Wiring question for powered sub, separate amp with stock head unit.

Username: Dawilsonhouse2gmailcom

Van Buren, Arkansas United States

Post Number: 1
This will begin with two channels of speaker wires coming from my factory stereo, going to my rear speakers.
I have:
2) new rear speakers
A four channel amp that I'll be bridging for two channels to drive the new rear speakers. Amp takes high or low inputs.
A powered subwoofer that takes high or low level inputs
A high level to low level converter with a set of RCA outputs.
I'm trying to determine the best(correct) way to wire all this up.
Here' what I was planning. Initial wires from head to the high to low converter. Use RCA multiplier adapters to split the two RCA outputs into four RCA outputs. Two of these outputs will go to the RCA inputs on the sub. The other two will go to the (front or rear) RCA inputs on the amp for the rear speakers. Since I'm bridging the four channel amp, I don't need to plug into the rear AND front inputs do I?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1807
I see this is about a month old, I guess nobody answers questions in here any more, but I'll offer my thoughts anyway.

Ideally, you'd want a 4 ch LOC so you could run your speakers with the front outputs from your HU and subs with rear, but if the LOC's a 2 ch then what you have in mind should work.

Whether or not you need 2 or 4 rca inputs at the amp depends on the amp. Some amps have an auto sensing circuit that will allow 2 ch inputs, and others have a 2/4 ch switch. There are plenty that do require all 4 channels to have inputs connected if you want all 4 channels to have output (which you when you're bridging). If you need all 4 just use a pair of y-cables.

Bronze Member
Username: John2353

Post Number: 14
Thanks........!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us