Problem with excelon x889-owners please advise

Anonymous

I'm having a problem with installing a Kenwood Excelon X889. During play of a cd it will exhibit an electronic "popping" while the volume knob is turned up, as well as a definite "pop" when the volume is decreased from "1" to "0". In addition, pushing the toggle button to pause causes an audible electronic "pop" through the speakers, as well as in the transition between tracks on the cd--when the counter displays changes from counting up to counting down for the track--there is audible electronic "distortion". The sound is very similar to what a dirty volume switch sounds like when you turn it up or down. The sound is easily noticeable and quite annoying.

This sound is present and consistent in the pre-outs to the external amps with the internal amp off, as well as in the internal amp with the external amps disconnected.

I've tried alternate grounds (including wire outside the vehicle directly to the negative post on the battery), and alternate power directly from the battery (including constant and switched), no change at all.

The gains on the amps are not cranked up, and besides the sound is still present in the units internal amplifier, so it doesn't seem related to a level imbalance.

Had no issues with the Alpine 9851 previously installed. Main difference between the two hu's is 2v pre-outs for the Alpine to 5v for the Kenwood.

Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? I'm beginning to believe there is a problem internally with the electronics-perhaps a short.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1734
The analog potentiometer might be bad...though that would be odd if the unit was brand new...

Username: X889

Post Number: 1
Brand new, unwrapped it to do the install. You're beyond me though, I don't know what an "analog potentiometer" is?

Post Number: 2
Ok, looked up what a potentiometer is, sounds like it could be a possibility. Definitely seems in the running as I'm suspecting it's something internal with the electronics.

I'm going to go and try another 889 in a shop and see if I can duplicate the symptoms, at least eliminate that it's not common to other units.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1735
Just the technical name for the mechanical portion of the volume control. My bad for not saying that sooner...

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 70
Jexx, I'm pretty sure the kenwood uses a digital encoder for the volume, not a potentiometer.

When I had my various kenwood units (the 828 being the last one - which is very similar to the 889), I do recall hearing a minute electronic click at low volumes. At louder settings it could not be heard.

Atypical: Is this only audible at low or very low volume settings, or even at moderate/loud settings as well?

I think this is common to most mp3 players. Actual silence and the silence at the beginning/end of a track are not at the same level. What I think you're hearing is the electronic interpretation of this difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. With the car in motion, there's plenty of other noises to overshadow this :-)

Post Number: 3
No, unfortunately it is quite noticeable at all levels, road noise isn't going to cover this (and besides at the cost of this unit, completely unacceptable for it to exhibit this kind of noise). As you turn the volume up, the clicking (popping) level gets louder. If you're listening to a cd at a decent level, it is a distinct "pop" between the tracks as the displays changes--you can hear the pop as the "-" appears for the countdown to the next track, and then another "pop" when the screen changes to begin the track. When turning the volume down from 1 to 0, very noticeable pop (not loud like "wow that's going to damage the speakers", and not a thump like an amp thump, just a distinct pop). The antenna going up and down causes a click/pop, as well as pausing and un-pausing the player. I'd expect this from a cheap unit, but not this Kenwood. Very irritating.

Edit: You don't notice the popping as you increase the volume if you're listening to a rock track as there is just too much going on, but when listening to a constant test sine wave tone, can't miss it (read as; sitting in a normal position in the car, not with your head pressed against the speaker to hear).

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1737
My bad for not doing more research on the model. I guess I phail :P

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 71
Your source for the cd, is it a mp3 disk or a real pressed cd.

Try this test with a real cd recorded to red book standards using DAO type recording.

I'm pretty sure you won't hear this noise between the tracks. If you use TAO, you *may* still hear. With DAO, the laser burns the entire disk in on continuous session, including silences.

Post Number: 4
Real, pressed cd--not an mp3. Different disks, same symptoms. Your theory is logical, except that the sounds are present when tracks aren't changing as well (volume control, pausing, reversing, fast forwarding, antenna up/down).

I initially thought it was a ground problem, it's that noticeable. It seems that you are able to "hear" what the unit is doing due to some kind of electronic feedback that is being passed into the signal path.

Post Number: 5
Just checked the burning method for the sine wave test disk as well and it was DOA, so don't think that is the culprit.

Post Number: 6
x889 owners-
Is the hu typically "silent" during operation? Or does the hu have operational noises that are transmitted into the signal path and amplified? What is your experience with the 889?

Any observations by current users appreciated, thanks.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
My kenwood did the exact same thing...mine was the older one from 2001 with the D mask. It made a very audible 'thump' when you switched tracks as well as when you went from 0 to 1 on the volume or turned it off. Quite annoying. I never fixed it because that deck went up in smoke shortly after (alot of smoke)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us