Battery isolator choice.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 392
How do I choose an isolator, do I match it to the max amps of my alt? I will have my 300A Amputator on soon, hopefully.. :-O

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1652
why use a Isolator? I wouldnt use 1 unless I had about 3-4 batteries.... 0r are u just going to be parking lot pimpin...

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 398
Well, I am going to add a second battery in the trunk and I was told to use an isolator or should I just run the two together? Oh B, I always PIMIN, LOL.. Upload

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1669
damn she is scary, she need to go back under the bridge....

lol

but I dont think u should waste $$$ on a isolator for just 2 batteries... I would do 3 in my own car personally without isolator.

as long as u bump with car on, u dont even need a isolator.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 70
Sorry to steal your thread, but...

I plan on having 3 batteries, a starter one, and two deep cycles. I now have a 200 amp alternator. And most of my bass will be when the car is off., idling, or when parkin lot pimpin lol. Think I will need an isolator?

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 416
B, I know you probably know more than me on electrical (me old school, lol ) but if I want to run say three batteries of different brands/types would I need to isolate each one or will just the voltage apply? I was thinking of using a standard starting battery ad maybe one or two yellow tops in the trunk, or do all three need to be yellow tops? thanks..Polo.

PS- Ruthless, yes you will need an isolator or you won't have enough to start your car afterwards (drain start battery too).

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1714
"Sorry to steal your thread, but...

I plan on having 3 batteries, a starter one, and two deep cycles. I now have a 200 amp alternator. And most of my bass will be when the car is off., idling, or when parkin lot pimpin lol. Think I will need an isolator?"
RUTHLESS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the car is off, for long extended periods bumpin, like 2hrs or so, then u need a Isolator.
-----------------------------------------------------

Polo, even though they diffrent types, u still dont need a Isolator. If the car will be running.
starter batt PLUS 2 yellows will be just fine together!! U will love it!! and that would be a stable a$s voltage system!!!

now 2yellows and a 300a ho... what u getting ready to do??????????????????????

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 627
i would say always use an Isolator if you plan to have batterys in the trunk whether its 1 battery or more because at some point in time you will sit there with the stereo on while the car is off an after a while you will drain the batterys to the point that you cant start the car any longer so my view on it is its better to be safe then sorry ... lets say your sittin around at a party with the car off an ur bumpin ur sh*t an thinking your cool an sh*t then 30 minutes later you decide to start ur car to leave an the thing wont start because you just brought ur two batterys below 11.5 volts an ur engine requires atleast 11.8 volts to crank so now u look like a weak B**ch in a piece of sh*t that wont start an only two seconds ago you were trying to floss showing off your Bass

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1727
yea, if u were to do that at the party; u must have drunk the whole bottle of 151! Then u must have thought that your car was running while u were bumping... even though u looked @ the rpms and they were @ 0. With the lights on too..
j/k

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5380
For 2 or more batteries, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have isolator.
Let's say under the hood, you have 500CCA battery, and in the trunk you have 900CCA. What do you think will happen when one battery gets drained? It'll rob the power from the other battery. Since one is larger in size, it'll take that much longer to recharge.
Most starter batteries are not deepcycle, meaning if you drop the voltage below 11v, it will die.
So unless you always drive with a buddy, isolator is a must.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 632
B ..i wasnt saying he would be drunk i was just trying to point out how embarrassing it would be if he over estimated how long he could leave the system on with the car off before the batterys got too low to crank the car, because at some point in time he will go ahead an run the stereo with the car off ( We all Do )

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 435
I see your guys point though. I think if I ran a yellow top as a starter battery and also used another in the trunk for the system it may be safer because if i ran a regular starting battery and continuously dropped the voltage on her it would eventually die anyways unless an isolator was used. Well this is my issue, I am trying to figure out which isolator (if I decide to get one) should I get? Do I have to match the amperage of the alt (300A max) or can I double up two smaller ones? I will have two Kicker sx1250.1 and one Kicker sx900.4. I know the alt maybe overkill but so is B's wiring,lol (J/K) but you know, bigger is better, no upgrading later! Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1741
lol, man I say go for 2 yellows... 1 under the hood, and 1 in the back.. A matter of fact my buddy with the killer system, thats what hes has........... but he is selling me his batteries for some kinetiks. And he competes, so that will give u a idea. Also if someone says a yellow can't start cause of low cranking amps... tell them my buddy turns over his 5.7L Tahoe every day with a yellow top! He also has NO isolator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us