I want to bring the old stuff back home, and I want some radio capability. Any ideas in regard to a separate tuner? Nothing exotic, just basic.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 100
I think there are some 'separates' still for sale, but getting rare. You might try searching for a used one as a better option. I think SOME of the older amps where great for music. Not all though. Even most of them had integrated tuners. We're seeing a fundamental shift happen. I think satelite radio may replace tuners for reception at home over time. It depends on how good they keep the quality of programming and how agressive they get the price. There was a time FM was nearly commercial free

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

How much money do you want to spend? And how important is radio as a source?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2642
"Can I Still Buy a Separate (Basic) Stereo Tuner?"

Yes. There are many to choose from. Go to a dealer, and you will see. Personally, I do not see Satellite or Digital Audio Broadcasts replacing analogue stereo FM in the foreseeable future. There is also the digital hook, which is that you may have to subscribe to digital channels, to get the signal decrypted.

Username: Ovenmaster

Post Number: 2
Yamaha TX-492, John. Should be able to get one for like $200 new. Used is always an option too if it's in good shape. Try www.fmtunerinfo.com for a lot of great info. That's how I found out about my T-80. Magnificent for just $75.
Tom

Username: Grifter_sg

Brisbane, QLD Australia

Post Number: 1
I got a Yamaha T-700 2nd hand for $7. Does the job.

Mikey England
Unregistered guest
I very muh doubt DAB will take over from FM just yet, the quality is pretty poor in comparison and the die-hard listeners hate digital (In CD and radio!)

Turntables and FM tuners aren't dead just yet folks!

I'm looking for a Denon tuner currently with no luck for less than £230 (Yes i'm an Englishman :D )

Anyway, good luck!

Mikey England
Unregistered guest
LOL @ how late I was posting... His post was over a year ago :D :D

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3834
Mikey,

I find the radio reception on a cheap "Freeview" digital terrestrial receiver is not bad.

Also, I have a Tivoli One table radio and that does excellent FM, and has a line out. There is a stereo model which I am sure will make a quality analogue tuner. The UK broadcasters are plugging digital, and promising to switch off analogue broadcasts, eventually. I think I read around 2012. I really do not know why.

Bronze Member
Username: Irisfailsafe

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 24
Yamaha still sells them check out its webpage

Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 3
Any real audio store will sell them, new and used. Have a look.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us