Aluminum vs Copper Voice coil for Daily Pounding

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 24
AQ charges more for aluminum but calls the copper "heavy duty" heres the link

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

So which is better for daily pounding and maybe occasional burps here and there?? My guess would be aluminum because its lighter ??????

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8296
http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/8/26434.html

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 306
Copper coils are good for smaller sq subwoofers.

Alum coils work much better for anything that takes alot of power or is for spl.

For example our new sonance v.2 has a 50mm tall coil. the copper one weighed almost 300 grams.

the high temp alum weighed 128.5 grams.

the spl diffrence would have been a good amount @1w and there would have been a much higher chance for defect.

Both have there pros and cons depending on what you need them to do.

On some subwoofer you may want a higher mms to improve the sound depending on the rest of the subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 207
really? thats odd.. the m5 spl has a round wound copper coil (dd also uses copper coils, fyi). does just fine with it steve.
you are convieniently forgetting to mention coppers higher relative bl, and thermal advantages...steve, you put alot of emphasis there on the 1w spl rating. good for you. however, sensativity isnt everything (actually not a huge factor at all) in the woofer game.

Silver Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 208
but hey, maybe it changes cuz i know you brag your coils are wound by 2 guys in a garage. maybe they have the secrets.

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 556
i called teh AQ guy about this!
i was looking at the hdc3 and he said with around 1000wrms copper will be louder than the alumiun
if your going to be burping and giving it tons of power the alumium will be best for spl

it depends on the sub and how much power ur running, copper conducts better but alumium is lighter. just depends on ur set up and wat ur looking to do with it

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 307
round wire copper also costs about 1/3 of the price compared to a flat wind coil. Due to the process
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us