Port plug

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 29
I'm curious, when do we use the port plug? (the sponge that comes with the speaker) and what does it do?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1908
I suggest reading your manual. The situation might differ with each brand or type of speaker, and you need to read your instructions so that you dont ruin your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thanks Paul thats a lot of help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1909
Dont mention it. Based on the level of information offered, that was the best possible answer.

Obviously by plugging or unplugging a port, you are changing the accoustical properties of the speaker. Only the manual can tell you when and under what circumstances that it's appropriate.

For example, my sub has 3 large ports, and whether or not I cover one or more ports depends on the setup of the sub.

As for your situation??....I guess you'll have to read up.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 119
Just don't use a ball...or a little kid

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 580
that was awsome paul...haha. what did you think we would say skareb? if you bought them new dont you think you should ask your dealer or contact the manufacturer? even if you bought them used you can still contact customer service about it. geez.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1921
Yea, if your kid throws a ball inside, use a sweeperhose extension to suck it out:-)

If he throws a matchbox car inside, good luck with that because getting inside any wellmade sub is about as difficult as breaking into a tank with spitwads.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 183
basically, a port plug will turn your speaker from a ported speaker into a near sealed (aperiodic) speaker.

which one is right depends on your prefences and how the speakers sound in your room more than anything.

unplugged, your speakers with have deepar and louder bass. your more likely to want to unplug the speakers the further they are from your back walls or the bigger the room

plugging the port will lower your bass volume, but it will make your woofer snap faster. your bass will sound less distorted and "punchier". if your speakers sound boomy, plugging them will lessen the effect. if your ports are backwards firing, you'll probably want to plug the ports the closer you place the speeakers to the back wall, ESPECIALLY on a bookshelf.

whether or not to plug depends on which sound you prefer. the ONLY time i ever unplugged my little mission speakers is when i was using them as subwoofers. otherwise, i prefer the tighter cleaner bass of them plugged. if you're a bass freak, you'll probably prefer the exact opposite.

it depends on what your ears prefer.

Anonymous

"If he throws a matchbox car inside, good luck with that because getting inside any wellmade sub is about as difficult as breaking into a tank with spitwads."

I have a SVS and all it took was unscrewing the amp and reaching in and taking the kid's ball out. Then just screw the amp back in place. Took about three minutes or less.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
thanks budget minded

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 192
no prob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help