Network help

Username: Nidrill

Solihull, Birmingham England

Post Number: 3
Hi,

My question and problem is, i have 2 computers 1 of them has an ethernet card the other doesnt so i cant netowrk them via this way. They do however have usb ports. Can I connect then via this? do I need a special USB cable?

Also I do have a broadband Modem/Router which i connect to 1 Pc via usb it does have a spare ethernet port; could i connect the modem to the computer without the ethernet port by usb then connect it to the other computer via ethernet. would I then have a netowrk?

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 30
While they probably do make a USB to ethernet adapter, I think your best bet is to purchase an Ethernet card. They are inexpensive ($10-$15 in U.S.) and the install is simple. As long as your Router has ethernet inputs, you are set.

A few other settings must be correct for the computers to "talk" to one another. IP addresses and subnet mask must be in the same range. DHCP can assign them automatically for you. The computers must be in the same workgroup as well.

If you are running a firewall, sometimes settings must be changed here as well.

It is even possible to set things up so that other computers on your network can connect to the internet through the one and only attatched computer.

Some more information regarding your router and setup would help me a lot. Number of router inputs, if any. The Operating System. Firewalls? I can then guide you through the process with that information.

Bronze Member
Username: Hunterjames

Post Number: 12
Do you want to share your internet connection or just want the computers networked?

Username: Tayteh

Post Number: 1
Can anyone please tell me why is it my pc window firewall at the security centre cannot switch to on ?

Bronze Member
Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 19
You might not be logged on as an administrator. You must be logged on as an administrator to turn on Internet Connection Firewall. When you first set up your Windows XP computer, the set-up procedure guides you through the process of establishing an administrator account and password.

If you did not set up an administrator account, the default administrator account has the user name: Administrator and the password is blank. Do not type anything in the password field. Windows XP also provides the option to create a password reset disk, in case you forget your administrator account name and password.

If you have set up a separate administrator account and password, but you have not made a reset disk, and you have forgotten the user name and password, you will be required to reinstall your operating system before you can turn on the firewall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us