My small apartment 'Home Theater' ...

Username: Velpo

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 2
I recently moved into this apartment with my girlfriend and both of our 27'' tv's weren't gonna cut it. I've always been intrigued by surround sound and home theater so I just did a tad bit of research and pieced this together in the past 6 months. I was grazing the forum tonight and decided to throw this up to hopefully get some insight on how I could improve my home theater. You'll notice I haven't gotten a sub yet, but I'm still determining how much I'm willing to annoy my neighbors. Any sub suggestions would be great as well. Our living room setup is awkward as all hell with stairs on one side, a fireplace on the other, and the kitchen behind, so I did what I could. We're planning on moving into a house next year so I tried to buy some good and valuable equipment that I could transfer to a much bigger living room and still have it be adequate. All criticism is appreciated.

--
HITACHI 60'' Rear Projection LCD
ONKYO TX-SR803 Receiver
JBL LC1 Center
JBL E80 Fronts
JBL E10 Rears and Back Rears
PANASONIC DVD-S97S
MOTOROLA Cable Box through Adelphia/Time-Warner (EVERYTHING)
Everything wired via Monster Cable (My friend said that it's the best, but most of these reviews seem otherwise)

I had never seen HD before but once I got it hooked up, I have yet to go back. Thankfully every month or so another HD channel pops up in my guide.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Pardon the mess, house cleaning is done tomorrow!

AND I'M OUT.

Bronze Member
Username: Apresler07

Canal Winchester, Ohio USA

Post Number: 46
That a great setup. Shouldnt the front speakers be spread out a little more though?

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 3
I'm not sure, thats why I'm here.

Should they?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9649
They are fine.

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 4
NEW - Added a JBL Venue 500watt 12'' Sub. WOW.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 389
yo u wanna have a party at your crib dog

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 608
Looks good, Hitachi makes awesome TV's you wont be dissapointed. Monster makes great cables IMO but ppl hate them b/c they are terribley overpriced.

Is that gamecube the only system you got down there ?, I thnk I see a slim ps2

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4141
Very nice pick for the A/V receiver.

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 5
Just bought an XBOX 360 to go with everything..

I'm not a gamer, but just gaming in HD + MADDEN07 coming out tomorrow.....

Life is good. Hah.

Bronze Member
Username: Apresler07

Canal Winchester, Ohio USA

Post Number: 51
Great choice with the xbox 360. My dad is about to buy one. If you want a pretty sweet racing game Project Gotham Racing 3 is awesome.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4314
I saw the AC/DC adaptor and couldn't believe my eyes! I had to look at the power output...12v at 16 amps!! Unbelievable, when the XBOX fries, you could hook up a small car amp to that thing :-)

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 6
Although this is the wrong forum, I didn't want to start a whole new topic -- my sub works great when watching HDTV or DVD, but when I'm playing CD's it does nothing. I also bought the ONKYO IPOD Cradle to hook up to my receiver and that does not make use of my sub as well. I can play all the different EQ Settings on my receiver with the cradle, including ALL SPEAKER sound, but still my sub just turns off from inactivity. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Javmo200

Michigan

Post Number: 61
Adam

Some subs will turn off or drop the signals (Security reasons) when for example a Wireless head phone is conected to the Headphone conector -- It happen to me with our sunfire)and it drove me crazy--Do you have component hook up? Check your A/V receiver set up during CD playing be sure the SUb is not being drop...

Monster cable are fine --just overprice

I am sooo glad I am not living next to you--enjoy --

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 141
Jexx what are you talking about? i re read ur post like 10 times and couldnt get anything out of it

Nice set up Adam

should gte some monster Game cables looks nice when playing the 360

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4510
Kyle,

The XBOX 360 AC/DC adaptor puts out 16amps @12 volts, which is enough power for a car amplifier. You can literally hook up a car amplifier to one and it will work. If you do not understand, don't worry about it :-) Not very important, it's my inner-geek more than anything.

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 435
looks good yo had alot of space to work with and it came out great.

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 8
So I'm finally moving and I want to make some changes. I have thought about painting my TV black since I bought the damn thing. Now that I am moving, I threw some electrical tape on it just to see what it would look like.. WAY better. Any suggestions on painting my tv? I'm definately not a handy man, so anything would help.

Thanks in advance.

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 9
Ok, I moved this week and set up some stuff.

I still have my rears to put up.. but I don't know where. Heres what I got so far:

Upload

Upload

Upload

I was debating if I should even put up the other 2 speakers or not.. I rather would, just don't know if there is a spot reasonable.

Please suggest something..

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 453
very nice

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 523
Adam you could allways get stands and nce new place man

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 10
Thank you.

I have still yet to put up the last two speakers.

5.1 ain't so bad though.

Now I got that itch for a second woofer though..

Username: Sahlomonic

Post Number: 3
Hey that's a great setup, man. Great receiver, too. How do those JBL surrounds sound? I'm currently using the Northridge N24II's for my left and right surround, and recently bought Polk Mini Monitors for the fronts until I can find the matching JBL Northridge fronts, either the N38's or ND310's.

You really want to paint that TV? It'll take a lot to take that casing off, and that's the only way to safely paint it; I wouldn't risk getting overspray into the insides . . . or you could just slather on some paint with a brush :-)

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 202
LOL... paint your TV black? HeHeHe

With that said, I totally understand where you are coming from. There is certainly something to be said for black. (& non-reflective components) When you buy a home, you'll also want to consider wall/ceiling colors to limit reflectivity.

PS: Nice apartment setup!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1807
­
I found it interesting that Hitachi came out with dark charcoal gray models the following year. And yes they looked way better. However, I'd leave the TV alone because you'll want to upgrade to 1080 when your Hitachi's light engine burns out next year.

PS: Is that a dead body on the couch?

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 13
Thats the wife on the couch, she'll sleep through anything. That night Saving Private Ryan was on SHO-HD and I turned that UP.. she didn't even flinch.

In regards to the posts, I'm probably gonna pass on the painting of the TV, and like you said, I'm due for a 1080p plasma.

I really have nothing to compare my surrounds to, but I think they sound really well. From the bass to the highs, they are producing very good.

AND I'M OUT!

Username: Fred333

Post Number: 1
Very cool setup. I like the use of space.

www.soundonusa.com

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 14
JOHN, when the light engine burns out? As of a couple weeks ago, I have a blue hue that covered a couple inches on the top left corner of the screen. Now it's about 4...

HELP!

Username: Sahlomonic

Post Number: 6
I initially thought it might be interference with the center or left front speaker, but given that it's JBL and wired with Monster, I highly doubt it. Could be something to check out, though. Does that TV have a "degauss" feature like PC monitors do?

P.S. How much did you pay for those speakers (each)?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1833
­
"JOHN, when the light engine burns out? As of a couple weeks ago, I have a blue hue that covered a couple inches on the top left corner of the screen. Now it's about 4..."

The main reason I started posting on this forum is because somebody long ago started a thread on the Hitachi 50V500, which I own. As I noted on that thread, if it weren't for all the pink/red/blue blob problems people were having that thread would have died long ago. Do yourself a favor and read this thread from about here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=623422#POST623422
­

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 15
I have some days where I can see almost NO cloud.. and others, where it is down right unwatchable.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1913
­
I don't recall anyone saying their blobs were intermittant, and when you consider the cause it doesn't make sense.

(The cause being a burnout on one or more of the three postage stamp sized LCD panels in the light engine caused be inadequate ventilation.)

I wonder if the 50" and 60" sets use the same light engine? The same light bulb?
­

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 16
Hmm, very interesting. It is definately a hit or miss thing for me. Usually the longer the TV is on, the bigger the blob. Do you think maybe a simple bulb replacement?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1917
­
"Do you think maybe a simple bulb replacement?"

Unfortunately, no. One of the hot topics very early on (from Oct '03 to Jan '05) was the life of the bulb and the cost to replace it. Since then some people have reported 6000, 8000 and even 10,000 hours on their bulbs. It is true that the color temperature of bulbs that age isn't ideal, but at least they aren't the cause of the blobs.

Well actually they are, indirectly. Because of the significant amount of heat projection bulbs produce, it is necessary to ventilate via a fan system. This is true with all rear projection TVs. The problem with the Hitachi system is that the necessary air filter for the system gets clogged too easily. This restricts air flow causing over-heating. In extreme cases, this causes one or more of the LCD panels to literally fry. Sony has had some similar problems with their TVs in the past. Guess who makes the panels for the Hitachis?

One of the posters on the 50V500 thread made some excellent pictures:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=897458#POST897458

Btw, you can find out how many hours your TV has by accessing the service menu. The first page shows the number of hours on at the upper right corner of the screen.

To access the service menu:

1) With the TV off and cool you open the front panel's control panel access door.
2) Press and hold the "INPUT" button then press the "POWER" button untill the picture comes in and then let go immediately.
3) You should see the first page of the service menu. To get out press "INPUT", or turn the TV off.

Change anything in the service menu at your own risk.
­

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 17
Very informative John.

So last night, my son was using the internet option through our Nintendo Wii. He was watching videos on YouTube and around the video portion of the site was the blue lines..

WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?!

Then after we turn off the Wii for a bit, the blue'ish glow returns to it's normal spot in the upper left corner of the TV.

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 18
And the TV is at 5,644hrs.

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 19
As of today, the blue blur moved to the upper right corner of the screen. It's alot smaller than before.

WHAT THE...

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1922
­
"WHAT THE..." is right.
I've not heard of a moving blob before.Upload

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 318
moving blobs, sounds like my electronic welding helmet when it shuts off, im not shure what kind of panel or filter is what they call it that it has but when it shuts off usually its cloudy but some times it dos weard thing like big blobs,

I would say your blue panel is shorting out problobly from heat and getting fryed as john said, and doing funky things, I sujest check your venting and then twards the end try slapping the thing like the BITCHHH it is, then kicking, and then picking it up and shaking it and slaming it to the ground, get as much as you can out of it, thats what I would do

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1928
­
That's right angelo. You gotta tell em who's boss. Show em tough love.Upload

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 20
Heres some shots:

Upload

Upload

Upload

I vaccumed off some dust from the rear and side vents just for the hell of it.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1930
­
The blue blobs seem to be in the same place in these shots. But you're saying they move around?

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 21
A couple nights ago it appeared in the upper right corner, but that was the only time.

If I'm using the TV as my monitor for the computer, the blue blob will appear as lines around certain dark objects, outlining them.

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 22
Oh man, over the past couple of days it has gotten 10x worst and brighter!

Upload

Upload

Upload

*gulp*

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1939
­
Holy Moly.....they do move!

Time to call Hitachi.......

Post these pics over on the Hitachi thread, please.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
Holy Crappp!!!! Looks like the visual start of one of my migraine headaches that I get about once a year, time to start slapping the side of that thing

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
I think you need an old priest and a young priest, the power of Christ will repel you!!! the power of Christ will repel you!!!

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 23
After 2 email's to Hitachi with no response, I contatced the Better Business Bureau a couple nights ago. I heard from Hitachi today. A tech will be out on Friday to determine if it is the LE or not and if it is, they will replace it.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 858
Sucks.

Bronze Member

Ventura, CA US

Post Number: 24
Got my TV back yesterday, it's looking better than ever. After some more phone calls to Hitachi, I got the right guy. He sent the TV Repair shop the part that day, and paid for the labor. It cost me $55 out of my pocket just for the pickup and delivery of the TV.

...on to HD!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us