Is There a VHS Cassette that holds a MP120 8mm tape cartidge?

Username: Bbentson

Palm Springs, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Help me out here... I have a bunch of 8mm tapes that a friend wants to watch that he recorded on his old 8mm Sony Handycam. He gave away the camcorder, now wants to watch the old tapes. I thought he could insert the tape in a VVHS tape cartridge and play them that way, does sony make a holder cartridge for them? Also/or could I rent a 8mm camcorder player somewhere? Do you think I will have to buy a used Sony Handycam in order to watch these?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Brian

Drhiberd
Unregistered guest
There is no cartridge that will play 8mm tapes in a VCR. S-VHS has one, but not 8mm. You can probably buy an 8mm player online for a lot of money, or buy another camcorder, or you can probably find someone that rents them (Rent a Center, etc) If you do get a hold of one, transfer the tapes to VHS so you don't have this problem again.

archie
Unregistered guest
argos used to sell one,many moons ago. i find myself with a load of 8mm tapes also. i will find a cartridge ! will keep you posted....

damo
Unregistered guest
did anyone find a cartridge to play 8mm tapes in vhs as i have same problem if so email me at ds@smart-sec.com

Avarice
Unregistered guest
From what I understand it is impossible to play 8mm tapes on a VHS player. It would be like playing a record in a laser disc player. They are different formats and there is no conversion cartridge for them. Read here: http://hometheater.about.com/cs/vcrs/a/aa8mmtovhsa.htm

Sunny Beast
Unregistered guest
Is there a place or shop where one can take these 8MM tapes and have them converted to DVD??

Unregistered guest
I know that you can convert the 8mm to VHS at walmart for 18 or 19 dollars, but I know the adapter you are talking about I bought one years agoe and now I am looking for a new one.

Xrrider1031
Unregistered guest
8mm can't be played in a standard VHS vcr. This is because VHS is 1/2" and of course 8mm is 8mm wide. But,luckily for you I've done the research for you. Sony makes a 8mm vcr. It records to and playsback Digital8. It also plays standard 8mm and Hi8.
The model# is GV-D200 which sells retail for about $600, but can be found for cheaper. There is also model# GV-D500 which is the same but has a small LCD screen. Both also have an analog to digital converter. Please e-mail me at xrrider1031@aol.com is This post has been any help to you.

Deedee Allen
Unregistered guest
I used to have a VHS tape cartridge that held my 8mm tape. Because it has been years since I viewed the 8mm, I have misplaced the VHS Cartridge. Everywhere I call, they act like it did not exist.

corky4president
Unregistered guest
that's because it does not exist. That is a fact. You must be confused because it is simply impossible for a vcr to play 8mm. They are recorded at different speeds and played at different speeds.

reggie1978
Unregistered guest
It may not exist now...but it DID exist. I had one years ago, lost it, and was looking to replace it but cannot find it in any store. It was simply a VHS-sized cartridge that you put your 8mm tape into. You then put the VHS tape into any VCR, and you could watch your 8mm recordings.

Unregistered guest
those that dont beleive that such a vhs cartridge that plays 8mm does not exist are simply to young to know of such technology, maybe they scrapped it so that major co. could make more money on selling the consumer new hardware, but it did exist and when 8mm needed to be transferred to vhs in many ways this was your only option

Stacey Wilson
Unregistered guest
I had one to, and have misplaced it and am going crazy trying to find one.. cant even find one on e-bay! any ideas?

THEmythOFthe8mmVHSadapter
Unregistered guest
I know of someone who had this JVC camcorder that came with a tape adapter for VCR's (this was sometime back in the mid-90's). However, the tape used for that type of camcorder was not 8mm. The cartridge was about the same size as an 8mm tape but it was about twice as thick.

I found an article that settles the debate on the existence of this 8mm VHS adapter:

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/vcrs/a/aa8mmtovhsa.htm

Unregistered guest
Just to sort things out about this 8mm to Vhs converter I have one here in front of me SORRY ITS NOT FOR SALE as they are very hard to find.

Try ebay

Juno
Unregistered guest
The last posting named it properly..that is what it is called...8mm to vhs..the last one I saw on ebay about two months ago went for 53.00. I wish I had bought it.

Username: Sienna

Post Number: 3
Alan Hodgins. Can you take a picture of this adapter for me please?

I thought I had one years ago too, but I found that it didn't play the new style 8mm tapes, only the older style fatter 8mm tapes.

You are saying you have one of these that fit the thinner 8mm tapes? can I see a picture please, of the inside of it?

I have searched far and wide, and all are saying it's not possible. I would love to see it.

Kind Regards

Sienna

JLeblanc337
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony 8mm tape that I would like to view. I do not have a camcorder. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4390
Here's an idea. Get a camcorder that plays 8mm tapes. There is no other way. Good luck finding an adaptor.

SEKIM
Unregistered guest
The last guy said it best. Just get a 8mm camera and use the yellow red and white cords to hook it up to the television. Only problem is the old camcorder I had, had superior quality sound system and the one I have now only distorts the sound from the old tapes of my sons band. Looks like I will have to go get a more quality camera.

Thanks for all the good info. Mike.

jrdad
Unregistered guest
I remember a VHS-C tape(about same size casette as 8mm) that came with a fullsize VHS tape it would fit into so it could play on VCR's, could this be what is being confused for the 8mm?

natbug
Unregistered guest
Yes it is the VHS-C which everyone is refering to, not the 8mm, which cannot be played with the VHS adaptor. a VHS adaptor did exist, but with the VHS-C tapes, not 8mm.

Anonymous

Full of crap...that cannot exist. the heads in the vcr won't play the 8mm thus the 8mm is digital and vcr cannot accept the coding. all you saying you had one is full of it..sorry but that is the truth I work for Sony, If that ever existed the head of development would have not told me it never did. just saying, if you had one you made it yourself in the tool shed

mripani
Unregistered guest
I have my old (1997) Sony videocam and 8mm tapes that I want to play. I think that i even have the yellow and red cables. But I don't know how to hook it up to the TV so I could view the tapes. Any ideas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5009
check if your TV has audio and video Inputs. If not you have to use an RF adaptor.

But really...if you can find the manual for both equipment...READ it.

sonyecountert
Unregistered guest
There is absolutlty no such creature, it is impossible coding (digital) and real size the vhs-c 8mm size but thicker and one of the white cogs is vcr compatable , which 8mm's are to small, anyone who has one is VHS-c

Anonymous

OK, so the final answer is as follows:
- Alan's "dream converter" does exist. HOWEVER, it plays the old school 8mm THICK tapes that coss-over to VHS correctly. Do to the tapes widths being the same size. These "8mm" tapes were simply VCR tapes manufactured in a smaller cartridge, so the conversion works.
-It is impossible for a ("90's") 8mm tape to be played by a vcr tape converter. It would somehow have to copy in REAL TIME the (smaller)8mm tape info. onto the (larger)VCR's tape and play. They are totally 2 different sizes. Those still confused I can only reference them to a physics/chemistry book for further help. Or go to Steve Jobs (He somehow solves any type of conversion problem) ((i.e.)) the new MACBOOK PRO!

Unregistered guest
Hello, I own a Sharp camcorder VL-E620 (8mm)and have movies of my grandchildren and would appreciate any suggestions in how to connect to my PC so I can transfer the videos to cd. Is there a connector available that would go from the camcorder to an USB? Thank you very much.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I own a Sharp camcorder VL-E620 (8mm)and have movies of my grandchildren and would appreciate any suggestions in how to connect to my PC so I can transfer the videos to cd. Is there a connector available that would go from the camcorder to an USB? Thank you very much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5647
You do not want to use USB when transferring videos to PC.

First find out the output capability of your camera, then find out the capture capability of your PC.

Your camera needs to have a firewire out or DV output.

Your PC needs a Firewire input(IEEE1394) or DV in port.

If not you will have a difficult time with video transfers and waste valuabl time trying o make the transfer.

You could also go the analog route. You just need a video capture card for your PC.

Username: Carbonmade

Is it possible to hook my Sony Camcorder up to my television and record the 8mm tape onto a VHS tape via a VCR hooked up to the same tv? I tried it, but it wouldn't record the 8mm tape, was recording "regular television" instead. Did I not plug the wires in correctly?
Help,

A girl who has not clue about entertainment equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6783
Yes you did not plug the wires in correctly.

Camcorder Video/Audio OUT ---> Video/Audio IN of VCR.

VCR Video/Audio OUT ---> Video/Audio IN of TV.

Username: Darlene

Hey they have one at ebay! VHS Adapter for 8MM!
I just bought one for $20.00!

Username: Darlene

Post Number: 2
They have another, hurry!

Username: Complete

Anonymous said: it plays the old school 8mm THICK tapes that coss-over to VHS correctly

It seems that the confusion here is because people are mentioning "8mm" like it's a brand name. It's actually the width of the tape.

So there is "8mm" width tape, and VHS-C tape (in a similar sized casette), which is thicker (1.2 inch (12.7 mm) wide).

8mm vs. 12.7 mm

Hope this helps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7759
Yeah, Darlene let us know about that one once you get it. Unless of course you are the one selling it.

Username: Stratesfear

I have a question I to have a problem cause there are no longer vhs adapters for an 8mm cassette, but is there a way to record it on to a vhs?

Username: Stratesfear

i forgot to add when i put the camera on the tv it wouldn't record the film.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8576
You need to connect it directly to the VCR's input and not the TV.

Username: Poohbear

I can not believe with all this technology these days that someone hasn't invented a 8mm vhs tape for a vcr. 8mm camcorders are a waste if you don't have a way to watch what you film....just a little advice don't buy a camcorder that requires an 8 mm tape!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8686
Hooray for proprietary media! Everyone gets corraled into buying the same crap, because they have no choice. They sure marketed this format better than they did the Beta tape :-)

A camcorder with a hard disk drive to record movies is such a neat idea nowadays.

Username: Sad_hamster

Ca

the adapter/converter you are looking for is a vhs-c adapter. i have been searching for one too to view old home movies. you can buy them for $10 to $40. even circuit city and radio shack have them. but be careful, the manuel ones can ruin your tapes.

Username: R0osboz1

Modern day 8mm video tapes and camcorders record the movies in digital format. Oder VHS and VHS-C camcorders (and VCR's) record video in analog format). Even if they were the same size, it would require a digital to analog conversion to make a digital 8mm tape play on an analog VHS player.
Now, I am not sure about this next part, but I believe when 8mm tapes first came out, perhaps you could record on them with an analog 8mm camcorder (if they ever did make them, they don't make them any more).

The "thicker" 8mm is not 8mm at all...it is VHS-C, about the same pocket-size as 8mm, but thicker tape, and recorded in a completely different format than 8mm. I also believe there is no such thing as an 8mm adapter...I believe it is a VHS-C adapter that everyone is talking about, that lets you play VHS-C tapes on your VHS full sized VCR.

It just occurred to me...when I was searching ebay for an 8mm to vhs converter (that probably/definitely) does not exist...
The 8mm to VHS converter that you CAN buy is to convert, not 8mm tape, but 8mm movie film (you know, for the home movie cameras they used to sell back in the 60's...photographic FILM, not TAPE)...i'll bet that is the 8mm to VHS converter the girl found on ebay...

Username: Hanvwj

Sacramento, Ca Usa

there once was such an adapter for 8mm tapes designed to be used with a vcr. yes it would be recorded at different speeds but vcrs have a built-in mechanism to distinguish and adapt at different speeds. i still remember this. that is why i have held on to my 8mm tapes for such a long time. i no longer have my camcorder anymore cause it was recently stolen from me and cannot find an adapter. now i am left with a bunch of 8mm tapes of my kids when they were younger and cannot find any means to play these videos without spending a fortune.}

Username: Popadopolis

Haha. I just had to go through the registration so I could make you all feel dumb. Although it says it in here many, many times, I'm going to say it again:

There is NO 8mm adapter to go to VHS. It never existed. And all of you retards that keep saying "I used to have one, but I lost it years ago." That was because you probably used to have a VHS-C camcorder. Guess what? Not the same thing... at all. It's like expecting your DVD player to play ATRAC Cassetts. They are completely different and there is absolutely NO WAY to do it. I recommend using your working camcorder to get those videos to a DVD or your computer ASAP because check it out, people: No one supports 8mm anymore, and you have no one to blame but yourself for remaining technologically ignorant all these years when MiniDV, MiniDVD, and now HDD camcorders have come out. So don't get mad at Sony for not supporting your ancient equipment; it's not their job to make up for your idiocity and procrastination. I almost feel sorry for you... except.... I don't.

ps. Darlene, you poor, poor woman. I really wish you had taken the advice of all the smarter people in here...

I hate to be rude, but I also hate it when people claim something is fact when it clearly is not. Because not a single person in here is holding an "8mm to VHS" adapter in their hands and everyone here seems to think that just because no one has one doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Trust me, if one existed, they would be incredibly popular because of procrastinators like you.

Username: Tlandon28

Stafford, Tx Usa

brandon woods you are rude and you are in no position to belittle people. hope you made ur self feel better you lonely person

Username: Abel1004

Irving, TX USA

I had to regester also, to make you all accept your less than intelligent reality... and i was bored... ha ha I agree with Brandon and believe the world is full of too many people that leap before they look, all of you that are saying you have an 8MM converter in your hands, didn't write anymore, hmmm i wonder why? OH WAIT I KNOW WHY, because after you posted your comment, you looked down at your converter and noticed it says VHS-C converter ha ha!!! You people should really think things through before leading people to believe there is such a thing and have these poor people wasting thier time looking for it just because you are saying it exists and what of the guy that was requested to post a picture? WHERE IS IT?? HUH? WHERE? YOU WHAT? CAN'T FIND IT? HUH? OH!?!?!?! you saw that it says VHS-C didn't you? YEAH YOU DID! DOH!!

Irving, TX USA

I had to regester also, to make you all accept your less than intelligent reality... and i was bored... ha ha I agree with Brandon and believe the world is full of too many people that leap before they look, all of you that are saying you have an 8MM converter in your hands, didn't write anymore, hmmm i wonder why? OH WAIT I KNOW WHY, because after you posted your comment, you looked down at your converter and noticed it says VHS-C converter ha ha!!! You people should really think things through before leading people to believe there is such a thing and have these poor people wasting thier time looking for it just because you are saying it exists and what of the guy that was requested to post a picture? WHERE IS IT?? HUH? WHERE? YOU WHAT? CAN'T FIND IT? HUH? OH!?!?!?! you saw that it says VHS-C didn't you? YEAH YOU DID! DOH!!

Irving, TX USA

yeah i posted it twice to make sure you read it ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15413
Way to elevate yourself, Abel!

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 30
Wow, wonder if anyone knew that Go Video made a 8mm/VHS combo player. In case anyone says that it was never made, ...well, I have one as of May 13, 2008 (had it for years) and it still works!

Username: Junkmanstan

I don't understand why it is so difficult for all of you deniers to get with the program. It DID exist. People on this message board have real life experience upon the fact that it did exist. The same 8mm i am holding in my hand has been played on vhs through an adapter that DID exist! New technology = more profit. Companies phase out the old to bring in the new. You can throw all the theories you want at the truth. It has and does exist. It's just really hard to find.

Username: Fefo

IT DID EXISTS.
i remember having one for 8 mm and it required batteries. PLEASE SOMEBODY, look into your 8mm camera manual (in the back) there is such adapter listed as part of the accesories. NO, NOT A VHS-C but a 8 mm. I WILL FIND THE MANUFACTURER AND PART NUMBER AND WILL POST IT HERE.

Username: Turok2000

SKANDIA, MI United States

Despite all the discussion that has preceded this entry, I am not going to get into whether or not such a converter existed or still exists. It may very well have been available at some time in the past. If so, it would have saved my buying an 8mm Sony Walkman VCR because the playback function on my camcorder died, probably from overuse.

The Sony units are in very short supply, and it took me from March of this year to September to get finally get my hands on one for a reasonable price, about $600, which is Sony's list price. There were two models, the GVD-200, and the GVD-800, which has an LCD screen for viewing/editing. These are Digital8 units, backwards compatible to 8mm, with analog, I-Link, and even mike and headset I/O's. They can be either battery (not included) or AC powered, converter included.

As luck would have it, not only did I receive a GVD-800 unit from one online source, two days later I received a second unit that had been on back-order from another source since last May. That one is still in the unopened box.

The problem with these units is that there will not be any more forthcoming from Sony, according to their website, nor the websites from which I ordered these. There are others available online, but for prices ranging from $900 to $2000. Good hunting! By the way, one unit came from PCNation, and the other from CDW.

Cheers.

Username: Sparky_01

It is impossible to put an 8mm video tape into a cassette adapter to play in a VHS deck. You can do it with a VHS-Compact because it's the same size tape in a smaller cassette. 8mm video will not match up with VHS heads due to it being physically smaller tape than VHS, so you are wasting your time if you think you'll find an adapter for this situation. Iused to work as a tech in this industry, I know what I'm talking about. Just trying to save people some time and frustration.

Username: Turok2000

SKANDIA, MI United States

Rick,

I do not dispute your views on "converters", as I stated in my Nov 08 post, immediately preceding your latest offering.

I have worked with everything from 78's, 45's and reel-to-reel to HDV tape and video hard drives. That includes all the 8mm formats and VHS. For the fans of the obscure, that also includes a never-used, in the box 8 track player and an Akai unit that plays and records both R-to-R and 8 track, dubbing either way. For the computer geeks, I've also worked with mainframes that were hard-wire programmed up through some newer stuff that used DASD's.

As for photo and video, you can't really appreciate a digital camera unless you have worked with 4x5 sheet film and a Speed Graphic, shooting news and sports. We also loaded and processed the film, sheet and roll, all in the dark, totally by feel and a good memory.

Rick, I whole-heartedly agree with you. The only way I've found to convert the 8mm formats to digital you can work with on an editor or archive to DVD is to run a PLAYER into a computer and go from there. Slow, tedious and not much fun, especially archiving without any editing, transitions or other fun things to do. By the way, I now use a Sony HVR-V1U HDV, and am saving up for a good editing/authoring package.

Cheers,
Walt.

Username: Nick_hale

UK

Wow this goes on and on! Views from the UK
The simplest way is to get your tapes converted to DVD from one of the many companies advertising this service for about £4 a tape. Advantage is that once on DVD you can in the future recapture the images from the DVD and convert to any future digital format - downside is cost and trusting your tapes to the post.
If you want to convert them yourself, don't buy an 8mm player as they are expensive and a waste of money as old technology. Use a camcorder-either your own, a borrowed one, you may get one free if you join your local freecycle group or cheap off ebay -£50 going price.
Make sure you get one with an AV out socket which is a jack socket -the lead normally comes with the camcorder and converts to three leads terminated with red and white audio lead and a yellow video lead terminated with phono(cinch) plugs
Leads are readily available however. To watch your videos you can plug into the relevant sockets on your TV or if there aren't any use an AV to scart converter-a few £'s only.Set your TV input to AV in.
To capture and edit the videos you need an AV capture box-from Pinnacle or I got one from Aldi
-Tevion Home DVD Creator-for £20 which comes with AV leads, two pieces of capture/edit software and drivers and an AV to scart converter. It plugs into a USB socket on your PC and can be used to import using the supplied software or any other software eg Windows movie maker that comes with windows.
There may be an even cheaper way if you have already replaced your 8mm camcorder with a digital one with AV in and firewire out like for example my Sony DCR PC9E. Here you simply plug AV out from the 8mm camcorder into the AV in on the digital camcorder which then connects to your computer by firewire and can be captured by any software taking firewire digital input including Windows Media player. Set up the editing package to accept input from your digital camcorder, start the 8mm camcorder playing and you are away.
A final thought. If your 8 mmcamcorder only has an aerial out(RFout) socket to plug into a TV aerial socket you should be able to capture this signal on a VHS player or better a PVR with hard drive or disc writer or even a computer fitted with analogue TV tuner card though quality may be reduced. In all cases you will need, whilst running the 8mm camcorder on play to retune the recording device to pick up the channel frequency your camcorder outputs to or alternatively if your camcorder has out put frequency adjuster tune this to an appropriate TV channel till you see the picture.
Whichever way you plan to do it, do it now before all analogue TV's and associated equipment becomes unavailable!

Username: Nick_hale

UK

Whoops for Windows Media player in previous posting read Windows Movie maker-so much for the preview posting window!

Username: Martin928

here is a way to view a 8mm tape expensive but it exists

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-440939-10396361?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=11028832

Username: Martin928

Sony Digital8 Portable Video Recorder Model number: GV-D200

Username: Susie_q

there is a way to view the 8mm tapes...you need a VHS-c adapter that can be purchased on Ebay and I also see many on Amazon. It is possible to view your much wanted movies with family and friends. My daughter had one of these a few years back and we watched on our VHS Player many times. I hope this helps those that wanted this information.

Username: Jrn1

SusieQ ... And all other people that are not technically proficient: It is a technological fact that you CANNOT play an 8mm TAPE with a VHS-C adapter for a VCR. Please read the above posts and let this disinformation stop at once. It's 2010 people should know better.

A VHS-C tape is 12.7mm (wider) and an 8mm tape is, well, you guessed it ... 8mm. It will not play on a VCR. End of story.

I truly hope this helps people who have been totally confused with their VHS-C Adapter thinking it can play 8mm tapes. It cannot. No device was ever made to play 8mm on VCR units. It is technologically impossible.

Username: Matthawkins

John R is right. At no point in time have you ever been able to view 8mm (video8) tapes on a VHS VCR. They are completely incompatible.

I've got a VHS-C adapter. It's called a VHS-C adapter because it adapts VHS-C to VHS. VHS-C being a compact VHS tape.

VHS-C is not 8mm.

A 8mm to VHS adapter has never existed and never could exist. Anyone who "remembers" having such a device is wrong. Anyone who has "one in front" of them hasn't actually managed to insert a 8mm tape.

8mm tapes had the "8" or "Hi8" logos on them. VHS-C had, not surprisingly, a VHS-C logo on them.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 289
Let's hope that people will believe John and Matt instead of SusieQ.

If you believe SusieQ's idiotic post, you'll waste you money on something that will not work.

I'd also like to repost a well written link to an article that explains the ins and outs why there does not exist an 8mm VCR adapter. This should help out:

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
clickable link: http://hometheater.about.com/cs/vcrs/a/aa8mmtovhsa.htm

Let's hope that puts the argument to rest.
But knowing the mental capacity of some of our other human beings, I kinda doubt it.

Now that there are DVD recorders, it isn't really that hard to get all the video from those tapes onto DVD-R/DVD+R. It will necessitate playing them one more time through a working camcorder.

Thanks Matt and ieee488! You guys are so right.

Username: Susie_q

lol lol u r so right when it comes to the mental capactiy of humans or should I say some of the male speices I could care less about this discussion as i am satisfied with watching my good family outings on my VCR-C adapter. So sorry this upset the technical human beings. I would take the time, take a picture of my set up but I feel no reason I have to prove a point. I guess i just don't care if you believe me or not. The subject is closed and please do not email me any further concerning you so called intellegent views. LOL LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
SusieQ,

Yes, your mental capacity is lacking in this instance.

You wrote it yourself. You have a VHS-C adapter.

It does not play 8mm tapes.

I have a VHS-C adapter, and I have 8mm tape. The 8mm tape will not fit in the VHS-C adapter. The VHS-C adapter is for VHS-C tapes that I recorded using a camcorder that I no longer have. The 8mm tape is from a Sony camcorder that I borrowed from a friend.

You really should *think* before running off your mouth.

I call you a liar.

SusieQ,

People responded to your post because you were advising people that an adapter exists to convert 8mm to VHS and that they can buy one from ebay or Amazon. You can't.

There are plenty of VHS-C adapters but they are for VHS-C tapes. The clue is in the title.

We don't need a photo of your VHS-C adapter because we know what a VHS-C adapter looks like. You taking a photo of it still doesn't mean it will play 8mm tapes.

I don't doubt you have used it to watch camcorder tapes but your camcorder was obviously a VHS-C model.

I know you think this might be a bit geeky but hopefully we've saved someone wasting their money.

It's like putting diesel in a petrol car. You might think that sort of thing is for chemistry nerds but it still doesn't stop it being right.

ieee4888,
Even though it is clear you are correct. I see no reason to insult SusieQ in such manner. I'll bet you don't have many friends, do you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
Roger,

Insult?
I call that calling a spade a spade.

What do you call someone who continues to maintain a falsehood ????

It is completely irresponsible for someone to knowingly perpetuate a LIE; that's what SusieQ was/is doing.

Is it too much to ask for her to be an adult and to a admit that she has no freaking clue what she is talking about in this matter ????

Username: Blue_turtle_video

To transfer 8mm camcorder tape you will need an 8mm player or 8mm camcorder. Absolutely correct that there is no VHS adapter - not only is the tape a different size but the video is stored in a different way. Petrol in a diesel car is a good analogy.

You then need to establish if you have analogue 8mm or digital tapes. Video8 tapes were the first type and are only analogue. Hi-8 tapes came next and were capable of analogue or digital recording. Digital8 is as the name suggests.

Make sure that if you have digital recordings to transfer out using Firewire (as opposed to the composite yellow/white/red cables) in order to ensure that the quality does not degrade.

Charles

Username: Tony9434

There is no way that you can play your 8 mm sony video tapes
on your VHS system. I suggest that you play your 8mm video
tapes on your 8 mm Video Camera and connect the outputs of
your Camera to a DVD recorder by means of Composite
Video/Audio Cables. By the way,the picture quallty of your
8 mm tapes are better quality than VHS by any means.
I still use my 8 mm Sony Video camera to record all my events.
Only last Saturday April 10, 2010, I recorded my Great Grand Sons's Wedding on my 8 mm Sony Camera and have transfered this event on four DVD's for all of my family members to see.
}The Picture Quality on the DVD's will be in better quality if you record your DVD's in a time/length of 2 hours or less.
Good Luck
Tony

Username: Dhor

im looking for vinyl to bluray adapter , help me out guys really need one.

Username: Whitesheba

HI

I have an old Sony camcorder with 8mm tapes which I want to convert. I have tried to view them on my tv but I can only manage to get the sound but not the picture. I can view the tapes on the camcorder, although it is a bit temperamental and I have to fiddle around and eject and reinsert the cassette to get it to play. The quality is pretty poor but there is footage of my late husband and of my children when they were toddlers so I really want to be able to put it in another format. So firstly I want to know how to get the picture to show up on my TV not just the sound, and secondly, does anyone know of anywhere to get the conversion done that is not too expensive.

Thanks in advance of any help :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
whitesheba,

which Sony camcorder model?

you should be using a cable that has a small mini plug on on end and 3 RCA plugs on the other end. The RCA plugs are color-coded yellow, red, and white.

similar to --->
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3526374&CAWELAID=326675158

You can do the conversion yourself.
Buy a standalone DVD recorder. Best Buy, etc sells them.

Once you figure out how to get both sound and video on your TV, the process is the same for a DVD recorder.

If you still want to pay someone else to do the conversion, find a local place. You don't want to be losing these tapes when mailing them back and forth.

Post Number: 7
Hello --Whitesheba-- and all the other responses that imply false means for transfering your 8 MM Video Tapes to any other type of Tape media.
Trying to play these 8 MM tapes in any other type of video tape player is not possible.---
As I suggested and posted in my reply on Tuesday April 20, 2010,, your best bet is to play these tapes in your 8 MM Camcorder and connect the Video and Audio outputs to the inputs to a DVD Disk Recoder. Your Camcorder originally came with a adapter cable that connects the ouputs of your 8MM camcorder to the inputs of your DVD Disk Recorder via RCA type cable connectors. Then, play each of your 8 MM tapes in your 8 MM camcoder and record them one by one on to DVDs. The picture Quality recorded on these DVDs will play back and remain to be good quality. Sony 8 MM recordings have always been of much better quality than VHS Tape recordings. Leee488--- in his previous post dated May 15, 2010 posts the same solution and he also has provided the means to purchase a cable between your 8 MM Camcorder and DVD recoder, ---if you do not have one.---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------.If you have picture quality problems when playing your 8 MM tapes in your camcorder, it may be resolved by playing these 8 mm Tapes over and over. If the tapes are played over and over, the picture quality problem may be corrected by using it. If that doesn't help, you may need clean the heads in your 8MM camcorder.

Username: Davidcslater

I've got SONY mp120 video8 tapes I would like to convert to DVD. MY camcorder is dead. Is there a national chain that can do this reliably and cost effectively? Other suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
Look on eBay for an used 8mm camcorder. You should be able to find one at a decent price.

Post Number: 8
FOR TRANSFERING 8MM SONY VIDEO TAPES TO DVD
OR AND OTHER MEDIA TO DVD, GO TO ----
WWW.TRANSFERFORLESS.COM
THREE} STORES IN THE PHOENIX AREA.

Username: Hotlanta

I have the same problem: 8mm tapes and no working camera to hook up to do home transference. (I have all the equipment for normal VHS --> DVD transfers.) The camera was my father's; he passed away 2 yrs ago; now my mother would love to see the old home videos again. But I'm stuck w/no home solution, as the door to the cassette compartment won't stay shut; the camera must have been dropped at some time. I planned to buy a VHS adaptor, so took the camera back to her. Now I've found out about no adaptor being possible due to tape width difference. So I will get the camera back from her, charge it, and put in a cassette, then see if the door will stay shut tight enough for it to function if I temporarily seal it up with packing tape. Anyone think that might work?

Otherwise, all the cassettes will have to go to Wolf Camera to be transferred for $32 EACH! That could get into serious money with lots of tapes. But they have a lot of stores, so if one is in your town and you really want DVDs made, they generally do a good job on things.

- Carol in Atlanta

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Carol,

Look around on eBay with for someone with 99+% feedback selling their used 8mm camcorder. There are plenty around.

Post Number: 9
HELLO CAROL- I have had the same problem and I have purchased a replacement Sony 8 MM Video Camera on EBAY.
It works and I am very happy.
Now your old Sony Video Recorder will reject the Tape if it recognizes an error and taping the door shut will not work.-----} If however you try often enough you may get it to work
Also, I have a DVD recorder which has Standard RCA type cable inputs, and I connect the outputs of my sony video 8 camera to my DVD Recorder and to my TV. I watch my old 8 mm tapes on my TV while I record the 8 mm Tapes on my DVD recorder.
Look for http://www.ebay.com on the internet and Click on Cameras & Photo
then--- Camcorders
The 2nd page has a SONY-CCD-TRV65 HI 8 VIDEO ON THE 2ND PAGE FOR $139.00 with FREE SHIPPING.COMPLETE WITH MANUAL, CASE AND ASSESORIES.
ALSO--- If you narrow your search, on advance search to "Sony 8 mm Video Camera", you will find another one at
"music_electronics _2000" Starting bid is at $15.00.
Good luck.
I like watching my old videos especially on my recorded DVD's, as I can fast search and replay parts.

Thanks, Ieee488 and Tony! I'm already an eBay member, so I did look there yesterday to see what these camcorders were going for. Since there's a slight chance I can get some action out of the old one with the broken cassette door by using the tape method, I plan to give that a try before buying. I'll have to wait till after my next trip to see my Mother, who lives 150 mi away. I'll definitely be going there within the next few weeks, & I'll bring the old videocam back here.

BTW, a Canon w/everything included went for $56 today. I had it on Watch, but forgot about it. Probably another good deal will be around if my slam-shut-and-tape-up scheme fails. Will post results here, whether good or bad.

Thanks again!

Carol in Atlanta

Username: Porthosthebear

I'm in the exact same boat. Walmart people looked at me like I had three heads when I asked about an 8mm converter. But I thought "surely the company wouldn't make these without a way to watch them!" I'm faced with some very hard choices. Either hunt down these ever-elusive "non-existent" converter on ebay, or pay a hefty sum to transfer my film class gems to dvd. Either way, I loathe, despise, and roundly mock the accursed monstrosity that is TECHNOLOGY... But then, technology or lack thereof is holding my movies hostage. So ha ha on me. Ha ha.

"surely the company wouldn't make these without a way to watch them!"

There is a way to watch them. On an 8mm camcorder.

Don't waste your time looking for a converter. They are not "non-existent" they are actually non-existent. You've got more chance of finding a converter that lets you put an audio cassette in a blu-ray player!

Your best bet is to try and buy a second hand 8mm camera.

Username: Sweet_jesus

I found an 8mm tape in my stuff. Someone had put "NO WATCH 69" on it, spelled out in stickers. It could be anything, I have NO idea...I just hope my parents didn't make a sex tape.

Anyway, I went online to see if they make this apparently mythical adapter, and I was blessed to find this forum. I was high as a kite when I read all of the comments above, and I almost soiled my britches when I read the one about converting vinyl to blu ray. All these mean spirited nerds trying to put these poor widows to shame for not staying more current on technology? I think everyone here could use a hug.

Unfortunately, I got a hold of an 8mm camera, and the tape was totally and completely blank. Color me disappointed.

Happy Fourth of July!

Username: Angie1022

Help me please I am about to have a heart attack I have about 20 8mm tapes about 10+ yrs old they are my boys little league baseball games & vacations I don't have the camcorder anymore but my sister has one I tried to play the tapes in her camera and all my tapes seem to be blank why??? What can I do?? I literally have cried for days this is very sad it's my kids childhood memories what do I do?? What can I do?? I am so upset

Post Number: 4
It could be your tapes are "Hi8". This was an enhanced 8mm format. Look carefully on the tapes and check for any "Hi8" markings/labels.

If your sisters camcorder is just normal 8mm (Video8) they will not play.

So it might be your tapes are fine but you just need to track down a Hi8 camcorder.

Username: Angie1022

Matt I looked through my tapes and some are Hi8, and some say 8mm MP120 let me say you have given me hope I am looking forward and determined to find a way to view and transfer them to DVD without going broke lol. Thanks again Matt : )

I promised I'd post back here re whether or not the tape-up method worked on the old camcorder. However, I still have not got back down to my mother's, & now may not get there till Sept.

I think we have no more than 6 tapes in the 8mm format, so if it doesn't work, I'll just take them to a local firm I've contacted. He's cheaper than Wolf Camera; he'll xfer them for $25 apiece, plus will give a "volume discount" if I give him more than one to do. (My sister in Milwaukee says she has a guy who does them for $20.) For me, having so few, it might be worth the $ to avoid the hassle of doing it myself, even if the old camera will operate when taped shut. Copying anything to DVD is a hassle, if you're a perfectionist like me, feeling you have to put it through the DVD printer after having made a beautiful face for it by capturing clips from it using the computer.

It wouldn't be worth it for me to buy a used 8mm camcorder off eBay for these few tapes. But I was touched by Angie's plight and angst, & think the eBay purchase might be the way to go for her, since she has 20+ tapes. But Angie would need to have a DVD RECORDER for any working, compatible camcorder to enable a transfer; otherwise, all she could do would be to hook the cam up to the tv or av system & just watch them as is. Like anything recorded on a tape format, they'd still be subject to the decay that increases with time. E.g., I have some tapes from the 1980s for which I DO have a compatible camcorder to hook to the a/v sys; but they're so bad now! There are normal-looking portions, green-tinted portions, and pink portions, all on the same tape. After xferring the 1st one to DVD, I am now losing my mind trying to correct them on my computer using Corel Video Studio Pro X2, and am at the point of giving up. But since no video service will perform this sort of correction for less than several hundred dollars per tape, I am thinking of buying different s/w. I read that PINNACLE STUDIO 14 is good, & easy to master. If anyone could verify that, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

I have to comment that Angie is lucky that someone as smart as Matt intuited that her tapes might be Hi8. Good going, Matt!!

ANGIE, you need to get those tapes onto DVDs a.s.a.p., whatever it takes. If you're short on ready cash (and who isn't these days), maybe your local specialist will cut you a bulk deal; or you could take in a few at a time, till they're all xferred. That is, if you find you can't do it yourself.

I still promise to post back what my final solution was, and how it came out.

- Carol in Hotlanta - and boy, IS it hot these days here!

Username: Freddy1

Have bunch of old 8 mm VIDEO CASSETTES and a Panasonic VHS PlayPak Converter in front of me. All the posts stating that the converter won't work are correct. The tape size is almost identical to the cassette adapter but is slightly larger and the has different size drive wheels compared to the adapter.

That said, I also have a Canon E520/ E620 8mm Video Camcorder. Unfortunately the batteries are shot and the CA-100 Compact Power Adapter (plugs into wall outlet) doesn't work either. Tried to recharge old batteries but no good. The camera power light will stay on for only about 10 seconds before shutting down, so I know the camera works. I will try to see if I can use a universal adapter to get the camera to work. Any thoughts?

Username: Godzcamera

Rochester , New York USA

I am also wondering the same as everyone. I have 8mm tapes i cannot watch and by the looks of it there is no way besides the expensive way to get this done.

I went to Amazon and typed in 8mm video cassette converter and i recived many options that state there VHS-c converters which i am not sure if thats the right way to describe it? Nothing in the details of the converters state that its for use of 8mm tapes nor anyother type of tape so after reading many of these post i am unsure if its something that will work or not. The only reason i may think it will work is , if there was not a converter for a 8mm tape on amazon why would i get results ? since i got results for my specific search. Makes me wonder. Then i have all these post on here that argue the fact that this may not be it.

Help me out please :
to see what i am speaking of. go to Amazon and in the search key type in, 8MM video cassette tape converter or 8mm to Vhs

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
SIGH
When will they ever listen?????

8mm is not VHS-C

Post Number: 5
There is no 8mm to VHS converter.

There are no 8mm to VHS converters on Amazon. You get results because Amazon is simply finding close matches. VHS-C is not 8mm.

Do a search for "rocking horse poo". You get results but it still doesn't exist. Try searching for "vhs to pdf converter".

I've created a page to deal with this issue :
http://www.mattsbits.co.uk/item-57.html

Username: Babytimothy

what is vhs-c stands for??? i'm also looking for hi-8mm digital vhs adapter cassettes. where can i buy it. i don't want my recorded tapes sitting in the dust. 911

Post Number: 10
\Babytimothy--You must read all of the truely knowledgeable people postings on this BLOG, that say that there is no such thing as a hi-8mm or any 8mm adapter to play 8mm tapes and record them in any other format--VHS Tapes or on DVD Disks. Now the answer has been posted by me--and many others. What you need to do is have some professional do it for you -(at a high cost)--or you can do it yourself. You need to buy a dual VHS/ DVD Recorder and play your 8mm or hi-8mm tapes on your Sony 8mm Camera/Player and connect it to your VHS/ DVD recorder and then connect your VHS/DVD Recorder to your TV and you can watch and monitor the 8mm tapes being played while you are recording them on either VHS Tapes or DVD Disks. If your 8mm Camera is not working, then you must buy a 8mm Sony Camera on Ebay. Othrwise, you can just let your 8mm tapes get dusty or just throw them away.-----}

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
I have owned a DVD recorder since 2005. My first was a JVC. Now I have the Magnavox with 160GB hard drive. It's wonderful for recording programs longer than 2 hours.

Anyway, Tony's solution is an excellent and the easiest.

VHC-C ==> VHS compact which is not 8mm

I have both VHS-C tapes and 8mm tapes, and they are NOT the same.

Username: Lostinthought

Hi--I've read all the previous postings which are very informative to me minus the few just-plain-rude ones. I have trouble keeping up with my children, let alone technology. So here are my questions--I have Hi8mm tapes recorded on a Sondy Digital 8 Handycam. I tried to play them back and found the tapes had vertical lines running through them, no sound, or the sound would jump around. I even have a tape which showed a blue screen although I'd written on the outside what we'd recorded on it.

I was trying to determine if the handycam is broken, and what to do about the tapes. From the information above it sounds like a good way to convert is to buy a DVD recorder. But someone wrote you need a Firewall instead of a composite. I have a composite but I don't know what a firewall is.

By the way, I also have the plugs for the computer, and it does come with the USB port. Someone else wrote not to use a USB port. I have the Picture Package computer CD by Sony that came with it but I have been unsuccessful getting it to work on the computer.

Since the hi8 tapes are not playing back well on the handycam I am concerned they won't record well on the DVD. Someone wrote about Hi8's--that they have to be played on the camera that recorded them--but I'm 95% sure we recorded these tapes on this handycam.

What do you think my chances are of getting a good recording on a DVD are? Should I try to work through the computer, a DVD recorder, or send them out? (I think Costco converts them.)

Only the nice, patient folks need reply.

Post Number: 6
For old tapes it is worth fast-forwarding to the end, then rewinding. Then doing it again. This can help make sure the tape is evenly wound on the spools and this can sometimes ensure a smoother playback.

8mm is analogue so it can only output an anlogue signal. In this case you are stuck with composite. "Firewire" is digital and isn't an option for 8mm camcorders. The camera will output analogue and whatever you plug it into needs to accept that signal.

If the tapes playback badly on the camera it is unlikey it will improve if you record that on something else. A distorted signal coming out of the camera is going to get recorded as a distorted signal.

Try the fastforward/rewind trick.

Also if the tapes have been stored somewhere that isn't room temperature (shed, garage,attic) give the tapes and camera time to adjust.

How are you powering the camera? If you are using a mains adapter make sure the output cable is separated from the mains cable as much as possible to reduce the chances of interference.

Try using batteries and see if that makes any difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
HELLO Leslie and Matt Hawkins.
In regard to all the suggestions made on this subject, There are some facts that you should know. They are 1) All Outputs from your Sony 8mm Camcorder are Analog. 2) All the inputs to any TV or DVD Recorer are also Analog. 3)The recoding mode on these devices may be recorded in either an Analog or Digital MODE, on the tapes or DVD Disks but the inputs and outputs are always in the Analog mode, Again, Inputs and Outputs are always in the analog mode. If the output from you Sony 8mm Camcorder does not play well, as seen on your TV, then they will not be recorded any better on a DVD recorder. Playing your tapes on your Sony 8 mm camcorder over and over, may get your 8mm camcorder may eventually get your camcorder to work correctly.Otherwise you may need to buy another used Sony 8mm camcorder because yours may be broken. Again please, forget about the way these tapes and DVD Disks are recorded because the outputs are always in an analog mode.
Your NICE and PATIENT guy-- Tony

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Leslie,

Hi8 tape is just the tape size. If you have as you say, a Digital8 Handycam -- you didn't give your model number -- then the information that is recorded on that tape is digital. That camcorder will have a Firewire port also known as iLink also known as IEEE1394.

Contrary to what tony wrote above, that Firewire output from your camcorder is digital.

When using the Firewire port on your camcorder every bit of information that was recorded on the tape is transfered intact to the DVD.

Also, contrary to what tony wrote above, not all inputs to any TV or DVD recorder is analog. HDMI is digital and all the new TVs have HDMI input and some of the new video gadgets have HDMI output [FlipMinoHD for example] to connect to it. For our discussion, Firewire is digital, and some DVD recorders have Firewire input.

So, once you have your tapes playing right, then you should buy a DVD recorder with Firewire input and connect up your Sony camcorder to it using a 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable. This is what I do with my Panasonic camcorder. Very easy to do. And very easy to create a DVD from it.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hello--again Leslie, Mat Hawkins an now--ieee488--
I repeat, Do not listen to Mat Hawkins nor now ieee-488- I own a Sony Hi 8 Camcorder. The output is Anaog. The input to all THREE of my TV's are also Analog and the input to my Panasonic and my Motorola DVD Recorders are also Analog. It is the way the tapes are recorded that are different only. My Sony Hi 8 Camcoder will play standard 8mm or Hi 8 tapes and record on either Hi 8 Standard 8mm tapes. The model number of my Sony Camera Recorder is CCD-TRV318. MY PREVIOUS Sony 8 mm camcorder was exactly the same (different models) I have repared both these Sony and Canon 8mm type--Tape recorders and I know for what I am talking about. Non of these have a Firewire output nor input. nor an IEEE1394 PORTS. NOW, MR KNOW IT ALL-=- BUT KNOW NOTHING ieee488---- I also have an HDMI--TV and the input is also either Analog or HDMI which is also a variation of Analog and NOT Digital.---- Now,-- non --I SAY NON-- of these Sony 8mm or Hi8-mm Camcorders have Digital outputs. Again all DVD Recorders as well as all TV's have analog inputs-- No adapter cables are needed and all Sony Hi8 or standard 8mm camcorders only have ANALOG OUTPUTs. Contrary to all of THINK-THEY- KNOW-IT ALL-PEOPLE.--------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- YOUR FRIENDLY, NICE, AND PATIENT PERSON ----} TONY

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15479
Mmmmmh!

HDMI sound not digital?????

Are you joking Tony?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15480
HDMI supports up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, and 192 kHz. HDMI also supports any IEC 61937-compliant compressed audio stream, such as Dolby Digital and DTS, and up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio (used on Super Audio CDs) at rates up to four times that of Super Audio CD. With version 1.3, HDMI supports lossless compressed audio streams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

How you explain that Tony?

Lol tony, you're an idiot. Firewire and ieee1394 are the same thing. Most of the latter year 8mm camcorders had this output and it's the best output to use since it's digital and won't further degrade the video and audio quality. Matt hawkins is correct and gave excellent advice. Also, I really hope you (Tony) were lying about repairing these things, since it's clear you know very little about them. And lastly, Tony, do yourself a favor and have a grown up review your post next time so you don't come off as a third grader Esl student.

God that felt good.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15481
"YOUR FRIENDLY, NICE, AND PATIENT PERSON ----} TONY"

No comments!!!!!!!

Apologies I failed to read the "Digital" bit in Leslie's original post.

Everything I said was true for normal 8mm.

I think we are all talking cross purposes and it won't really help anyone reading this who needs help.

Rather than argue with people I will continue to state facts to help the camcorder users reading this get help rather than see a bunch of geeks argue about stuff that isn't helping.

1) 8mm and Hi8 camcorders record in analog
2) Digital8 records in digital
3) 8mm, Hi8 (and some Digital8) can all read 8mm tapes
4) Only Digital8 can read tapes recorded in Digital8
5) Digital8 can record onto normal 8mm tapes but Sony always recommended using Hi8 tapes.
6) Digital8 cameras should have a Firewire port
7) Firewire, iLink and IEEE1394 are the same thing

Leslie, if you are still reading this could you confirm the model number of your camera? This will clear a lot of things up.

It is highly likely if you camera is Digital8 that it has a digital Firewire interface. This just needs to be connected to a PC or Mac with a Firewire port using the correct Firewire cable. This allows you to transfer the digital data to your computer. It's digital so nothing gets lots in the transfer unlike analogue.

This may not help if there is something wrong with the tapes (my advice about fast-forwarding and then rewinding it still valid) but at least you will stand the best chance of trying.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hello all of you insulting think you know it all but know nothing people like Anonymous//Plymoumoth/Hawkins that all pretend that they know it all-- I say to them "GET A LIFE". WE are talking about the Sony Hi 8 and ------8 mm tape camcoders, the output of which is analog both video and sound. These guys who think they know it all but know nothing think they are smart making statments about IEE1394/ Firewire mode of recording and tossing around HDMI saying SOME (NOT ALL) new video gadgets have have HDMI OUTPUT. You know nothing guys-- try to make people think you are smart when you are not. All TV's have Analog inputs both Video and sound. They may also have HDMI Inputs but all Sony 8mm and Hi8 tape recorders only have analog video and sound outputs --Non of the Sony 8 mm or HI8 camcorders have HDMI Outputs. And all Video DVD Recorders have Analog inputs. Now, we are talking about Video and Audio inputs and outputs. We are not talking about which mode that tapes are recorded in. It makes no diverence how the media is recorded (Analog or Digital), the outputs of these devices are analog. So get a LIFE -------------------------------}Your Nice and Friendly guy--Tony

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
Tony,

Who's talking about Sony Hi8. Leslie clearly stated she has a Digital8. Do you have a problem with reading and understanding English???? Too funny.

You really are ignorant. Hopefully, people who read this thread will see you for what you are which is a fraud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ieee488--- says he has a Panasonic camcorder and uses a firewire cable to connect to his computer. All of you should know how dumb he is to answer these questions about 8 mm Tapes and/or Hi8 tapes and he says he uses a firewirel cable with his Panasonic camcorder. Now, I ask you who may believe his fairy tales , " how can this ieee488 fool give you answers regarding Sony 8 mm Tapes or Hi8 tapes with his nonexisting experience using a Panasonic Camcorder.. Panasonic never made a camcorder that played 8mm/Hi8 tapes. Again I say, these 8mm/Hi8 recorded in either analog or in digital format only have analog outputs. The recording mode may be either analog or digital but the outputs are always analog. You must use the analog outputs connected to the analog inputs to your TV or to your DVD Recorder. You should monitor your 8mm/Hi8 tapes on your TV while you are recording this data on a DVD recorder, by connecting the ANALOG outputs from your Sony 8 mm/Hi8 tape camcorder to the analog inputs of your DVD recorder and connecting the Analog outputs of your DVD recoder to your TV.. Forget about using a computer to transfer your 8mm tapes onto DVD's. Play your tapes from your Sony 8mm/Hi8 camcorder using 3 RCA phono type cables into your DVD recorder first ,then connect the Analog outputs of your DVD recorder to the Analog inputs of your TV. This way, you can monitor the video/audio while it is being played by your Sony 8mm/Hi8 camcorder and being recorded on your DVD's.
.. All outputs and all inputs to your devices will be in analog format regardless of what mode Analog or Digital, that they are recorded in, on the tapes or the DVD's. }

Post Number: 8
Tony, not sure what your problem is with me.

This thread started off about 8mm and Hi8 but Leslie stated she had a Digital8 camcorder. I missed that fact in my first post but I was grownup enough to admit when I realised.

Nothing I have said is incorrect. If you believe I have stated something wrong why don't you clearly point this out. It's not difficult. Watch. I'm about to clearly stated why you don't know what you're talking about. Here goes :

"All outputs and all inputs to your devices will be in analog format regardless of what mode Analog or Digital, that they are recorded in"

Wrong. It DOES matter how the data was recorded on the tape. If you've got a digital camcorder you will have a digital output. This IS important for people who are reading this wondering how to transfer there stuff to another format.

If you record in Digital8 why on earth would you attempt to export that in anolgue?

I agree that HDMI is irrelevant here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Matt Hawkins.--- I do not have a problem with you, personally. But I have an advantage over you about the Specifications on most all Sony Camcorders. I also have the instruction manuals on these products. I also own the ccd318 Sony Camcorder. You also can down-load these specifications and manuals via your computer on the internet and therefore you can find out how these products really work and not guess -- what outputs they have. You will find, (in these instructions), what inputs and outputs these Sony Camcorders have. And for the unlearned person, you can see the illustrations (Pictures to you) of the input/output connections these Camcorders have. They have an S-video connection and they also have the standard A/V (Audio/Video connection) ,which is supplied with the camera. Now please inform yourself about the specifications of these Sony Camcorders.-- Yes, you will find out that the Output of these Camcorders is in an Analog mode.Not Digital. You should know, if you have any electrical knowledge on the subject, The method of recording on these 8mm tapes or Hi8 tapes are either Analog or Digital. But the output is always analog. Now these cameras were made to show the videos recorded by them} on TV's. Now I did not mean to critisize you personally, however if you are instructing Leslie about her Sony Camcorder, please do not confuse the lady, and tell her the truth.----------Thank-you- Tony

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
please do not confuse the lady, and tell her the truth.
Now, ain't that just TOO funny.

I own a Panasonic camcorder, but before I bought mine, I borrowed my friend's Sony Hi8 camcorder.
I preferred the miniDV tape (digital) over the Digital8 (digital - owned by Leslie).

tony,
It may pain you to know that I actually know what I am talking about. You on the hand... You must be in grade school because you are not grownup enough to be able to admit you know very little about what you are writing about here. Sad.

Tony you are still wrong. Thanks for the patronising information but Digital8 camcorders record in DIGITAL and have DIGITAL FIREWIRE outputs.

Why in would you record in Digital and not be able to output in digital?

You claim to know everything there is to know about every camcorder ever produced by Sony. I suspect you've never shot anything in a digital format. That's fine. I know lots of old timers like analogue but Digital8 camcorders output Digital.

Viewing on a TV is one thing you might want to do with them but exporting the digital data onto a PC is another. I've never played back anything from my camcorder on a TV. It all goes straight into my PC for editing. (in digital).

As you are an expert I think you should inform Sony. They advertise the following Digital8 camcorder models (on their website) as having a digital outputs :

DCR-TRV245E, DCR-TRV250E, DCR-TRV255E, DCR-TRV270E, DCR-TRV25E, DCR-TRV265E etc etc etc

and guess what? They have DIGITAL IN as well. It's called DV.

The clue is in the name.

Anyone reading this who wants a laugh at Tony's expense Google the following phrases :

"digital8 wiki"
"sony digital8"
"digital8 firewire"

It really is that simple.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15491
Tony the azz hole

You stated that: "I also have an HDMI--TV and the input is also either Analog or HDMI which is also a variation of Analog and NOT Digital."

To stay as polite as you: You are a idiot!

Learn kid and stop your idiotic non sense Blah Blah!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Plymouth -- I guess you and Matt must be sleeping buddies because you guys stick up for one-another with your untrue Statements. Outputs from these Sony Camcorders are Analog and not digital. --Even though they may be have been Recorded in the Digital Format.--Non of the TV's nor DVD recorders on the market receive Digital information (Except BLUE-RAY DVD recorders) and non of the Sony Camcorders send Digital Picture or Digital sound. Quit making up false stories. Outputs from these Camcorders are meant to be sent to your }}TV's for your veiwing pleasure. Who in their right mind would want to watch their home video movies on their Computer.--

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
-Even though they may be have been Recorded in the Digital Format.--Non of the TV's nor DVD recorders on the market receive Digital information (Except BLUE-RAY DVD recorders) and non of the Sony Camcorders send Digital Picture or Digital sound.
completely FALSE

Heaven help anybody who believes this tony baloney.

Outputs from these Camcorders are meant to be sent to your TV's for your veiwing pleasure.
What people want to do with the outputs from the camcorders is up to them.

Who in their right mind would want to watch their home video movies on their Computer
A lot of people do. And they also want to create DVDs from them. Hard to believe for you, huh???

Hey, guys, go easy on Tony. He is right after all. I don't know of a single camcorder past or current that has a digital output. Not a single one. Also, I don't know of any TV's that have them either.
Another valid point: absolutely nobody connects their camcorder to their computer. One, because it's impossible (no digital outputs, remember? *scoff* idiotmorons). And two, because Youtube is also analog, and thus, does not require a computer.
It seems non (see what I did there?) of you know what you're talking about and clearly, Tony is the only on (did it again) here with any brains. By the way, Tony, I need my 8mm camcorder fixed and I hear you're the guy. How much would you charge for me to mail it to you. Here's the model I have:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/DCRTRV350_mksp.pdf

Also, I have this DVD recorder:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VRDVC30_mksp.pdf

I'm connecting them with an iLink cable (definitely not firewire/ ieee1394) and I keep getting these great quality videos on DVD (not Blu-ray) popping out. Clearly something's wrong. I'll just send them both to you so you can have a look. Of course, in order to do this, I'll need your full name, address, social security number, credit card numbers, and the alarm deactivation code for your apartment.

Thanks for all the help, friendly, nice, and patient Tony.
<3

Hi Guys--
I really appreciate all the time you have taken to help me with my understanding of how to fix my problem with my Hi8 mm tapes.

I may have misled you in trying to describe my problem. The camcorder is called Sony Digital Video Camera Recorder DCR-TRV/460 NTSC. When I bought it I understood it could play the Hi8 tapes as well as use a memory stick for digital. Being the non-techie that I am, I used the Hi8 mm because I understood those.

It did come with the analog cords you describe with the three ends that connect to the VCR/TV/DVD, etc. It also came with a cord (I don't know what kind it is) but it has a USB connection to one end and a connection like I see used with cell phones on the other end. I don't know if that is just meant for if you use the memory stick on it or not.

The first thing I will do is run my HI8's through the camcorder to see if they improve. Both tapes and camcorder have been in the house (pretty much room temperature). However, the camcorder has been sitting next to the DVR from Dish Network if that makes a difference.

After I run the tapes through I will go through your additional suggestions to see what may work.

I really, really appreciate you taking so much time to help a non-techie resolve a problem. I feel bad I've caused conflict between you all. I'm open to all opinions, information and knowledge. Thanks so much.

Obviously Digital8 doesn't exist. It is just a conspiracy theory. Digital doesn't exist. Only Tony knows the truth. I suspect he is using an alias because the CIA will be after him now.

I've shot hundreds of hours of digital video and transferred it via Firewire, I must have been confused. It was analogue all along. Why did I waste money on a Firewire cable when a piece of old speaker cable would have done the trick!

Here is some info on the Digital8 conspiracy that shows that Tony may be patient but is wrong. Digital8 outputs Digital. End of story. Don't believe me? How about Sony and the rest of the Universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital8

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sdh-digital-8

Leslie, don't worry about it. I just don't want someone ever reading this post and failing to preserve their memorys on video because of completely false information. I'm happy they everyone will read my posts and research themselves and know I am right and Tony is talking rubbish. He is either confused or is just making it up because he gets off trying to mislead people. Whoever he is anyone reading this thread will be laughing at him not with him!

Do a Google image search for "firewire connect" and see if one of your cables looks like the pictures. Firewire looks like USB but the connector is slightly different.

Good luck with your camera.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well, Matt Hawkins- If you are pretending to be so smart , please provide us the means that you propose that these Sony 8mm/Hi8 camcorders can connect to TV's and or DVD recorders, . What brands of TV's or DVD's have Firewire or Digital inputs?. You will find that non of them have this capability,
Waiting for you to get off of the pot, Not the pot you are smoking, But the one you are sitting on. You better keep sitting so you can get rid of the crap you are full of. Oh, by the way don't say that the Broadcast via Digital TV signals that are sent on the airways and received by antenna are examples. Digital tunners are required to convert these signals to,,,guess what? Would you believe-- Analog.-This type of Digital reception does not pertain to Sony 8mm/ Hi8 or Digital Camcorders. You are probably one of those dumb guys that do not know the difference between HD (Hi Definition) and Digital, because you probably wrongly believe they are the same thing.-But they are not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
8mm/Hi8 camcorders are analogue and have analogue outputs.

Digital8 camcorders are Digital and have digital/analogue outputs (and sometimes outputs).

miniDV camcorders are Digital and have digital/analogue outputs (and sometimes outputs).

This thread has nothing to do with TVs or TV broadcasting. If you need help using a TV can I suggest you visit another forum.

You use whatever connection you need to use to get the job done.

If you want to play on a TV use a composite or s-video lead. If you want to capture the image use a composite, s-video or firewire depending on your capture hardware.

Leslie doesn't care how she plays it back. She just wants to get the images off the tapes. If she has to playback on a computer via Firewire she will be happy. It is only you who is obsessed with TVs.

Leslie has got a Digital8 camcorder and the easiest way of getting at the data on a Digital camcorder is to connect it to a PC or Mac using Firewire. She has already mentioned she is having problems with playback. If the data is not corrupt Firewire is the way to go.

You can then convert the digital data into DVDs if you like to play on your TV.

Not sure why you are filling your posts with irrelevant "filler"? Probably to try and distract people from reading Leslie's questions so they don't realise you've gone off on a tangent. No one is talking about Digital TV broadcasts except you. What has a digital TV tuner got to do with simply extracting video from a Digital8 camcorder?

Composite, s-video or Firewire. Easy.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15494
Tony

Sony Digital8 use the VD Codec throught the IEEE 1394 interface to link with the PC

A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or decoding a digital data stream or signal. The word codec is a portmanteau of 'compressor-decompressor' or, more commonly, 'coder-decoder'. A codec (the program) should not be confused with a coding or compression format or standard -- a format is a document (the standard), a way of storing data, while a codec is a program (an implementation) which can read or write such files. In practice "codec" is sometimes used loosely to refer to formats, however.

A codec encodes a data stream or signal for transmission, storage or encryption, or decodes it for playback or editing. Codecs are used in videoconferencing, streaming media and video editing applications. A video camera's analog-to-digital converter (ADC) converts its analog signals into digital signals, which are then passed through a video compressor for digital transmission or storage. A receiving device then runs the signal through a video decompressor, then a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for analog display. The term codec is also used as a generic name for a video conferencing unit.

Sony's implementation of the system, "i.LINK", used a smaller connector with only the four signal circuits, omitting the two circuits which provide power to the device in favor of a separate power connector. This style was later added into the 1394a amendment. This port is sometimes labeled "S100" or "S400" to indicate speed in Mbit/s.

The system is commonly used for connection of data storage devices and DV (digital video) cameras, but is also popular in industrial systems for machine vision and professional audio systems. It is preferred over the more common USB for its greater effective speed and power distribution capabilities. Perhaps more important, FireWire uses all SCSI capabilities and has high sustained data transfer rates, important for audio and video editors. Benchmarks show that the sustained data transfer rates are higher for FireWire than for USB 2.0, but lower than USB 3.0. Results are marked on Apple Mac OS X but more varied on Microsoft Windows.

Operating system support

Full support for IEEE 1394a and 1394b is available for Microsoft Windows XP, FreeBSD, Linux, Apple Mac OS 8.6 through Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, NetBSD, and Haiku.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
Hello, Leslie,

Good news for you is that your model of camcorder has a IEEE1394 (Firewire) port. This means you can in one single step transfer videos from your camcorder to a standalone DVD recorder.

Buy a 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable. Very cheap on eBay.

Buy a DVD recorder with Firewire input.
The Toshiba DVR620 from Newegg would be a good one to buy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882116136

Connect camcorder's Firewire port to DVD recorder's Firewire port. The DVD recorder will recognize that the camcorder is connected. Put DVD-R or DVD+R into DVD recorder.

Truly this is a no-brainer. This is the way I recommend for you.

You can go through the steps of buy a Firewire card and installing into your PC and then using Windows Movie Maker software to transfer the video over to your PC's hard drive. There is a website to help you with this http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net

All of this dependent that you have good tapes.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15497
Tony said: "Who in their right mind would want to watch their home video movies on their Computer"

Me!

My 52" Aquos is hooked on the PC throught HDMI(digital) then I get a full HD 1080p on Youtube video with exactly same quality than BlueRay disc.

Learn my friend!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Plymonth and ieee488-- You guys are very good at screwing up the facts for watching the video recorded on their Camcorders on their TV's by telling people that they have to buy special equipment and or cables to allow making connections of their Sony camcorders outputs to a TV and/or a DVD recorder. Most TV's and DVD Recorders do not have the inputs that you discribe.. Most TV's and DVD's will accept the outputs of the Camcorder without special equipment or cables or a computer, using cables provided with their camcorder

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Tony, we are responding to an issue posted by Leslie. We are all well aware of how to connect a camera to a TV using analogue leads.

Leslie wants to get her video onto DVD. Go ahead and read her post. It's all there.

Given she has a DIGITAL camera the best way of her creating a DVD from her footage is to pull the video onto her computer via Firewire. That's a total cost of $20.

Can you buy a DVD Recorder for less than $20? Because that is what you want Leslie to spend. Not only is your advice to spend $100+ but you want to slaughter the image quality as well!

Taking a digital source outputting it in analogue and then converting back to digital is madness.

Firewire onto a PC is cheaper and technically superior to your rather unhelpful suggestion of simply sitting there watching distorted video on the TV. All because you don't believe that digital exists.

Once you've a digital camera Firewire is cheaper and better.

As you an expert on digital video transfer, editing and publishing I challenge you to a duel. Link to a few of the films you have created in the digital domain and I'll post links to some of mine.

Anyone else curious to see Tony put his talent where his mouth is?

Hi again--It's Leslie. I have re-read everything that's been posted, and slowly, very slowly, I am learning. I am actually understanding some of the lingo. I do have a DV connection underneath the AV connection.

I am currently fast forwarding/rewinding my Hi8 tapes. So far I've been unsuccessful. I also put in a head cleaner for the camcorder, but it did not help.

I am now going to Google "Firewire connect" to see if that looks like the wire I have. I will then try to get the computer to cooperate. I have a sinking feeling that the camcorder may be bad so nothing may work. I just hope the tapes aren't bad.

If nothing works, I will probably send a tape out for conversion to see if someone else has success with my tapes. If they do then I know I need to get another camcorder and will take that route.

Does this sound like a good plan? I am still amazed at how much help you are giving me. Thanks so much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
Leslie,

I doubt that the cable you have is a Firewire cable. It was not included with my Panasonic camcorder. But it is $3 on eBay.
What you have is most likely a USB cable.

If you are not able to get the tape working for you with your camcorder, I agree that it is a good idea to see if a professional can do better with it. They do have more expensive equipment. However, I would not send out the tape for conversion unless you are willing to be comfortable with the possibility of it getting lost in the mail. Find a local store that does this.

I've just googled the firewire cable. I think I have a firewire/USB cable as it does not look like the firewire cables I saw, and it does look just like the cable I have on my external hard drive.

If I find a firewire outlet on my computer can I transfer work from the DV outlet to the computer with a double firewire, or should I just use the cable I already have with the USB?

My problem with the computer is getting it to take the Picture Perfect CD that came with the Sony. Someone mentioned using a movie prgram from Microsoft. If that is so, it might help me to be successful on the computer. I also have a Mac, but in reading the directions on the Sony CD, it won't work with a Mac. Can I just plug in the camcorder to the Mac and use a program already on the computer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
Firewire/USB cables are very very rare and quite pricey. You don't have one.

Sony includes USB cables with their camcorders. That's what you have.

Firewire on your Windows PC is not that common. I doubt your computer has one.

You might find one on your Mac.

I don't use a Mac.

http://www.iskysoft.com/article/import-camcorder-video-to-mac.html

http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/imovie/im2-1.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hello Leslie,
Just one word of caution here, regardless of how you want to transfer your recorded 8 mm tapes to DVD's or other media, you must first be able to play these tapes back on your Camcorder and see if the playback as seen on your LCD Screen on your Camcorder works and is visable to your satisfaction. If the video is not correct, it will not transfer and copy correctly to any other media. If your video is not seen correctly on your LCD screen of your Camcorder, your Camcorder is defective and needs to be repaired or replaced. Sorry for all the confusion you have experienced here in these blogs on the subject, but facts are facts, and thats the way it is.

Thanks. I have checked every tape and none of them are working on the camcorder. So I believe the camcorder is defective. I am now looking for one on e-bay. I did send out two tapes to see how it works at Costco, and I do hope I don't lose those. I also bought a DVD recorder because I have an older camcorder (analog--VHS-C) that also needs to transfer. I don't know if I have to transfer it to VHS first and then transfer over or not. I was thinking so long as it had the audio/video plugs it could transfer to the DVD recorder.

I understand now I have USB connectors with the camera, but the camera does have capacity for an iLINK--I found it in the manual. I also bought a firewire (and about fainted at the price). I still think cords should run about $10-15. I'm in a holding pattern, though, until I can get a working camcorder. Thanks so much for all the help. Leslie

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
Hi, Leslie,

You are correct. As long as your older VHS-C camcorder has the video+audio output jack and you have the cables, connect the camcorder right up to the DVD recorder, and you are in business.

The Firewire cable should only have cost you $3 on eBay including shipping. If you buy it at a Best Buy or something, it does cost you $$$.

Username: Rupfeiff

Boy you People make a simple solution sound so complicated.
Yes there are different type of Cassettes.VHS 8mm for which you need a VHS Camcorder,VHS-c wich are 16mm and need a Adapter to play on you VCR.Then there is the origional Betamax Cartridge for which you need a Betamax Player.
I have all those things and will convert your Films to a DVD Disk at a very reasonable cost.
for informations ask: ernstrudy@gmail.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
There is no such thing as "VHS 8mm". "8mm" is 8mm and has nothing to do with VHS. Not now, not ever.

The tape in a standard VHS tape is 12.7mm wide.

VHS-C uses exactly the same tape as VHS so is also 12.7mm wide.

I wouldn't trust you with valuable family memories given your confusion about such "a simple solution"!

to Matt
so what should I do now with my stack of VHS 8mm Camcorder Cassettes .
What should I tell those many greatful People I converted theres VHS 8mm Cassettes to DVD ."Sorry there is no such thing ever and I will return your Money"????
ugh 12.7 not 16mm for that I will scold my VCR for making me think all this time he uses 16mm ,how terrible

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
Rudy,

You should put that stack of VHS 8mm camcorder cassettes in the same place that you would store an unicorn...
If you don't understand that analogy, what can I say?

As the following link says, the VHS tape case contains a recording medium - the tape - that is 12.7mm wide
http://www.dimensionsguide.com/vhs-cassette-dimensions/

oh you belive in Unicorns .How about Dinosaurs ?Santa Clause??
tell me there is no such thing ,never ever

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
"so what should I do now with my stack of VHS 8mm Camcorder Cassettes"

Don't do anything with them. They don't exist. There is no such thing as "VHS 8mm". There is VHS and VHS-C both of which use 12.7mm tape.

Camcorders using 8mm tape include Video8 and Digital8. Neither of these have anything to do with VHS.

Just to clarify my former input and calm down Matt
VHS or (Home Video System) Cassettes are analog Video
Video8 Camcorder Cassettes record analog videos , Hi8 Camcorder Cassettes record analog and digital Videos.
To upload those recorded Videos to my Computer ,I have a video converter (ca $90) which is connected to a USB port and Camcorder.
Once uploaded you can have fun editing and burning to DVD
Or you could send your Videos to me for conversion ,satisfaction guarantied
ernstrudy@gmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 507
Ah, Rudy,

I knew that you were not intelligent enough to understand my sarcasm regarding your stack of VHS 8mm tapes, and you proved me right.

ha ha ha

Sacramento, Ca Usa

@ Rudy

What you are saying makes perfect sense. I don't think some of the users that are inputting their [more than intelligent] remarks were even born yet or were too young to even remember during the era of VHS-8mm cartridge cassette tape adapters. However, you are doing a good thing by providing the video conversion services.

Keep up the good work!

thanks yohan vue .That's what I think too

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
"rudy" and "yohan vue" are clearly the same person. Either that or "yohan vue" also believes in the non-existent VHS 8mm cassette which "rudy" has just invented.

There is no such thing as "VHS 8mm". Nice troll but there is also no such thing as a "VHS-8mm cartridge cassette tape adapter".

VHS stands for "Video Home System".

"However, you are doing a good thing by providing the video conversion services." ... and there's the proof.

The choice is yours but why would you trust this person with your tapes?

Converting people's precious family tapes requires care and skill. Something lacking in someone who doesn't understand the technology and can't be bothered to learn.

I don't doubt you've captured some video off some camcorder tapes but please don't confuse other people by talking about something you don't fully understand.

As is now customary when dealing with users who are trying to mislead people I challenge Rudy (using any of his accounts) to :

- Provide a link to any commercial source of "VHS 8mm" tapes
- Provide a link to any technical information on "VHS 8mm"
- Provide a link showing that "VHS-8mm cartridge cassette tape adapters" ever existed.
- Provide a link showing a "VHS 8mm" tape.

Matt don't embarrass yourself further. You can't help it to be probably unemployable and extremely stupid

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
Rudy,

Matt isn't embarrassing himself. You are.

However, this is the internet where anyone can say anything.

For people who choose to believe you, they can. I am not going to stop them. It isn't my money nor my time that I will be wasting.

Hopefully, people will do due diligence and actually do their own investigation. What I have posted is corroborated by other websites. With Google's capabilities, it really isn't hard to learn about any topic.

Good luck to all those who seek the "VHS 8mm tape" or the "VHS 8mm tape cassette" or the "VHS 8mm tape cassette adapter". You will certainly need it.

Sacramento, Ca Usa

To Whom It May Concern,

We do realize that this "8-mm cassette tape adapter" no longer exists. However, it does not prove this item never existed. It, along with countless other obsolete items such as beta players, 8-track players, record players [vinyl], floppy disks etc will never resurface again on the face of this planet.

Who knows? Maybe one day, you will be explaining to the next generations that these items actually did exist at one point in our history?

Anyway, Kudos to you, Rudy! I shall seek your wisdom when I can save up enough to convert my 8mm tapes There are too many.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
Yohan vue,

You clearly have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

There is a big difference between something that is obsolete and something that is a a figment of your and Rudy's imagination.

Do yourself a favor and just quit before you make yourself look even more foolish than you do now.

Yes I agree that Matt is mistaken. Why he just wants to lie to everyone, I do not know. I use my 8mm VHS camcorder all the time and play them back on my 50" Sony VHS TV. When I want to put them on YouTube, I just connect it to my VHS computer using the VHS cable. And if anybody doesn't believe me, just give me your name and address and I'll jump in my Toyota VHS right now and drive to you to show you my VHS collection. I've even got the newer 8mm VHS Blu-Ray tapediscscassettes that are, of course, all backwards compatible with my 8mm VHS camcorder and player.

To summarize, Rudy was right. About everything. He's just so.... right.
Hey Rudy, could I use your services? I want to send you a bunch of my 8mm VHS tapes and have you convert them into a newer format like SACD VHS. I'll pay you whatever you want. Just post in this forum the following information:
Full name
Address
Phone number
Email Address
Social security number
Mother's maiden name
Favorite color

Look forward to doing business with you!

Oh you gays are so boring. This is the last time I will answer your insults.
Camcorders are to many to mention all the types here and all the fuss is about the 8mm Cassettes for my "Sony TR54 Video Camera Recorder8" and my "Sony TRV280 Digital Video Camera Recorder8" and the Names of the Cassettes in front of me are "Sony MP120 Video8" and "TDK 8mm Video Cassette E-HG120"
I use both for recording and converting Films very successful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
So in summary, despite claiming to own "VHS 8mm" equipment, Rudy has finally admitted he owns two quite normal 8mm camcorders.

Video8 and Digital8. Both 8mm formats. They take 8mm tapes.

Nothing to do with VHS what so ever. An adapter to allow 8mm tapes to be played in a VHS player has never existed. Ever. It's not old technology. It doesn't exist. Its technologically impossible.

All of the info me and ieee488 have posted is easy to check out simply using Google. Most of what Rudy and Yohan Vue has posted is nonsense.

Thanks Rudy & Yohan Vue. You guys are so funny.

Providence, RI Usa

ieee488, Matt Hawkins, and Popadopolis is one in hopes of gaining the upper hand. It's quite comical, really. HEHE!

shhh..Let's not tell this secret! [they're all geniuses]

Username: Char1

I have many 8mm video cassettes that I would like to transfer to DVD or at least store in my computer. I bought a Sony video recorder in 1993 and it used these TDK cassettes when our family went on a vacation. Stamped on the bottom it says P6-120HSThere was an 'adaptor' it fit into and then was placed in my video machine for playback if I didn't want to plug the camera itself into the TV. I have lost that 'adaptor' which was basically a large video with a centre area that the smaller 8mm cassette dropped into. The whole thing then fit into the video machine and was played that way.
If I have the terminology wrong I am sorry but I think the idea of what I'm saying is clear.
I am looking for that 'adaptor'. I had a friend who had the same system as I did. We both no longer have the cameras or the adpators but wish to transfer them onto DVD or even VHS.
I also have a few other 8mm video cassettes (VHS) that are a bit thicker and not as wide. One is printed with PRO TC-30 bu FUJI. I would like to have them transferred as well.
I have read through all of the previous posts and would appreciate some truthful replies.
I imagine another option is to find the actual camera at a pawn shop/EBay and play them back in it.
I'd appreciate any help but for anyone who does not believe this was how these casssettes were played back please don't reply. It is how it was done in 1993 and for several years afterwards. Things have changed for the better but in the meantime many people are probably wondering how to get these 8mm video cassettes and small VHS movies transferred to be compatible with the electronics of today.
thankyou,
CW
Toronto

Silver Member

Post Number: 533
SIGH.

This is simply incredible.

8mm confused with VHS-C tapes

The search for the unicorn continues...

I'm not sure what's incredible or not.
I have a grey TDK Super Finavinx-Metal Particle 8mm Videocassette HS 120 Metal Particle tape here. I used to have a larger unit/adaptor that it fit into and I placed it in my video machine and watched it.
I no longer have the unit/adaptor or the camera it was used in.
I want to get the movie images off of it and onto DVD or into my computer.
I also have a SMALL VHS PRO TC-30 tape and no way to view the movies on it.
No confusion - TWO separate tapes as I explained in my first post.

that's what I know.

Can you offer help or just rudeness.?

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
Incredible is that you believe that there was a 8mm adapter that lets you play that tape in a VHS machine.
You go right on believing there is such a thing.
Nevermind that the technical specifications makes it impossible.
But you know what, you keep on believing what you want to believe.

For the VHS-C tape, buy a DVD recorder/VCR combo. SIMPLE.

Well it's believable because I had one and so did my friend. I didn't make up something I'd otherwise have no idea about.
If you don't believe it that's your choice. I know what I had and what it was used for. It was also used in an older model video machine I had back then.
thanks for your replies.

Dear char1,

I'm here to help.

ieee488 and MattHawkins are two of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. I'm sure ieee48 is simply having a bad evening and just tired of hearing the same old problem and I relate because it's frustrating.

it is a technological fact that you cannot play an 8mm tape with a VHS-C adapter for a VCR. Please read the above posts by Matt, myyself and ieee48 and let this disinformation stop at once.

A VHS-C tape is 12.7mm (wider) and an 8mm tape is, well, you guessed it ... 8mm. It will not play on a VCR. End of story.

Adapters were only made for VHS-C cameras so that they could play on a VCR, thereby saving wear and tear on the camcorder. Not possible at all with 8mm. It's easy to get confused.

I truly hope this helps people who have been totally confused with their VHS-C Adapter thinking it can play 8mm tapes. It cannot. No device was ever made to play 8mm on VCR units. It is technologically impossible.

This link really helps to explain why:

thank you John. I appreciate your assistance with knowledge I can use and your ability to be civil with no condescending attitude. It's also nice of you to try to explain Mr. Hawkins behaviour.
I am sussing out a used camera (camcorder)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-CCD-TR71-Sony-8mm-HandyCam-Camcorder-/250746524192?pt=Ca mcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item3a61a85220
and an adaptor for the VHS C cassettes.
http://www.imshopping.com/review/dynex-vhsc-cassette-adapter-2
I won't even get into the old movies I have from the mid 50's and thru the 60's.. I have many of those to get transferred as well.
thank you again,
Char

Best of luck to you char1. This is off topic but for those really old movies on Super 8 "film" or even older format 8mm "film" (not tape) processing, developing and transfer to DVD I've used Dwayne's Photo and Yale Film. I still shoot with 1960's/70's Super 8 cameras and Yale has specifically been a pleasure to deal with. Happy Holidays.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
I know what I had and what it was used for. It was also used in an older model video machine I had back then.
Yeah, maybe an adapter for a Betamax machine maybe. That went the way of the dodo bird. It's extinct.

@JohnR, you may think it is okay that people such as 'char1' are essentially calling the naysayers of the 8mm - VHS adapter liars, because they claim that they had such an adapter. I don't appreciate being called a LIAR about something which is a FACT --- that a 8mm - VHS adapter NEVER existed.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15809
Incredible!!!!!

@ieee488 I don't think it's ok at all. I feel you. IMHO, getting in the gutter with those who offend is not going to help the casual readers of this board that have no clue. Bottom line is that you and Matt Hawkins know what you're talking about, and so do I, hence plenty of people will back you up in your statements because what you are stating is fact based on experience ... plus, you've been honestly helping people here for a long time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
I don't consider extreme sarcasm to be "getting in the gutter with those".

Frankly, those casual readers with no clue which 'Char1' is one still refuse to believe no matter how "nicely" something is put. I am just stating a fact that they will believe what they choose to believe. As 'Char1' posts proves yet again.

I highly doubt that your posts has convinced 'Char1' that this adapter that he claims he had which allowed him to play his 8mm tapes never existed and his memory is faulty and that he confused a VHS-C adapter with this mythical 8mm adapter.

Ieee488 I had a similar problem with a very arrogant SusieQ on here - you remember her. Dude, it's frustrating for me too, and he probably might not be convinced, but that's his loss and his problem. All we can do is point the way - which is what you've been doing. 'Nuff said.

Hi John, thanks again. I wish I could use your suggestion but I'm in Toronto!
lol
While I have learned something from both you and Mr. Hawkins it was you who took time to explain, give info and details so that I am now on the right track to solving the problem I came here to have solved.
From Mr. Hawkins I learned that once again politeness and respect will always win out.
Being right doesn't give anyone the permission to be arrogant with people who may not be as knowledgeable about these matters regardless of how many other times this question has been raised. This is why we have come to this forum - to get answers and clarification, not attitude and no help at all.
p.s. I never owned a Betamax machine.
Thanks once again for your kindness and assistance, it has been very helpful. I now will obtain the proper units for playback of both cassette types and will spend the rest of my life transferring the movies..LOL
Char
Best to you in 2011

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
char1,

The arrogance is your not believeing the dozens of posts spanning 5 years previous to yours.

So, JohnR's post now has made you a believer and the dozens before did not. Hallelujah. It's a miracle. Your brain has been saved!

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
char1,

To get clarification?
Oh, really.

How many times does NOT EXIST have to be written for arrogant people like you to finally believe it?

Huh, tell me. Are you so special that you need the same FACT to repeated again. Your brain cannot understand what was written prior????

By the way, Mr. Hawkins hasn't been here in the past few days. I am NOT mr. Hawkins. Get that straight as well.

Username: Freddy1

To Char1... please save me the time of reading thorough the 100s of posts concerning your problem. I have the same old tapes as you and want to view them. You state "I now will obtain the proper units for playback of both cassette types and will spend the rest of my life transferring the movies"
What exactly are you going to do? Perhaps I'll do the same and thank you for doing all the leg work. 732 525-1170

I found all posts prior to be full of bickering and thought perhaps someone could tell me what was required and NOT what I didn't know and how dumb I am.
Yes I see you are not Mr. hawkins, my mistake. I apologize to Mr. hawkins.
The ranting and raving in all previous posts must have confused me along with the nasty attitude with which it seems you are overly blessed.
John succinctly and politely told me what I needed to know. I now see I will need two different units. Telling me that something does NOT exist is not helping me find what DOES exist so I can transfer my movies. It is not helpful. You did not offer that info to me. It may be in those prior posts but if it is so bothersome to YOU that someone has asked about it again then don't answer! That would solve YOUR problem of dealing with us idiots!!
Let someone else who is willing to HELP answer and keep your snarkiness out of it altogether. We'll all be happier for it. I came here for some help and because you're so RIGHT you feel it necessary to be rude instead of nicely and informatively explaining things.
So now I have read the link John gave me, I have realized I have two different tapes, one that did have an adaptor and one that didn't. I mixed them up. Omigawd what a crime. You so lovingly YELLED - IT DOES NOT EXIST!.
Very helpful. and totally off putting. I never claimed to be so special - what is wrong with you? Because I would rather converse with someone who is polite and helpful you still feel it necessary to be a boor and bully calling me names and making assumptions. So much so you had to reply in two posts! Nice.

Freddy - I see you are another who doesn't want to deal with the previous distasteful discourse.
I am sussing out a used camera (camcorder)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-CCD-TR71-Sony-8mm-HandyCam-Camcorder-/250746524192?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item3a61a85220
or heading into Toronto to some great pawn shops to buy one
and an adaptor for the VHS C cassettes.
http://www.imshopping.com/review/dynex-vhsc-cassette-adapter-2

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Char
p.s. - ieee488 - no need to reply. I know what you'll say and I am not interested nor do I think anyone else cares to read another of your rants regardless of how much you know about all things electronic. Best of things to you in 2001 as well.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15812
I started to repair VCR and Camcorder in late 70's then I never heard of this kind of adaptor!

The link of John R explain very well why it could not work, I assume that for an uninitiated in the video technology, someone can think it possible but there is no way to make that it work!

Have a nice holiday with peace guys!

Silver Member

Post Number: 540

Best to you Char1 in 2001 too. As with everything else, you are wrong with that and 10 years too late.

Too hilarious!!!!!!

Oh you're SO clever!.
I'm sure ever other person here realized a typo when they saw it but only a true moron like you could find enjoyment out of it..and then actually post his unbridled joy.
I can change a typo but you'll always be a moron regardless of what year it is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
char1,

I do get a kick out of egging you on. It is so fun.

You who wrote in your first post --- I have read through all of the previous posts and would appreciate some truthful replies.
Yes, people love being called liars by you. You who enjoy calling others "morons".

Your behavior is no different than all the other disbelievers who came here claiming to want information but obstinately refuse to believe what was written.

Time and time again this behavior pattern repeats itself.

There will be others like you, Char1. That is for certain.

I wish that whoever is in charge of this Forum would prohibit Member "Ieee488" from posting his insulting and totally unproductive comments.
I personally will ask the Editor to stop this Weirdo from further postings and if there are more Members asking the same also, we could start a civilized and informative conversation.
Ps. This Guy is also using some other posting "Names"

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
Insulting?

Char1 is the person who called me a "moron".

You don't know how to read either?????

Providence, RI Usa

@ ieee488

"Char1" called you a moron after the fact. Don't get that confused. All the comments are there in an orderly sequence. Anyway, you seem bitter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
After the fact of what?

Bitter?
What does that make you? Rudy? tony?

ieee488 a Moron you say?
let me see,no I can't think of a better Name.Fits like OJ Simsons Glove

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
Do you Rudy honestly think your opinion matters to me?????
But I am glad this topic has lured you out of the woodwork.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
For the people looking for answers you need to identify the tape you are actually holding in your hand. VHC-C tapes are NOT 8mm.

You have either got VHS-C, 8mm, Hi8 8mm, Digital8 or MiniDV.

It is vitally important you state exactly what tape you have got otherwise you are never going to get a correct answer. VHS-C, 8mm (Video8 or Hi8) and MiniDV are different technologies and are not interchangeable.

IF you have got VHS-C you can put it in an adapter and play it in a standard VHS player. IF you have got any other sort of tape you will not be able to play the tape physically in a VHS player. In almost all cases you are going to need to play it in a suitable camcorder and digitise the output. Either using a PC or Mac with suitable hardware (capture card or USB dongle) or another camcorder that can convert an analogue signal to digital.

If you say you've got a VHS-C 8mm tape then you need to work out what it actually is. There is no such thing as VHS-C 8mm or an adapter that lets you play 8mm tapes in a VHS player.

At some point when I get the chance I am going to take photos of the tapes and the VHS-C to VHS adapter. I've got all of them and I hope this will make it easier for people to identify exactly what tapes they are talking about.

Of course you can play any tape in a player and get the video onto a PC and then onto a DVD or whatever.

Please anyone reading this looking for solutions just remember

"There is no 8mm to VHS adapter."

I'll give anyone who provides a detailed photo of such a device 1 million dollars.

There are however plenty of ways to get your video onto a DVD regardless of what format they are recorded in.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hello Leslie / Carol/ Brian, and all of you that have or have had
a Sony 8 mm TAPE Camcorder.
And you wish to transfer these videos to DVD's.
You must have a Sony 8 mm camcorder or obtain one.
All of these 8 mm Tape Camcorders were made
before HDMI Cable connections were introduced.
Manufacture of these Sony 8 mm Tape Camcorders were
discontinued before the HDMI interface was introduced.
To Transfer the Video from your 8 mm Sony tapes,
to your DVD Recorder DVD's and monitor the video on your TV
while it is being transfered ( to assure that it is working correctly)
is to connect the DVD Recorder unit between your 8 mm
Camcorder and then connect the outputs of your DVD unit
to the inputs of your TV.
If you want to transfer these 8 mm tapes
to a DVD and monitor the output of your Sony 8 mm Tape
Camcorder, it is suggested that the outputs from your
8 mm Camcorder be connected to the inputs of your DVD recorder first and then connect the outputs of DVD Recorder/player to your
TV inputs. In that way, you can monitor the video while you are
recording it onto your DVD Disks, to assure that the information is being recorded correctly. The best connection cables between
your Camcorder to your DVD Recorder and then from from
your DVD to your TV is to use the Standard RCA
phono Jack cables. Two for Sound and one for Video.
Most DVD Recorders have these cables furnished with them.
Sony 8 mm Tape Camcorders have cables or adapters cables
included with them.
Good Luck.-- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Username: Ghost_of_brian

Heaven, Ur mom's Murica

But like... Can you convert the tape tho? Still a little confused
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts