My home theater project...

Username: No_legal_moves

Post Number: 1
I am starting my home theater. Couldn't help but spread the joy...

Framing/ wiring stage

Upload
Upload

Sound proofing/ soundboards on

Upload
Upload
Upload

My equipment so far:
Speakers:
Front speakers : B&W Nautilus 802
Center speaker : B&W Nautilus HTM2
Side speakers : B&W CDM SNT
Rear speakers : B&W Nautilus 805
Subwoofer : Definitive PF15TL+

Projector : Vidikron Vision model 30ET

Amplification:
Rotel RTC-965 preamp
Rotel RTB-985 MK2 5 channel amp

DVD player
NAD T550

Speaker Wires
Transparent MusicWave Plus Biwire

Remote
MX3000-with MRF 300 RFX base station

Plan/ need to buy...
I used to have a 5.1 system driven by my 2 rotels, but since I upgraded my front speakers to the 802s I put the 805 in the back and now have 7 speakers. I am planing to upgrade the preamp and add a stereo amp to drive all 7 speakers...

Amplification
Anthem AVM 30 (pre/pro)
Anthem Statement P2 (2 ch (325Wpc)amplifier for the 802s)

Screen
Austin screen TP106 (106" diagonal)

DVD
I plan to upgrade my NAD to the Denon DVD-3910

Power conditioner
Furman Elite 15dm

Any advice on the plan to buy stuff???

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1379
Jeff Sauzeat

The design and fabrication of your home cinema looks very good, just one thing just how high are you placing the surrounds, because looking at the image I would say there going to be way to high.

If that's the case try aiming them downwards towards the listening position, this will focus the sound.

Also I'd have to say the seating is way to close to the back, I'd move it slightly forwards, and with the side surrounds placed at the seating position and the centre back surround, well to the back, this will help create a 3-dimmisnaion imaging, with depth in the sound field.

Furthermore, I place at least two or three surrounds to each sidewall, as there bass response will weaken slightly, this will help double the SPL db, with a 6db gain, frequency response and range will increase.

Balancing the surrounds and the fronts will be trick, you may have to employ several EQ for the three-screen channels, the surround array and the Baby Boom.

I say this your very close to getting it spot there, just add a few more items, and films like Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan will rock that home cinema big time.

Good luck

Ashley C' THX 3417

Gold Member

Post Number: 1380
Jeff Sauzeat

Maybe you would like to install height surround, which comes off the matrix back surround, that's not the centre back surround, which drivers the front centre channel in a Dolby Pro-logic configuration, no it's the surround back, oh never mind your figure it out.

In my home cinema installation the surround channel is a 4-channel set-up with sides, centre back and height surround, or "Sonic Whole Overheard Sound" as it's called in the film industry.

Ashley C' THX 3417

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the comments/ advice.
I am planning to have 2 rows of seats. There is about 5 feet deep on the elevated part to put the rear row and the rear speakers. In fact the rear speakers will stay on their stand to have the tweeters at approx ear level. I am a little concerned about your remark about not having enough space for the rear seating and I will have to investigate it further...
Again thank you for your comments.

Bronze Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 97
Wow your one of the few that really is goin all out on a home theater.What your total price its costin you

Its lookin good though

wish i had one like that

Post Number: 3
my budget is about 14k for the room. I will have to add about 5k for accoustic treatment and calibration. The equipment is about 25k so far. If I upgrade as planned I ll have to add another 8k

Bronze Member
Username: Acutemi

Post Number: 20
You are doing a 7.1, you will be able to balance your system nicely. Speaker height is of course at the listeners ear level and if you stay away from "stands" you will simply adjust for wall mounting ;-)
You may want to look into a tactile system as it will allow you to feel the film and not worry about "blasting" your audio.

Look forward to seeing the progression of your HT as it looks like your well on your way to an outstanding HT!

Lotsa luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1382
Jeff Sauzeat

14 to 25k, WOW, that's a lot of money for a home cinema, what in the hell are your installing 35mm projection?

Yeah I know those B&W Nautilus 802 cost a whole lot of dosh, but if it where me, the cost of a video projector, amplification, and PA cinema loudspeakers, yeah the real McCoy, take the famous JBL 4675-A THX approved, these are used for the screen channels, and JBL 8330 surrounds THX approved, for low end sub bass from the "Baby Boom" JBL 4645-C THX approved, and get this all EX-cinema PA, and the cost would be far less.

Upload

Anyway I hope it all works out for you, but don't feel bad that you have spent a TON of money on the B&W, I would have gone with true cinema PA application.

Good luck

Ashley C' THX 3417

Post Number: 4
I don't feel bad a bit. I am sure those JBLs can handle movies correctly. But I love my B&Ws. I selected them with care and multiple auditions. I haven't found better speakers at this price point. While they may be able to deliver more than required for movies, my room is also a listening room for CDs, SACDs DVDAs and that's were the B&Ws will shine and be infinitely more refined that the JBLs.

This week was drywall week:

Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 95
Looks like you are well on your way to getting this project completed.

It is real gratifying to do the work yourself and I am sure you will enjoy your new system for years to come.

Can not wait to see more pictures.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. I love B&W's and if my light control budget was not shot to hell during the project, I too would have chosen the B&W's. Nice!

"His and Her Room!"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us