amp wants 175 amps, alternator 80amps

Username: Ramz

Stoke On Trent, STAFFORDSHIRE United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, hope everyones good, my first post on here (noob)

I cannot upgrade my alternator (80amps) I wanted to upgrade alternator and split charge 3 batteries (car battery plus a battery on each AMPLIFIER, I HAVE BATTERY ON EACH AMPLIFIER BUT NOT ABLE TO CHARGE) I was told that I need 300amp-ish alternator(175amps Mono amplifier,30amps 4 CHL amplifier,80amps car) even if I can get an upgraded alternator, my engine would be to weak to run the 300amp ALTERNATOR as it is only a 1. 0 liter, 3 cylinder engine.

MY question is, how my set up is NOW would it damage my car electrics in the long run, system sounds very good,

(highlights were dimming but in installed xenon bulbs with ballast, no more dining headlights)

Thank you in advance for any help
}

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1805
Already answered the other post, but there's more info here so...

1.0 3 cyl? Is that a Ford Ecoboost? Those engines are as weak as the displacement would lead one to believe.

I don't agree with the comment that you engine can't spin a high output alternator.
For one, under regular electrical load - a big alt would require no more power from the engine than the stock alt.
Second, at 14v an 80A stock alt can generate something in the 1100w range which would require around 1.5hp, probably a little more than that.
If you had a 300A alt that's an addl 220A or around 4hp -- it's not a ton.
Plus, that alt would only approach 4hp at full output -- your amps would rarely be at that state.
Your air conditioner requires more power than a big alt would.

W/o an alt upgrade I'd just get a 2nd battery and hope for the best. A cap won't help. If you keep the volume down most of the time your stock alt should last several months. If you blast it all the time you're probably looking at a matter of weeks before you burn up an alt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us