Normal wires VS. Streetwires

dubbedsub
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,
Im putting in a sub for my dailydriver..my question is shuld i go for streetwires or normal wires?
I want good SQ but i'm not a competitor.. the shop told me normal wires would sometimes cause noise vs. streetwires which lessens or eliminate them.
It is afterall just a sub tho..shuld i be concerned about noise at all? or be more concerned about the wirings for my mids/highs vs. sub?

Thanks all.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 937
If your talking RCA's that one thing, but speaker wire is speaker wire and the same goes for power wire. 12 gauge is 12 gauge, 4 gauge is 4.

Man, I worked at Sound Advice for a short while and let me tell you, RCA's and wire is where they make their money. The margin(markup) on that stuff was huge and those were some of the few items that had set prices, i.e. we could cut you a deal on an amp or a sub, but no way when it came to interconnects.

-Fishy

dubbedsub
Unregistered guest
Hmm.. if i got u right, ur saying that i shuld definately go for the RCA's. I see the logic in that :-)
Thanks for helping out man.

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 971
No, but better RCA's might help prevent noise problems. As long as your power/speaker wires are of sufficient size any brand will do. As I see it the only benefits gained from paying big bucks for these latter two is increased flexibility which might make comlicated runs easier and maybe a lil added protection gained from slightly thicker insulation.

I could almost justify spending extra money on RCA's(within reason), but power and speaker wire? Nah, ain't worth the added cost.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 972
[edit] complicated runs

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2366
Do you know what the difference is between 2000 strands and 1500 strands? Nothing in performance. But in price wise, you could be paying $30- $60 more.
Sure having more strands is better, but the improvement in numbers is very small, and you wouldn't notice it. Almost like a manufacturer charging extra $100 for an amp with THD .01 vs .02. Marketing gimmick.
Same thing for RCA cables. You will notice that they range in price $20 - $100+.
All you really need is "twisted" rca cable. Nothing more.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 687
Somthing like this right isaac..

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLA-5M

thats what im getting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2375
MO, that will work just fine.

dubbedsub
Unregistered guest
I'm glad i came by here for answers :-)
Isaac, can u explain what is meant by "twisted"?

Bronze Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 65
hey isaac what do you mean by twisted and could you give us a link that will be very hlepful

Gold Member

Post Number: 2430
The "twisted" rca cable is a cable that has left and right wires twisted in a braid. The benefits of this is the noise induced by half of the twist is "nullified" by the other half of the twist.
Long runs of signal wires can get noisy if the wires run parallel to each other.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 485
Knukonceptz makes excellent wire kits, at great prices.

dubbedsub
Unregistered guest
ah.. thanks man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us