HomeTheater Advice Needed for Apartment

Username: Mraeder

Post Number: 1
Just bought a 55" LCD 1080P 120Hz TV and a PS3. Both will be going into my apartment living room (13'8" X 12/'9" == TV will be 8'-8.5' from couch). As far as audio, what are some value, i.e. biggest bang for the buck is should be looking for -- $100-300? SoundBar and Receiver? HDMI input/output? Essentially, I am looking for ease of set-up with the best sound quality for the money and I would like to run everything through the same receiver (TV, PS3, DirectTV/UVerse, SoundBar or Speakers, etc.) Can you recommend to me a couple options and the pros/cons of each? Thanks so much for your time!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 16023
You want a receiver and speakers for that budget?

I would stay away from soundbars...they are great at simulating surround but they are pretty much a gimmick (me own personal bias, of course...you may like them)

Username: Mraeder

Post Number: 2
Well essentially I am looking for the best value package I should be looking for... lets say $400. For instance here a couple I found:

NS-R5101HD 500W Home Theater Receiver - by INSIGNIA(New for $99 + Ship)
Onkyo HT-S3400 Home Theater System - 5.1 Channel, 660 Watts Total, 8" Bass Reflex Subwoofer, THX Certified, HDMI, Black
(New for $299)
Sony HT-CT150 and/or 550 (Soundbar System)
(New - $240)

Finally, I am an home audio/video virgin and really just need some help on the best way to set things up. For instance, is it better to get a receiver (w/ several HDMI inputs) with half decent speakers then run my PS3, TV, HD Receiver, etc directly to the receiver then out to the speakers? What would I be connecting the HDMI output on the receiver too? My main uses will be HDTV, Blu-Ray via PS3, streaming netflix via PS3, PS3 games, etc. in a apartment sized living room. Thanks again!!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 16025
I am not a big fan of Onkyo. Those Insignias are actually pretty decent for a hosue brand.

Do not get any half decent speakers...you will keep those longer than the receiver. So get some decent ones.

Most of your peripherals should go directly to the receiver via HDMI. The you get one HDMI output from the receiver into the TV and you are set.

Username: Electronicchamp

Seattle, Washington

Post Number: 3
I don't like Onkyo. Those all are actually good for a house.

Username: Soundsolutions

Victoria, , BC Canada

Post Number: 3
A home theater room has to include a computer of some sort, mainly to allow you to stream media from it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us