Bose system questions

Anonymous

I bought a house with a Bose custom installation (either Lifestyle or "invisible" ?) however the seller removed the guts and I am left only with the white cube speakers and round ceiling flush mount speakers (she also took the sub-woofer). She had the system that had three or four zones and surround sound. I've been told that I cannot hook a regular surround sound receiver and sub-woofer to the Bose speakers because they operate at a different level (?) and I would burn up my receiver. I was also told by someone else that I could hook any receiver up to the Bose speakers. I once tried hooking them up to a cheap Kenwood receiver I had and only got fuzz. I obviously know very little about all this and would like the straight scoop. Any help??
Thank.s

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1504
You should test first if all the circuits are complete, that is, all the wires are complete from one end to the other and there are no breaks. I don't understand when you say "removed the guts", was the wiring taken out or was it the drivers and all you have is the shell?

And yes, you can hook up a regular (is there such thing as an irregular??) surround sound receiver! Who is the genius that said you can't? I really want to know who said that Bose operate at a different level, what a schmuck!

Do you really want to use Bose for your Home Theater? Or do you want to replace them and use the existing wiring?

Anonymous

Berny,
The "in wall" speakers are all that is left - wires are still there. I'm interested in something that works similar to Bose (able to operate different zones with remote) for a total cost of between 1500 and 2000. With or without using the Bose speakers currently in place. I was told that by two people at Bose that their speakers opeate at different amp or ohm (I don't remember which) and that a regular receiver would become damaged.

Anonymous

IMHO, you should lose the Bose speakers alltogether. They are junk. It should be easy enough to find a very nice, complete surround sound SYSTEM, ie HTIB (home theater in a box) in your price range. Many have multiple zones, with remote control. Decent systems can be found for under $1000, complete. The Bose will work, but they really are junk, and won't be timbre matched if you mix them with other brans speakers...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1509
Yes, resistance and load ratings do come into play when you are using multiple zones. Are you set on using the Bose speakers and are you going for the multi zone system (out of my area, sorry)? Or are you going for just the home theater in one room deal?

Anonymous

I am going for the home theater in one room but would like the capability to control music in three other zones. The other thing is I already have speakers mounted in my ceiling (Bose)plus mounted Bose cube speakers in the home theater room but they probably could be changed out?? The other zones have regular (rectangular) flush mounted speakers in ceilings (not Bose?). Since I have surface mounted speakers now I really didn't want to have more external speakers cluttering up the room. What I need to know is the following:
1) What could I get in HT that is not Bose and would be less expensive but just as good?
2) Does it have multi-zone capability?
3) Can I (or should I) use the Bose speakers already installed or if not how much would it cost to replace them and could I mount the new speakers in the same place? Can the Bose speakers be used with a different sub-woofer bass unit?
4) Considering all the above could I replace the Bose system with something (and not have unused Bose speakers around)that would be as good for $2000 or less?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us