Questions on Power Conditioner, UPS

Username: Jwhyrock

Spokane, Wa Usa

Post Number: 1
I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm new to the forums. I'm buying a nice Samsung DLP and I am new to the HD scene. Since I'm going higher end with my equipment I thought it time to finally upgrade a few things. I have been looking at surge protection which lead me to power filters and 2 I found.

One that seems to be pointed out by a few people on our everything Samsung HL61A750 thread at a different site is the -

APC AV H15 1.5kVA H

I found this other one also highly rated -

APC AV C10 Home Theater Power Filter

which lead me to believe it might be even better in some ways?

I guess discussing price is inappropriate on the forums? The retail price on the APC AV H15 1.5kVA H is higher than on the APC AV C10 Home Theater Power Filter. I have, however, found that I can get the C10 a bit less than the H15 ($25 diff), and both I can find MUCH cheaper than listed. Not hard to find so I hope I'm not being rude by pointing that out.

I know next to nothing on these so I am not really great at deciphering differences in features and specs. I am wondering if the H15 is better than the C10 overall. Forget price for a moment and just compare the 2. I would like to know which one people like better and why.

My setup will very simply be my tv, receiver, ps3, cable box, wireless mouse, and maybe one or 2 other things, but I'm not sure on those.

Any recommendations would be great. I do not want to go over $100 & I found the $75 range ok (so far not counting your advice).

My final thing I'll throw in is on UPS vs straight power filter. I have a computer friend who isn't an expert on Home Theater, but very tech savvy thinking that a UPS by default does the same thing plus more than a power filter given the power backup a UPS provides. If that is true and a good UPS does the same as a power filter, but with extra features then if I could find a great UPS as good as the 2 filters I mentioned then I would go that route.

Thanks again for the help. If you're interested in the tv discussion PM me and I'll direct you. It's comprehensive and impressive. Off topic so I'll leave that alone.

Username: Jwhyrock

Spokane, Wa Usa

Post Number: 2
Also in addition is there anyone very knowledgable about the actual technical/hardware differences between a filter and a UPS? Mainly I still am not clear on if a UPS provides the exact same thing as a filter or if a filter functions differently which could be better in some cases. If a UPS does the exact same thing as a filter then if you could find a good UPS in the same price range it would be a no brainer decision. I hope this makes sense. I understand that a good filter is already over the top good enough for home theater application, but if a UPS beats a filter I want to get a UPS.

Please let me know. I have yet to have anyone break it down yet. Most people just say "get this" or "this works fine".

Username: Mike19

Tallahassee, Fla USA

Post Number: 6
Hi Jeremy.

In my experience, the only application of a UPS in a/v systems that I have seen is with a battery powered DAC.

I have read on other forums that there are people who advocate the use of a UPS as superior to a line conditoner/surge protector.

I do not know what the technical diff is between the two.

I do know that you will be fine with either of the APC units you are looking at.

Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us