My "TEXAS" den

Username: Mark293

Post Number: 3
I've got our new home under construction and the cabinet guy came up with this for our 21' x 28' family room. No dedicated HT room but Im happy with it so far. The tv area is built to house a JVC 52" HD-ILA. The reciever is an Harmon Kardon avr235 driving a pair of inwall B.I.C. M80's. The rear channels of the 7.1 system will be B.I.C. M60's. The sub is an Infinity PS-12 with internal 300 watt amp. A company called called Freedom Communications (www.myphonejacks.com) did the speaker, sat, voice and data wiring. The ET center is 8 feet tall with the tv 21" off the ground. The ceilings are 13 feet tall. I hope the av receiver wattage is large enough. Ive heard good things about HK so I took the plunge. I had a Bose AM5 system back in the early 90's and I was happy with it, so Im sure this will put a smile on my face. Thanks for any input. Oh yea, Im not sure if I want to hide the av equip behind the cabinet doors and use one of those small IR receivers. The HK is a pretty reciever so I may just leave it out in the open, I heard they create alot of heat. Thanks for any input.

Post Number: 4
These should be the picture for MY TEXAS DEN. sorry 'bout that. Im a novice uploader.

Post Number: 5
My last try

Upload
Upload

Post Number: 6
OK guys Im more stupid than I thought. I forgot to tell the carpenter I need room for a center channel speaker (MY BUTT IS SORE. IVE BEEN KICKIN IT ALL DAY). What would I have in the way of options?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 91
Tell him to cut a hole below the TV. That should be a real easy fix. I'm just surprised with all that room and you decided to go with just a 52" TV. I'm not even happy with my 60".

I thought you Texans like everything BIG :-).

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6459

Use hank's suggestion above or below the TV and use a small wedge to tilt the center speaker up or down to aim its tweeter(s) at your listening position. You could also replace the wood on the doors above or below the TV with a grill cloth material and still hide the center speaker behind the doors.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6460

Additionally, most people feel they need a center speaker because they've been told they need a center speaker. That's not always the case and will depend on your front two speakers and where they are positioned along with the seating positions of the people in the room. If the front speakers are positioned well and do a good job of fixing the sounds with the images on screen for everyone listening, you do not need a center speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 242
Mark, a minor miscalculation.
Jan's suggestion will be a great fix, at the cost of the wood finish, but it's all a trade-off.
Nice work, show us more when you are further along.

Post Number: 8
Hello Hank, Jan, and Nuck.
Thank you for the replies. First off, I really wanted a larger screen but after going to several "video" stores, the analog PQ scared me on 60-62" sets. Even though the room would allow a larger viewing arrangement, I like to sit fairly close and be at an intimate distance with my guests.

I looked around and found a thin Infinity center channel speaker that is only 4.5" in hieght. It was almost 400 bucks. YIKES!
That might fit in the space between the tv and the two lower drawers. It even had some kinda mounting plate. I just hate that it would look like an after thought.

I like the idea of 86'in the lower drawers and using mesh to hide the center channel.

You guys have been great. THANKS. If you can think of any other options please let me know. All I can say to anyone thinking of doing this is PLAN, PLAN, AND PLAN AHEAD AGAIN.

Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 9
It would not take much to shorten the cabinet doors and make a shelf above the display opening.
I think you would be happier with the sound if it is closer to ear level.

I have used phantom center channel features on receivers but having a center channel really is a step in the right direction. A great deal of information is sent to the center channel and so investing in a good speaker is mandatory for a quality sound to match the video experience.

Anonn
Unregistered guest
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/flatscreens/surroundbar/

You are welcome

Post Number: 9
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Thats what I was looking for. Costly, but good.
thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us