Need help -- Laptop to HDTV

Username: Megoops

Post Number: 1
Hi, we have a HDTV in a meeting room and want to make it available to users so they can run PowerPoint from their laptop.

The challenge we have is that we must do it using the 3 component cables already in place. What we have to work with is:
a. Source signal is VGA/RGBHV.
b. HDTV interfaces are either VGA/RGBHV, Component (YPrBr) or HDMI
c. Cable link between the two is component (3 cables)

Test 1: VGA to Component (YPrBr). Using a converter the VGA signal is transcoded to an YPrBr signal so we can use the component interface on the TV side. I tried the Key Digital KD-VA5 but found it was not working at all. The component interface on the TV is very limitative and it looks like very few graphic cards would be able to sync with it without scaling.

Test 2: VGA to Component (YPrBr). Similar to the first one but now the source signal is scaled to match a "preset" resolution. Your laptop resolution doesn't need to match the TV resolution. A 800x600 coming from the PC can be scaled to match the 480 res on the TV. I tried the Calrad video scaler/converter but the quality was disappointing and isn't user friendly. Actually you have to enter into a menu to "set" the source and destination signal. Might be good in a static environment but not when laptop will change every day.

So my best bet is probably to go with the VGA to VGA option but I am not sure on how to do it. Knowing that the VGA/RGBHV is a 5 cables signal how should I go from 5 to 3 and then back to 5?

Also, am I missing something with the vga to component that would provide a better result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
SD

Username: Manuel0630

Post Number: 1
i suggest that research with www.pcworld.com or www.ehow.com or manufacturer technical department for the TV and the computer manufacturer website.
Each manufacturer has an extensive resource library and how to for their product and services.
Microsoft has extensive help website and 800 number with expert technicians in electronics. Suggest you start your search with these websites. I am sure that any answers that could possible be needed have been answered and solutions have been found.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us