Speaker proximity to walls

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 53
HI,
I recently purchased a pair of Dali Ikon 6's and feel they are a little light in the bass in my room. I'm also limited in where I can place them as the room is small. My question is when you place them close to corners in order to emphasize bass, does it degrade the sound in any other way? Eg: high or midrange frequencies? Is the exagerated bass still ballanced? Also, how close can you place to side walls, and what is the effect of placing too close? Presently they are about 18" from rear wall and 14" from side walls and 7' apart. facing forward - no toe-in. Thank you for any feedback.
Bill

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5296
A little experimentation is in order on your part. Only you can determine which placement will sound right for your particualr situation. You ears are the best calibration tool in your listneing room.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7450

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=loudspeaker%20placement

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 63
Thank you Jan,
After experimenting I did find that placing the speakers facing diagonally across the room changed everything. Suddenly there was bass and lower midrange. All of the edginess disappeared. Still not perfect, but considerably better than before. thanks again,
Bill

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 87
I need to do some reading on those sites. I can't seem to get a focused image midpoint (localization of vocals, for example) between the speakers, no matter how much trial and error I do =(

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7664

Are you certain your speakers are connected in phase? I suggest placing your speakers about three feet apart and tuning to a FM talk station. A single announcer's voice should be clearly centered with this short distance between the two speakers. If not, reverse one connection at one location only and listen again. It is not impossible to believe a speaker or amplifier could be miswired from the factory. If you obtain a center image, move the speakers apart from one another until the image begins to dissolve. If that is less than six feet between speakers, you have a serious problem you need to address in your room.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 88
Thanks for the ideas Jan. I've come to the conclusion that I am just expecting too much from the less than stellar electronics I'm currently using. While the image isn't bad now that it's been tweaked a little, it's just not the razor sharp pinpointing I am looking for. I'm going to work on room acoustics for now, and then focus back on the setup after the next upgrade.

PS - Whatever happened to Tawaun A.Williams? I know he owned the same speakers, I'd be curious to hear his thoughts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us