Computer,Stereo Out, Can it be Split with a Y Adaptor?

Username: Jimmmm

NY

Post Number: 4
I have a computer with a 'Line Out' (stereo) jack connected to my stereo, sounds great playing MP3's... But, i would like to connect this system up to another stereo or amp in another room....My Computer or Stereo does not have another 'Line Out' , Can i split the 'Line Out' from my computer with a simple 'Y' adaptor and connect each line outs to a different amp/stereo ? or do i need a mixer or other preamp/splitter device to keep the signal from looping or degredating ? (This System is all low tech, just want to create some decent music in multiple small rooms....not looking for glass shattering amplitude here.)

If possible to do, how far can the Line run without any preamps/boosters ?.... i may want to run the line level 20 feet to another stereo.

Email me if this can be done or if you have a low tech low cost solution..... I would build something if need be. jimmmm@hotmail.com

Username: Nathan_d

Post Number: 1
I have a similar problem..I just need to buy a split to connect to my line out sound jack on my pc so I can have two line out jacks... What is this item called and where can it be bought? Please email this to me at nathanvug@cox.net

Username: Jimmmm

NY

Post Number: 7
I found out that the line level line can be split 1 or two times.

I purchased a stereo 'Y' adaptor/connector from radioshack. They have two types: One is a molded one piece connector the other has a couple inches of wire on each of the three connectors (stereo headphone jack type: one male, two female connectors)... You will probably need to ask at the counter.

The 'Y' adaptor with the wire leads on it worked the best for me due to clearence from the computer case and etc.

One of my lines is running a couple of feet the other is run about 30-35 feet to a different reciever/stereo/amp.....

I used Cat 5 ethernet cable since i had a piece laying around and also bought the stereo head phone jacks from radioshack and soldered them on. I just tied some pairs together and was careful to use the same pair for the center conductors.

Now i have music in 2 locations from one source and It sounds very good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us