Get bass from frt?

Username: Hackmark

Post Number: 1
Hi-I changed speakers in back of my sons Saturn Sc-They dont have much bass-can I offset that with good bass speakers in frt, or will that just drown oout back? I know usually you want bass in back?? How do you think that would sound?? Thanks in advance....

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 492
not going to get much bass without sound deadening the area's where the speaker sits, or having the speakers in enclosures.
really to get some good bass you might need to do what i said above and put an amp on the speakers, or simply just use subwoofers, as regular speakers just don't have the size to properly produce bass frequencies

but with the sound of the install, i dont think it will sound all that well. may want to get a professional opinion from a higher quality stereo shop to see what they suggest, and go in a direction they lead you too.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14252
if you want punchier midbass, get decent front speakers (that's pretty much a must anyway for a decent sound system of any sort) and use a 4 channel amp to drive all of the speakers.
Then add a small sub in back. something self powered would work fine to balance it all out. Infinity basslink, or a bass tube, or similar if you don't want to spend a lot on a box, speaker, and separate amp, wiring, etc.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16297
x2

Post Number: 2
Thanks all for your input!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16302
your welcome and welcome to ecoustics

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14276
replacing speakers on a factory radio will make very little difference in the overall sound, regardless of the quality of speaker.
Ideally to improve the sound of your midrange and above frequencies, you'll want a 4 channel amplifier, around 50 watts per channel to drive the front and rear speakers. You will want to put good speakers up front, since the front stage is where 70% of your sound comes from, including most of your instruments, and all of the vocals.
If you want low end, bottom octave output, you will need to add a powered subwoofer, either by using a pre-made solution like an Infinity basslink or SAS amplified bazooka tube, or by using an enclosed subwoofer, with a separate mono subwoofer amplifier.

That will give you an upgraded sound system with a very noticable difference in both output, and sound quality across the entire audible spectrum.

Post Number: 3
Thanks GlassWolf! You sound like u are well versed in this! I was worried about it, but for Christmas I got him a nice set of speakers for the frt, so I'm glad. We'll work on the bass next! Merry christmas to all!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us