Noisy Power Conditioner Behind My Plasma

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 66
Hi,

I have a Furman ACP-15 Power Conditioner mounted behind my wall-mounted Plasma. I have noticed that the Power Conditioner is somewhat noisy while the TV is turned on. The sound resembles a 'fizzing' sound. I spoke to my installer who said that this sound is normal, yet it can be heard if the TV volume is set mid to low. Does anyone know if this is normal or how I can remedy it? Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 518
Frank: Probably not. If you place your ear near the conditioner(<1') with the tv on mute and can hear some operating noise but just barely then this would be acceptable,although every line conditioner I have ever encountered has been dead quiet. If it is noticable with the tv at normal listening levels then there is for sure a problem with the conditioner.

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 67
Eric, Thanks for your reply.

I actually called Furman and talked to my installer and the opinion is unanimous that the conditioner should not be making any noise. My installer posed an interesting comment though.. He believes that the Plasma is the piece of equipment that is making the buzzing-not the Furman. Can this be possible? It is an LG Plasma model 42PX4D. How can I test this without removing the TV from the mount? Just hitting the mute button for volume woud not be enough since the sound could be coming from the TV itself and I have no way of knowing recognizing wether the issue is the TV or the Furman. Help! Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 519
You're welcome.TVs sometimes have noisy power(quite common in analog sets) supplies,my 30' Toshiba black tube case in point. This tv has served me well for over 12 yrs. now but it's power supply is noisy and this noise infiltrates into my audio system when the tv is on and manifests itself as a "buzzing" in the center channel speaker.. This will be cured later this year with the purchase of an HDTV. Disconnect everything including the Furman and plug the tv straight into the outlet and listen for noise this way. It probably is the tv as I have never seen a noisy conditioner.

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 68
Thanks Eric. Big problem here is that the Plasma is mounted on the wall and it wouldhave to be taken down and disconnected. I really really don't want to do that and am considering "leaving well enough alone". I was hoping you had some idea as to how I could test this WITHOUT removing the Plasma.

Silver Member

Post Number: 520
Frank that's unfortunate,so you cannot disconnect everything except the tv power cord? If you can explain further your setup perhaps we can arrive at a solution. I wouldn't really worry about this "buzzing" unless it is coming through any or all of your speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us