My System!$#!@!#@!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 530
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the humble apartment grade home theater system.

Upload
Upload

The pair of Alegria Audio Emma speakers is the pride and joy of the system. I personally love the walnut finish on them, although they apparently didn't sell too well. The second item of note is the SVS PB10-NSD subwoofer. I'll admit it is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Nonetheless, crossed in at 60Hz, it does an excellent job for my tastes. At the front end of the system is a Harman Kardon DVD player (DVD 27) and receiver (AVR140). They do a respectable job IMO, and overall I'm very happy with the sonic presentation of the system. And of course for night time listening, I've got a pair of Grado SR225s.

Now obviously I'm not a videophile :-) That is a massive 21" Sanyo LCD there folks. Of course since I sit about 7-8 feet away, it isn't so bad.

Anyways, comments + critiques are welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 498
Looking good , I have allso got a massive 20" inch LCD

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 258
Those speakers are gorgeous. I love walnut.

I would suggest an 80Hz crossover with monitor speakers though.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 534
"I would suggest an 80Hz crossover with monitor speakers though."

Generally speaking, I would agree; however, these aren't average monitor speakers. They're spec-ed down to 36Hz, with an actual in room response in the low 30s. I'll actually use them w/o a subwoofer a lot of the time for just pure music.

However, the speaker's depth combined with a desire to minimize localization of the subwoofer lead to the 60Hz selection.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 464
Real clean.
C'mon though, go ahead and splurge on a "little" bigger TV!
They aint so expensive anymore!

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 539
Someday (maybe Christmas). Given the distance I sit from the TV, I still wouldn't want anything *too* big though.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4658
Very nice and clean Stephen. Music first!!!

Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 7
holy cow! Im impressed!

Bronze Member
Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 14
That is a beautiful stain on those speaker cabinets! I also have to agree though, bigger TV is a must I have an 06' model Samsung 40" and I sit 8 feet away, I always say, "40 is the new 20" as far as TV sizes at least. My buddy just got the TV i have on outlet price at Circuit City for $1300. If it's too big you can always take it back(within 30days no questions), but for the price, a hundred bucks more than a smaller screen can get you a lot more screen. Last part doesn't make a lot of sense but you know what I mean little price jump= bigger tv

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7567
The speaker cabinets match the audio cabinets well. You left the grills off for the pics right? Looks good. A bigger screen would help, they're addictive lol. I mainly watch tv in my game room on my 52" Mitsubishi HDTV. I go upstairs and watch the news on a 27" and find myself squinting. You'll find that you adjust to the screen size. My father watched tv on 19" screens 15' away for 30 years and never complained. Once he got a big screen it was never turning back. He couldn't tell the difference between Daffy duck and Elmo on that same 19" tv anymore.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 705
" You left the grills off for the pics right?"

Yup, although I generally keep em off. No kids running around or anything like that to mess with em. As far as the furniture, it was bought after the speakers, so I tried to match as best as possible. Went to Ikea, and luckily I found something suitable.

"A bigger screen would help, they're addictive lol"

It'll be a go for my b-day (in August). Looking at 32" LCDs, although I haven't really started researching yet (though I should).

Gold Member

Post Number: 7584
Yeah kids tend to make me cautious lol. I can't tell ya how many times I've had to try and pull out the tweeter's cone. They're enticing buttons to children you know.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 710
Ohh I bet they are. When that day comes, I'll probably have to devise a system such that they'll never come near my toys...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1931
Stephen,

I was looking for a smallish flat panel monitor for my bedroom, and bumped into a 30" or so Olevia monitor for about $500 at BJ's. I have no idea if you have one near you, but they've got great prices. The Olevia TV I bought is awesome.

If you're looking for a great TV at a great price, BJ's has a great selection.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 751
Hey Stu,

Haven't heard of BJs, but I have definitely heard of Olevia, and their prices put them pretty high on my list of TVs to look at, along with Vizio (made by Samsung?). Of course I've also seen refurbed 42" Samsungs advertised for 800 shipped, which have been tempting me as well...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1932
Stephen,

BJ's is a national chain wholesale club, like Sam's or Costco. They have some stores in VA, but I have no idea what is near you. Membership is about $30 or so per year. Even if you buy a TV and never use it again, its definitely worth it.

Here's BJ's webpage -

http://www.bjs.com/

The TV I bought is actually 28", and here's a link to it -

http://shop.bjs.com/Olevia-27--34--Widescreen-LCD-HDTV-21-quot----29-quot-_stcVV productId7241578VVcatId428422VVviewprod.htm

I couldn't be happier with mine. To be honest, its better than the 43" Sony that I have in my living room that cost almost 3 times the price. I contemplated selling the Sony and buying a bigger Olevia for the living room, but I don't want to deal with the hassle.

The Vizio's looked pretty nice too. I think BJ's may have them in stock as well. They usually have more things at the store than the website.

Just a little food for thought.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1933
I almost forgot...

Great set up. I'm the same way with my system - less is more. Dollar for dollar, a 2 channel set up will blow the doors off of a surround set up.

How are those Emmas treating you? Its a shame Tim's no longer selling them.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 754
Thats not bad at all for that TV. Fortunately, I'm not a big videophile (ignorant and happy, yes I am), so I don't need anything too fancy. Audio is obviously a little bit different; I got afflicted with that bug and can't seem to get rid it.

The Emmas are still going strong. You know how it is; sometimes I get caught up at looking at all the pretty new speakers and reviews and wonder "what if". But at the end of the day when I pop in a CD, I just enjoy the music and forget about the flavor of the month speakers. In regards to Tim, I firmly believe that it was a labor of love rather than any attempt to make a big profit. The build and parts quality that went into Emma is superior to most if not all sub-1000 bookshelves I've seen. Heck, I consider myself lucky that I was able to get them for $499.

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 23
All the commotion about this store BJs reminds me of my afternoon, I happened to walk into Sam's Club to look at dehumidifiers and stumbled across a 26" Westinghouse with a built in DVD player for $550. I don't even need another LCD HDTV but I almost bought it on the spot. Surprised I showed so much restraint lol very proud of myself. Sorry just a random story :-)

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 757
Speaking of restraint....

Upload

Whoops

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 24
It looks fantastic :-) good purchase

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 84
Even for a non-videophile you must be loving your new screen, congrats on the upgrade...I for one have been waiting for it.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 758
I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. Its a 32", which just happens to be the perfect size for the cabinet. Overall, its superior to the old Sanyo in just about every respect. Hopefully now, the upgrade bug will go away...

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 85
Hmmmmm....that's what I thought when I got my new LCD but then I had to upgrade to the 360 and then I "needed" that Harmony universal, my center channel could be a lot better and nobody records on VHS anymore, plus your sub can never be big enough.

I guess what I'm saying is you're never done, I think we all have a disease called techdependitus, still there are worse things.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 759
LOL. Its probably borderline OCD for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8570
That is what I was talking about lol! Nice upgrade Stephen. Like I said though, they only get bigger and bigger. I pondered over a projector myself and might settle on one soon. I'm scared because what's the next size after that lol?

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 25
Hmm I haven't looked at your set up Paul but is your space a dedicated theater room? I wouldn't go with a projector unless I always watched it in the dark i.e. not a high traffic type living room.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us