Where do you buy vinyl ?

Username: Doug_b

Post Number: 9
As the title states, I'd like to know where you guys buy your vinyl from, whether it be online, or around your neighbourhood. I'm interested in buying a new turntable, but the only thing, is that trying to find stuff I like on vinyl, isn't so easy really.

I was in Virgin records yesterday and they have some stuff, but not really a big enough selection to consider it useful. They can order anything pretty much, but it takes up to 8 weeks to receive yada yada...So...where do you guys buy vinyl ?

Doug

P.S. I live in NYC, should anyone know of a great store. I have yet to go to St. Marks to try that hood.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3669
ebay

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 13
Doug:

I don't know the NYC used vinyl market, but I suspect it's strong. Check small local area newspapers for shop advertisements and ask high end audio retailers for vinyl sources.

Also, try this link:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/vinyl-record.cfm

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1072
For vinyl, EBay should be called EPray. I've heard far too many people not getting what was described to them. I'm always looking for vinyl in my neck of the woods (Westchester), but everyone tells me to go into NYC. As stupid as this sounds, it was easier for me to find vinyl in Albany than it is down here.

Online, check out Acoustic Sounds as Ross mentioned as well as -

http://www.amusicdirect.com
http://www.lpnow.com/
http://www.lastvestige.com/vinyl.htm

I've bought the majority of my used vinyl from Last Vestage (in person, not shipped). It's a great family owned shop based in Albany. Their record condition ratings are very consistant and accurate. Prices are very good too. Also, if something you're looking for isn't listed, give them a call. The owner can track down just about anything.

As far as NYC shops, a gentleman posted this a few months back in the Phono section of Home Audio -

I'm reporting back with a few more places to buy vinyl in NYC.

First, keep in mind that MANY used music stores in NYC (and there are numerous used music stores in NYC) also carry a selection of used vinyl ... it may not be a full on stonker collection, but many will have a few hundred++ LPs.

There's a store called Academy LPS, they have 3 locations in NYC. The store on 77 E. 10 St., NY, NY 10003 [212-780-9166] is pretty much EXCLUSIVELY used vinyl, every genre except classical. They have 2 other stores (18th St, 6th St), though I'm not certain of the media carried in those stores.

Another store Bleeker St. Records (different from Bleeker Bobs) 239 Bleeker St., NY, NY 10014 [212-255-7899] also sells vinyl (including 45s).

The Virgin MegaStore on Union Square has a section of new Vinyl.

St. Marks Street in the East Village has a bunch of used music stores some of which carry Vinyl.

I'll add to the list as I come across additional resources.

Happy Hunting!

Hope it all helps. Viva la vinyl

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 1995
And Doug, let us know what you find from Stuie's good selection of vendors.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2957
I'm a blessed Northwesterner. Good record stores everywhere. Portland has a bunch of them. Even Salem and Eugene have a couple. Awesome resource list Stu.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1075
The NYC vinyl sources was a cut and paste from a post by LoveGasoline. My credit to him can get easily overlooked.

I just ordered a couple of new LP's from Music Direct. The gentleman I spoke to (Roger) was very good to deal with and had some great insight on analog gear.

I'll let everyone know how it ends up when the LP's arrive.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1113
I got the new LP's on Friday afternoon. They arrived exactly as stated and shipped out exactly when stated. I hate my UPS delivery guy though. He likes to leave things at the door rather than ringing the doorbell. Worst part is that it was raining. The outside of the box got damaged, but nothing got inside.

After an irrate call to UPS, I spun my new vinyl. I forgot how good brand new vinyl sounds. All of the great attributes of older vinyl without the surface noise. I got Black Sabbath's Paranoid and self titled albums on 180 gram re-release. They actually sounded better than the originals. I also picked up Tool's Lateralus and Undertow. I was kind of dissapointed with the Undertow pressing. Sound quality is great, but it doesn't seem like the utmost attention was taken in the pressing process. As long as it sounds great, who cares though, right?

Next paycheck's purchases are going to be LA Woman by the Doors, Black Sabbath's Sabbotage and Vol. 4, and maybe the Led Zepplin IV re-release. I'm sure some more titles will catch my eye between now and next week though.

Anyway... I highly recommend going through Music Direct for new Vinyl. They've got very good prices and the salesman I spoke to knew his stuff. Everything was done the way it was supposed to be done. UPS still sucks, as do the rest of them for doing the same thing to me. But after the conversation I had with them, I doubt they'll leave anything without me signing for it again.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1114
Just to add, I was home when it got delivered. Car was in the driveway. And the joker still didn't ring the doorbell. I guess it's just too much of a hassle to ring a doorbell and wait 30 seconds to have someone answer and sign.

And yes, if the stuff gets stolen and the driver didn't get a signature, UPS is responsible.

Bronze Member

MA USA

Post Number: 18
I'll bet Hand of Doom sounds great. I love the range of dynamics on that tune. For my money, it's the best cut on Paranoid. Bill Ward's whispering touches and explosive pounding make me smile.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1117
My favorite cut depends on my mood. I can honestly say that each track has been my favorite at one time or another.

Last night I couldn't decide between Planet Caravan or Electric Funeral. More often than not it's either Fairies Wear Boots or War Pigs.

Have you heard the re-issues on vinyl? It's incredible. I have the Symptom of the Universe remastered CD set, and it doesn't compare. Music was made for vinyl.

Bronze Member

MA USA

Post Number: 19
I've been out of the vinyl game for over ten years, primarily because of my lack of skill and confidence with turntable setup and cartridge mounting. Also, the nuisance factor.

It's clear you're an analog man.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1124
The lack of skill (which I also suffer from) can be remedied by a good dealer. Every good shop has at least one vinyl guy that everyone points to when you mention vinyl out loud. The dealer should/will set up the deck and teach you what you need to know, and when you need a new cart, he/she should set it up for you if you're unsure. Mine doesn't charge me a penny for any of this. He says "it's built into the price."

I just got into vinyl about a year ago when my father was forced to get rid of his vinyl that was sitting in the basement for years. Cleaning them up was a bit of work, but more than worth it.

I thought it would be more work than anything else, but it really isn't. Quickly clean each side before playing, and clean the stylus after your done for the night. If you do it every time, the process literally takes a few seconds. It's only time consuming when you pull out moldy LP's that have been sitting in a basement for 20 or so years.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7424
I used to search for vinyl at a place called "The Beat" in Sacramento in California. Used to be my favorite record store.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2157
Stuie, the Analog kid(rush).

The boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his eyeeees.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1216
I got a few more albums from Music Direct on Thursday. They have an out of Print re-issue of LA woman which I snatched up. The Doors have never sounded so good.

Since it was rainy all weekend, I decided to play Riders on the Storm and Black Sabbath (song) a few extra times. When Riders on the Storm started, my wife who was in another room asked me if it started raining again.

The rainy day, Riders on the Storm in all of it's analog glory, and some Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter made for a great Sunday afternoon while my wife was studying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us