Everyone's not so fav topic: Capacitors.

Bronze Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 51
I know the debate on Caps vs HO alternators(I'm getting ready to order a 300 amp alt shortly), but I still insist on running a cap to smooth out voltage.

I drive a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville, and my battery is located in the backseat, stock at the time. It is an alumapro 5 farad cap.

My question is should I run the cap between the alternator and the battery(my initial thoughts), or after the battery to the amp, like what is common? Or do a seperate run from the alternator to the cap(Ie: two wires from alt, one to b+, one to cap, then both to amp?).

I was going to PM this to M.S. but figured I'd turn it into a topic.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5764
The companies that make capacitors tell you to install it in the amplifier's power wire as close to the amp as possible.

In reality it isn't going to matter what you do, since the capacitors don't provide any improvement. Save yourself this trouble and don't bother with it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 52
lmao thanks for your time

I can't tell that you get agitated with this topic

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6618
With enough capacitance capictors DO WORK. A small 5 farad probably won't help though(Or at all). Capacitors can act as filters and smooth out the power spikes by tiny bits depending how large of a capacitor. I happen to know a World Champ who uses a 50 Farad cap to help with consistency on the meter, go figure.

Bronze Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 46
i'm going to be putting in a larger HO alt in my car. i currently now have a 5 farad stinger cap. will i not need the cap and/or shouldnt even use it once i put in the new alt?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6041
You don't need it, it won't make a difference either way

Username: Mikeyruubs

Post Number: 1
so im putting a 3600W system in my car any suggestions??? amps and capacitor? i have an 98 acura cl so theres no room for more alternators or batteries.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6814
If you don't have room for batteries you won't have room for capacitors. There may not be room for more alternators but you can change your stock alternator to one that produces more amperage. Check your thread.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 128
HO alt. its the best way to go. don't use caps, do like M.S said: "Save yourself this trouble and don't bother with it."

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6113
You don't need more alternators, rather an HO alternator to replace your stock one. You're NEVER going to successfully run a 3600w system without it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us