The Departed....:-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7213
has anybody seen this movie?
i have yet to see it and i was wondering what people's reviews were.

it has an awesome cast imo, although i am not too sure about Leo with a Boston twang. lol

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7028
my boy just saw it and he is a huge movie guy and he said it was the best movie ever. For him that is a huge huge statement. I am going to see it this weekend:-)

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7272
oh ok good...i want to see it withing the next week or 2...

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3887
its supposed to be really good. its getting crazy reviews, and rottentomatoes.com has like a 95% for the movie, which is the highest i have seen. its supposed be complicated and everything

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7056
yeah I have heard nothing but good things.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2733
ya i just saw it on tuesday omg awesome movie cat say a bad thing about it. ya leo's accent is a little 2 strong and im from boston so but ya still not bad though he just forces it way to much. but he plays a overall awesome role. go see it, its worth it

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7096
yeah but is he a redsox fan in the movie? lol

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2740
lol i forget what hat is he wearing for some reason i feel like he was wearing a detoit hat but i could be 100% wrong lol. But no mention about the sox in the whole movie the only thing close to it though is when they threw a guy in the fenway marshes so fenway park thats the closest lol

Username: Aboowarda

Post Number: 1
i saw that movie last night and i think it is a good to see jack neklson againg in evil's character after 10 years or maybe more in comedy
and the old wolv " directore " martin scorcesi"
always make us surprised

Username: Icemanchambers

Post Number: 4
i heard good things about the departed im going to go see it soon

Bronze Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

Post Number: 67
This HAS 2 be one of the finest pics of the year - vintage Scorcese, and everyone stepped up.

I'm not a big Leonardo fan, but admit he did a good job.

I was amazed at how good Balwin was..in his few scenes. Aside from Nicholson, Whalberg was probs everybody's favourite, or at least the surprise fave.

Yeah, top ratings for this one all around: Well written, well casted, superbly directed.

The violence was at times 2 graphic for my liking, but that is 2 be expected from a Scorcese flick.

I would rate this very very very high - don't wait for DVD on this one. 8/10

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3891
all that hype and only a 8/10? :-(

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7569
seriously. lol

i am going to see this Thu.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2776
okay i lied red sox hat lol 100% sure this time

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Bassman, 8/10 = Very high standards :-)

Just pretend 8 is really a "thumbs up"

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7624
what would you give a 10/10 to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
LOL...if it's better than The Departed, it could be 9 or 10 out of 10 ;)

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7647
name some movies FOO!!!!! :-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7133
yeah I want to know what a 10 would be also? a 10 in my book is Godfather, scarface, jaws,beeches,........... ok not beeches but you get my point lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Gee, I could sit here and list all kinds of amazing movies that could be convincingly debated are worthy of a 10 as opposed to an 8. But it's like asking why a movie only got 4/5 stars, or why it only got 4.5 stars, for that matter.

But the difference between an 8 and a 10 is really null. An 8 is an amazing movie, and a 10 is an amazing movie.

Just put it this way: between 8 & 10 they're all A++

If u are to rate a movie a 10, then u risk implying that nothing will ever be better. If 'The Godfather' is a 10, than that means that no other movie is "better than" it. Another "10" movie will then mean it is only as good as 'The Godfather', but no better.

'The Departed' was a pretty amazing movie...in my opinion. And, going by the standards i look for, the movie may not have compared to others of previous years (always considering the advancements & improvements in film technology/talent, of course).

A high standard I look for is the writing - are there underlying messages and themes in the story aside from that which is presented on the surface, for example.

Will a movie stand the test of time? 'Mr. Smith Goes To Washington' is as relevant today as it was in 1939.

It's the same standard applied to all art forms. Good literature is different from great literature for the very same reasons. Why is George Orwell's '1984' a great piece of work (the writing is nothing special)? It's the message in the story that can only be seen if you're paying attention.

It's for these same reasons that great art will come from totalitarian/repressive societies.....a good artist tells you the story in a "wink, wink" style that will not offend the powerful elite.

This is what made the "blues" what it is today. Same with "rock" or "punk". You see it in modern music as well if you pay attention to the lyrics.

Back to the movies though -- 'The Titanic' was an amazing movie because of the various ways the movie could be viewed. Forget the acting, and the casting in this movie. What is 'The Titanic' about to you? Different people will have different answers: It's a romance, it's a story of a 'true' occurence in our history, and it's also a sociology lesson for the class.

In this movie we see the struggles of the poorer classes below the wealthy classes. The poor are gated in while the ship is sinking. Above, the wealthy classes use their influences to buy their salvation etc...

Cinematography sets the mood for the movie. How well did the directors and cinematographers do their job? 'The Passion of the Christ" had excellent cinematography.

Or we can look at lighting....the uses of shadows on characters can at times say so much more than any spoken words.

Anyway, sorry about the ramble.... I love this forum as a means of geting some opinions about what people are thinking about films/story-telling and art in general.

But I guess this is why thumbs up or thumbs down is ideal to avoid such confusion...lol

In no particular order, (and i'm leaving out many, many more) some of the greatest movies ever made would include such examles as:

The Godfather (1972)
Casablanca (1942)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Taxi Driver (1976)
Rear Window (1954)
The Pianist (2002)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
On the Waterfront (1954)
Raging Bull (1980)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

Of course if ur idea of a "great" movie has to include exploding cars, or Ron Jeremy's buttocks, than who am i 2 argue differently ;)

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7715
dang...thanks for the lecture.:-)

seriously, good stuff man!

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
And i thought u were gonna hate the "lecture" - lol

I was promissed long ago that i would never ever view a movie, or listen 2 a song, or view art the same way again.

I remember laughing at that crazy idea....but one day i found myself in a theatre watching a totally different movie from everyone else.

It can be great fun trying 2 read the deeper messages of a film - or any art.

take care.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us