Need help in new speaker purchase

Username: Rick1067

Post Number: 2
My Amp is a Yamaha DSP-A2 7.1 at 105Watts per channel. I am selling 2 sets of Bose AM-15's because the sound sucks during movies. I would like to know what would be the best speakers for around $1200 complete. I already have a JBL Studio center channel and a Klipsch Sub-10. Are either of these worth it or should I sell these also? The room is 12 X 24 but the couch is about 12' from the TV. Thanks for all of your help.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1241
There are loads of solutions that can be driven by an A2. The A2 was an excellent amp in its day. It's been superceded nowadays but I have fond memories of that amp since it was done right.

Have a look at M&K's K series solution. Excellent value for that kind of money. You should really have a matched set of speakers all the way around. Three K-5s at the front and two K-4s at the back are a great combination. Add M&K's K-10 sub and that slots in just right. I don't know the Klipsch so you may get a good result with that too, but the satellites need to match or be designed to work together for best results.

Alternatively have a look at JBL's solutions to match your centre.

Other solutions include Kef's new KHT3005 solution, Totem's Dreamcatcher solution (possibly too expensive), B&W DM600 series solution (but not their subs unless it's the PV-1), Dynaudio's Audience series may be too expensive.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 69
Aaron,

Try check on the Paradigm Monitor series they're good for the buck. Like monitor 7's very decent floorstand speaker for around $700/pr.

Good Luck
:-):-):-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7064
Adrian,
Please do not inject your useless suggestions. Just because you went out and listened to speakers and made your choice from different arrays of speakers does not mean it is valid.:-)

I'm kidding...I kid, I kid!

Don't you have monoblocks to shop for?

Aaron,
How do you like the JBL centers? If you like them, you may want to stick with the JBLs all around. Or you could sell the whole lot and start fresh.

I have heard Axioms being driven by the A2 and it is very good.

Bronze Member
Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 71
hehehe..oh man I'm screwed!!! :-):-):-) It's my bad...:-(:-(:-(

Dont worry I will get there but not for now...hehehe :-):-):-)

Aaron,

Like what berny said dont listen to my suggestion...but just think of it an idea...hehehe :-):-):-)

Post Number: 3
Adrian, Actually I was looking at the Paradigm Monitor 7's. I have not heard them as they are no where to be found around here. I have read the reviews and seen the technical data on them. How would they compare, sound wise, to let's say Klipsch F-3's?

Berny, I am not hell bent on keeping the JBL center. It sounds great but Why would the center make a difference?

Is it that necessary to match all three fronts? Also how you match a high end pair of matched fronts with a center channel. Are they not different sizes?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1644
Aaron, the center match matteres a bunch if you listen to music in AC3, or 3 channel.
If you listen in stereo only, the center does not matter, of course.

The center is the most important piece in 5.1 for movies, but really, anything can do that job unless you are movie centered, in which case you would not be posting here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7076
Aaron,
I believe that matching the center with the front mains is important for the overall sound quality (a personal preference). I have no doubt that in the course of your audio adventures you will take trip into DVD-Audio/SACD/Multi-Channel music. A mismatched front channel will ruin the overall sound. At least it did mine.

Ft Knox, KY US

Post Number: 4
Nuck, I have the capability of playing AC3 and DVD-A. I am also very big into music as Iplay bass guitar (700W Peavey Black Widow stack) and only do that at my computer (system includes a Mackie M-1400i and two 400W Yamaha speakers). However, I watch more movies than listen to music on my A/V system.

Nuck and Berny, Is music in AC3 or DVD-A that much more impressive?

Berny, I only ask this because I do not know (not meaning to sound like a smart A**) If all the data/Stats in the JBL center channel (for example) matches the Data/Stats from lets say a Pinnacle Center channel, Would'nt they be compareable in sound quality?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7085
I do not know that it would be that much more impressive. All I know is that I happen to like the immersion. Some people like that pure stereo sound, it is a totally personal matter.
Your mileage will vary:-)

You make a good point on data stats. But you have to look beyond that. Those numbers only tell you the capability,handling, specifications, etc. It does not tell you how it will sound.

Let's say a paper cone over a synthetic cone may have the same specs, do you think that they will sound the same?

Ft Knox, KY US

Post Number: 5
Excellent point. No they would not. My JBL does have the synthetic cones. They look like the Klipsch RF series speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1661
I've never been big on JBL to begin with, and if you are trading out that unit and starting fresh, so be it.

Perhaps the Psb B25 stander might be worth a look.Although not the final product you want, it is a good intro to the Psb lineup, which I have owned a lot of.
Look at the Axiom 500 or(gulp)600 subs, as well as the Hsu ST lineup, all very good.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 716
Aaron:

Hard to know what to recommend to you (but getting rid of the Bose shows you are on the right track) without knowing what size room you have and any constraints you may have (WAF, for instance).

Initally, I would suggest the Totem Dreamcatcher system for your amp, which is right around your budget, but it can be too small in larger rooms.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3722
aaron,

My suggestion : 1 pair CMT-340SEs fronts, 1 CMT-340SE center, 1 pair CBM-170SEs for surrounds, $1184 shipped from ascendacoustics.com --- just order a pair of the 340SEs first, ship them back if you dislike them or order the rest of the system if you do like them.

read up on the Ascends, lots and lots have been written on them by pros and consumers alike. Post on their user's forum, you might be able to find a local Ascend owner who'll let you come listen.

They are sometimes called "the poor man's M&Ks" because the owner started out designing speakers for M&K and like the M&Ks they are famous for having a flat frequency response (and are one of only a tiny handful of speaker companies to publish their FR graphs on their website).

Ft Knox, KY US

Post Number: 6
I have gone to several websites and read a lot on the speakers mentioned. The problem is I do not have a store near my location to physically listen to these speakers. I was looking at maybe getting a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11's or the 90P's. I was also thinking about a set of B&W's DM600 Series.

I need someone who has listened to the Monitor 11 to make an assessment for me please

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3723
I've heard the Monitor 11 and found it a bit sloppy; from the Monitor series I actually liked the Monitor 5 the most.

If I had not gone for the Ascends I probably would have bought that one myself.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 818
I will second the sloppy bass assesment from the monitor 11.

However, the monitor 7 can sound impressive with the correct setup, in the right room. In the wrong room, the bass will be a mess.

My personal favorite is also the 5, but I like the 7 very much taking price into consideration.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1266
Aaron

When building a surround sound system, you're looking to create a uniform soundscape in the space you're driving. Any anomalies in the soundscape will seem out of place and destroy the illusion of 'being there'. In theory, the most reliable way of building such a space is with 5 (or 7) identical speakers placed at the 0, 30 and 120 degree locations each equidistant from the listening position.

In practice, the room impinges on the system to impose different requirements of the speakers physically. For example, the centre is often required to be smaller or more discreet than the two main front speakers. Another example is that the rears are often close to a rear wall and far closer to the listener than the fronts. Therefore you may get better results (not always) by using a different design of speaker. One such design is the bi- or tri-pole which sends sound sideways as well as forwards. The extra directions diffuse the sound, making you less aware of the speaker itself and enhancing the naturalness of the soundscape.

In the case of movies, a very large proportion of the sound comes from the centre speaker, so much so that some manufacturers will tell you that the centre speaker is the most important speaker in a surround movie scenario. This means it shouldn't be an add-on but at least as good within its performance envelope (which tends to be midrange since it is responsible for dialogue) as the front speakers.

However, if music is the first priority, the main front speakers can be expected to have better performance than the centre.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us