System design is key?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1618
ok so i have a friend who is a MAJOR audio enthusiast. hes had several systems in his car and is now sitting with a single 10 on 90 watts with a MASSIVE ported box thats pretty much all port.

I asked him what to do about my dissatisfaction with my twin 12" SX setup and i guess i might as well just show you what he said.

"Why not look at 1 sub with more port area? Makes the world of a difference with greater port area and increased efficiency. Look at a 15" with a medium Fs (28-38 hz), Qts below .45 or so and relatively low Vas. In ported boxes, x-max is one of the least important factors when determining output, so plan accordingly.

If you get that, you won't need much power in the right box to get what you want while retaining good sq. The aim is to get a high EPB (Fs/Qts) which would work great in a ported box. Amp should use subsonic filter a few hz above the tuning frequency."

so then i said isint more cone area better?

"Well, more cone area is always better but in my opinion, more port area drastically increases the amount of usable surface area from the driver, total front and back."

would i be better off redesigning my box for my pair of sx 12's to just have a massive (200 sqin) port or should i look into a single 15?

or should i do something completely different. before talking to him i was thinking about just cramming as much cone area as i can into an 8 cube sealed box.

im guessing since i got 3.2kw that the woofers aren't the reason why im not as loud as id like to be, but rather something wrong with my system design, even tho i have built 2 boxes for my subs. don't ask if they were good or bad because they were GREAT boxes extremely over built. but they were just normal ones with normal port areas and volumes relative to driver.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9178
The problem with the approach is that you wind up with a gi-huge-ic box. lol

Silver Member
Username: Dlavante

Eugene, OR USA

Post Number: 131
2 sx's on 3.2k should be slammin.. id say if you got the space to do it then go for it

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1621
i got about 9 cubes externally so idk if i can pull it off or not. i maybe could fit more if i built 2 separate boxes

would it be better to sacrifice port area and just get more cone area? is cramming as much cone area as i can (sealed box) in my trunk a stupid idea?

Silver Member

Eugene, OR USA

Post Number: 132
what are your current specs?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1622
the first box was 5 cubes net @ 32hz with 58.5" of port

the current box is 4.1 cubes net @ 34hz with 62" of port.

Silver Member

Eugene, OR USA

Post Number: 133
try 6 ft^ @34-36hz with 75"+ of port..
what kind of car

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1623
fyi on 2kw i was bottoming out the sx's in the 5 cube box ABOVE tuning. so i think 6 will be way to much especially with 3.2kw

its going into a 2000 Chrysler 300m, similar to a dodge intrepid but nicer and has a smaller trunk and trunk opening.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5999
its the box.

design it right and you won't have issue.. what are the port dimensions.. BTW DO NOt DO 6 CUBES .. you will bottom the subs out on that power for sure

and yes, what kind of car? what is the driver/port placement in the vehicle?

buddy of mine runs a single SX 12" in his truck downfiring and can do a 141.x @ 38hz only on 1000rms.. thats not even what they are capable of

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1624
kevin, i said its going into a 2000 Chrysler 300m (similar to dodge intrepid but has a smaller trunk)

i also already told you the port dimensions.

the 5 cube box has 58" of port area, length that tunes it to 32 hz, port and subs firing back towards the rear bumper.

the 4 cube box as 62" of port area, length that tuns it to 34 hz, port back subs up.

i dont want you guys to think that its not loud because it is, very loud, its the loudest system ive ever heard, but its just not loud enough.

Silver Member

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 135
my bad i thought you said 2 15" sx'x. what kind of numbers you're puttin up?

Silver Member

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 136
my bad i thought you said 2 15" sx's. what kind of numbers you're puttin up?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L DesignsDustin

Post Number: 4876
why you always double postin daniel says.

Silver Member

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 137
lol tried to fix a minor typo and hadnt realized it already posted

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1895
ummmmm Mark... Do yourself a favor and listen to Kevin... It would be to your benefit..

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1608
agreed - kevin may know a thing or two about RE subs

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1625
im not exactly sure he told me to do anything, except redesign the box.

how should i design it? ive already had 2 boxes substantially different and both are not loud enough so what now?

Daniel Says, i have never metered my car before but i would guess high 130's to low 140's, but i have never sat in a car that has been metered either so i have no frame of reference to put it with. There is not "real" car audio shops in Rochester, NY with meters or amp clamps, ive called all the places in the phone book and they all think im crazy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1914

quote:

ive called all the places in the phone book and they all think im crazy.

you just might be for living in upstate N.Y.!! lol j/p Mark

What amp you powering these SX's with? I looked but may have missed it.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3049
this doesn't really apply to your situation but i feel like saying this...

i went from 2 12" Fi SSD's to 2 12" SI BM's (on a Nine.1) and i've currently got a single 15 TC3000 (on an M1) and it's soooo much better. it's louder, its cleaner, it gets lower. granted, all three setups are on different ends of the spectrum, but sometimes ya just need a change of pace.

but if you've got 2 12" SX's and they're not loud enough, i don't know what to tell you. Other than going to 2 15s or 3 12s, but i know you said that probably wouldn't fit, haha that would be plenty of bump for me bud, good luck though, i hope you find a setup you're content with

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1626
mark B, i hate living here honestly, once i graduate from college im out, movin to the south.

Im powering them with an Atomic 3000.1d

And cal thanks for the insight, it definitely applies to my situation i think.

Ive figured out what i want to do i think i have 3 options, lemme know what u guys think.

1)go with one really bad azz 15 in a ported box with a massive port like my friend suggested.

2)add a third sx 12 since i have the power. i could squeeze another in there but i wont be able to have more than 100 inches of port area

3)just make a box with a substantially larger port area for my pair of 12's.

i know that redesigning a box for my pair of 12's will be cheapest but im gonna have to do that any of the routes i go so i would really like to figure what will be BEST not most economical i already have 3 boxes sitting in my basement that i cant sell for sh1t.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1941
i just can't seen to grasp 2-sx's on 3k doing high 30's.. 143-145 in a truck car should be about right.. i' know it's possible as I have help build a very similar system . was slightly less power. It hit 44's without breaking a sweat. What numbers are you looking to try to accomplish?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1863
whats up with the lowdownforum?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 3158
Just don't worry about it, Snow.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1630
Lowdown, My car is very hard to get loud, others have had trouble getting loud as well with my type of car. only reason i can think of is it a large luxury sedan but i dont understand why Dodge Intrepids can get loud, only difference between my car and an intrepid is my trunk is smaller and i have more luxury features which dont mean anything in terms of car acoustics as well as fenders and bumpers.

you probably installed it into a small sedan or coupe, i doubt the system you installed was in as big of a car as my car.

i dont really care about numbers at all i just want loud music daily. also i have no frame of reference to determine what kind of numbers i would like since ive never sat in a metered car before, but i know there not high enough in my setup cuz i want more.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11062
What box arrangements did you have your subs in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1943
Lowndown, with username of hittin1 is me, Mark Brockman. As for the "wanting more" thing that is a terrible affliction that has plagued many on this forum.... Me included. lol So basiclly you might be hittin 43's and just want more, right? As for you car being hard to get loud, that really depends on your defination of loud.. So making a new box will be the answer? doubt it.. Different setup or something new may be your answer. If you dont have a "loud" reference point than I can't tell you if your setup in under preforming. sorry

Gold Member

Post Number: 1944

quote:

whats up with the lowdownforum?

check it out and see, snowball

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1632
lol i didnt even look at the user name.

but yea i suppose i may be in the 143 range but i doubt it cuz its only a little louder than my kappa perfects were and at a great loss in sq.

Im pretty sure i just need more woofers. im gonna bite the bullet and buy another sx 12 and make it fit.

or im gonna get 4 different 12's or 6 10's that will run in a net 6 cubes ported, im gonna call that my maximum enclosure size since that will end up being 10+ cubes externally with 100+ inches of port area tuned to 34 hz and after driver displacement.

i suppose i could compactly run 2 15's but i doubt that will be louder than 3 12's properly enclosed.

so Mark B you never said what kind of car you installed that system in, what is it? also how was the sub box and ports arranged in the vehicle?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1946
was a lincoln towncar, newer model, both port and subs rear facing.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3864
"2)add a third sx 12 since i have the power."

ha, hardly

Gold Member

Post Number: 3865
my suggestion is go with two really bad azz 15s.

then depending on subwoofer choice you can determine port size. not all subs flourish with big ports.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6003
you said earlier 58" inches of port .. you did not mention that was the PORT AREA ... and thats not enough for a 5 cubic foot box

minimum i'd run in 5 cubes is 80 square inches

i would turn the subs/port and fire them directly into the cabin..

build the box big enough to almost seal it off from the back of the trunk.. have the seat folded down and subs/port firing through

sub on each side and port the middle .. design the box so that whatever the width of the port is.. is would be that same dimension from the back of the box.. this way you have a straight port.. not one that looks like this

_| |_

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6004
in the end the corners ended up being 30s instead of 45s since i fiberglassed all the seams.. thicker on the 45 joints to round off the back edge more

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1634
cisco, i got 3200 rms @ 1ohm how is that hardly enough for 3 12" sx's? plus it will be @ .66 ohms not 1 ohms so ill be able to squeeze a bit more juice out of it.

jack i think im gonna buy a third sx 12 run 6 cubes net 100 inches of port and call it a day. subs and port firing up. i dont wan to doa box likt that cuz ive done it before and i wond have room for ports if im running 3 12's in fact the subs would be touching just so they would fit. i only have 37x14.5 for the face of the box.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1635
kevin, not jack my bad.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3868
your sx's are dual 4 ohm?

and believe me, you're not seeing 3200 real world power out of that atomic

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1636
yes dual 4's

i thought that atomics were underrated.
what do you think im really seeing rms @ 1 ohm.

even if its only 3k @ 1 ohm thats still enough plus at the .67 ohms it would be more like 3200 anyways. as long as the amp will remain stable @ .67 ohms which ive heard they can do as long as you have good electrical.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3871
i'm saying after impedance and box rise you won't be seeing 3k daily. the best way i know how to put it is at 40 hz your amp does not produce the same power as 50hz. oscillating hertz results in oscillating power. when an amp is tested it is tested with a single tone, not music. real world power is a fraction of "rated" power.

how's your charging?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3872
i still think two 15's is your best bet. 7 cubes gives you tons of subwoofer options.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1638
200 amp alt. stock battery in the front and a hc2400 in the trunk. my voltage used to drop really bad but with the batt in the trunk i never drop below 13.6 volts.

I understand what your saying but thats the case for any amp. i used to power the pair with an American Bass xd2000 which was doing barely 2k rms and it was enough to bottoming them out on my 5 cube box above the tuning frequency.

i cant fit 7 cubes ported. and 15's would need more room than 7 cubes at least the sx's would.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1961
That atomic is putting out rated power and then some. with your electircal.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1640
thats what i was trying to tell TCK.

i guess ill wait and see how much money i get for xmas and then ill decide what im gonna do. i figure 3 12's ported is the best i can do with my limited space or i could do 5 10's but i dont want to buy 5 new woofers cuz i know i wont have that much money.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1373
3 12's on 3k+ is going to be LOUD. i say try what kevin said and then if its not loud enough do the 3rd 12. its cheaper to build a new box than it is for another SX

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6005
that setup i showed you was two RE SX 15"s on 3600rms.. would burp a 151.6dB @ 49hz on a TL out of the trunk

best bet to get trunk cars loudest is seal off the trunk away from the cabin having everything fire in.. the less volume you have the louder it is going to be.. if your filling up the trunk and cabin thats a lot of volume vs just the cabin

you could fire two 15s forward.. they would need to sit slightly back and you'd need to run two 6" aeros slightly outside of the box far enough to clear the subs excursion.. might have to cut the trunk opening a little bit to get the box in as i had to.. but you gotta make some kinda sacrifice

i ran my xxx firing up and port through the portion of my seat that folded down in my recent car.. i would not suggest firing a sub up in a trunk.. its not good unless you want to rebuild your rear deck under the window.. or port it

Gold Member

Post Number: 3876
i thought you had 8 cubes externally, like you posted originally. you're trunk changed sizes since december 17th. i understand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3877
9* cubes, im sorry. sure did shrink...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1641
tck, 9 cubes externally isint 7 cubes net ported and 7 still aint enough for 2 15's. i can properly enclose 3 12's or i can cram 2 15's its only slightly more cone area but i would imagine a proper setup will always out perform a crammed one.

kevin ive had the 5 cube box in my car before sealed off from the trunk with towels just for a temporary setup and i like the way it sounds facing back better. its not louder but it sounds better. it wasnt out of phase either because i tried that.

how do not bottom out your sx's on 3600 rms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3884
depending on 15's 7 cubes is more than enough. i've owned 15's that bottomed out with a 3.7 cube box with extreme power. i had to change the design to 3 cubes. with that much power you can get away with a smaller box. whatever, 3 12's should bang.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6011
those SXs you saw in my pictures was running in 5.6 cubes after displacement and had no issues.

i built the box as big as i could to fit my trunk.. i literally had no trunk left

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1642
well if i can run a peri fo 15" sx's in 7 cubes then its already done. im gonna throw 3200 rms at them daily tho. is that ok for them?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6018
not enough IMO...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1644
so its gonna cost me $200 more to have my 12's reconed into 15's than it would to get another 12. is it gonna be worth it?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1654
so i sold my sx's and im getting a SINGLE 15" loaded BTL. my friend is gonna design me a high efficiency box possibly with a kerfed port. should bang pretty good on 3200 watts. he swears it will be better than my pair of 12's, well see tho.

prob not gonna have this done until the summer cuz i gotta go back to school on thw 18th and i may ot have time to build the box before then.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3895
i can build a box today and tomorrow, have it shipped out the day after x-mas. it will cost you two sheets of mdf, wood glue, screws and shipping...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1657
sorry but i love building boxes

i dont have my car with me at school anyways so i wont be able to bump either way.

ill let you know when its all done. i post up pics of the build as well as a video with my super secret show off song that i guarantee none of you guys have ever heard. ill give you a hint tho, it makes all the ladies wet.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1662
so my friend came up with a plan but it wont fit in my trunk. he gave it 4 cubes net with 150 sqin of port area.

wouldnt i be better off doing 5 cubes with a slightly smaller port area?

FYI im using a new fully loaded 15" BTL D2.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3902
is it a 4th order design? if so your friend is a complete fvucking tool and you should disown him as a buddy...

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6045
sure do 5 cubes and enjoy the sound of it bottoming out ;)

btw, if you loved building boxes so much why didn't you listen to us and redesign the box for the 12"s? lol....

there is no reason you can't fit a box for a single 15" if you had one in there for 2 12"s..

something just don't sound right, sigh

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1666
Yes its a 4th order design.

kevin its bigger cuz the port area is HUGE almost 3x the area of my old boxes so the external dimensions are quite a bit larger than for my 2 12's

on fi's web page it recommends 3-5 cubes for the btl thats why i was wondering.

i didnt want to build a new box for my 2 12's cuz ive already tried 3 boxes (one was under spec and i knew it wouldnt be good) and havent been happy.

its not a big deal i got a NEW loaded btl for 387 shipped and paypal. plus i just sold my used sx's for 350 to a local dude. and he wants a custom box for $120 so im makin out ok. as long as this btl dosnt disappoint me.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6054
4th order is a trunk? i don't see this working out well

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1668
wow i cant beleive i said it was a 4h order.

just bass reflex or vented. NOT 4th order.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11094
I wish you luck on the new sub Mark.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1685
ok so i made my own plans for a box and im going to run them by my friend to see if he approves.

5 cubes net tuned to 34 hz with 120 inches of port area. is this a good design or should i change something.

box and port are going to be in upward slanted wall facing forward behind the rear seats which fold down. the box will be sealed off from the trunk so all the bass will stay in the cabin.

in case you guys forgot its for a fully loaded 15" btl on 3200 rms going into a 2000 chrysler 300m (dodge intrepid)

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 991
mark thats good... jack i have a question you said something about scoring 150s at 49 hrtz??? my question is is a trunk car supposed to be that high because i cant get my intrepid below 50 hrtz even with the port tuned to 37 hrtz.. sorry not tring to thread jack

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1688
ben you sure ill be ok with a single 15 in that big of a box on 3200 rms with that large a port?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6081
not sure why your peaking so high even when your tuning is that low.. is it the same note your peaking at each time? if so tune 8hz lower than that note and that will be your spl setup.. build a plug to tune it down to 32-34hz for daily..

i still do not see how it would peak over 10hz higher than the tuned frequency.. you sure your tuning is accurate?

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 992
im not sure if my tuning is correct its the first box i built its two seperate boxs not one.. how do you build a plug?? and mark that should sound good

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6083
ported boxes are better common chamber from my experience..

i suggest you ask for some help on a design if you don't know how to calculate tuning

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1689
"ok so i made my own plans for a box and im going to run them by my friend to see if he approves.

5 cubes net tuned to 34 hz with 120 inches of port area. is this a good design or should i change something.

box and port are going to be in upward slanted wall facing forward behind the rear seats which fold down. the box will be sealed off from the trunk so all the bass will stay in the cabin.

in case you guys forgot its for a fully loaded 15" btl on 3200 rms going into a 2000 chrysler 300m (dodge intrepid)"

can anyone besides ben confirm this to be good?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1691
"ok so i made my own plans for a box and im going to run them by my friend to see if he approves.

in case you guys forgot its for a fully loaded 15" btl on 3200 rms going into a 2000 chrysler 300m (dodge intrepid)"

can anyone besides ben confirm this to be good?

ttt

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1692
everyone thinks this ^^^ is a good idea?

ca.com seems to think this is a bad idea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us