Help hooking up PS3, HTiB, and HDTV!?!?

Username: Jar_head2010

Post Number: 1
I know there may be other threads about this subject, but I wanted to ask my specific case.

I am going to buy a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV, and a Philips Surround Sound HTIB. I have a PS3 Slim 160gb that I would also like to hookup to play through the surround sound.

I wanted to know what cables, converters, etc. I would need in order for the surround sound to work both with the TV and the PS3.

Any help, links, or suggestions are appreciated! I am trying to save as much money as possible, I'm a college student and I really don't need anything state of the art. Nor do I need many other suggestions on what I should get.

I know Bose, Onkyo, etc. may be much better for Surround Sound. I just simply would like to know what Accessories I need for the current setup I have planned.

Also if I do need a Converter box, would I need Coaxial In to Optical Out, or would I need Coaxial Out to Optical In?

If you go to this site below and click on "Can I connect my PS3/Xbox 360 to the home theater system?" it brings up a picture telling me I need a converter. It just doesn't say which kind of converter. I have found both mentioned above. Which one is it referring to?

Picture: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/home-theater-systems/1000w-rms-power-dvd-playback-hts3371d_f7/prd/en/

Samsung TV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NZBC5A

Philips Surround Sound: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VICOUE

PS3 Slim 160gb: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160-GB/dp/B003VUO6H4

Thank You in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 111
First off I would scratch that TV if you are gaming with PS3. You are not going to like the result with 60 hz. At the very least try to move up to an 1080p LED 120hz.

That HTIB is the same unit my son has and it is OK as long as you are not seeking high fidelity and don't mind the allways heavy base...

As for connectivity you should go with as much HDMI as possible from PS3 and HTIB to the TV and if at all possible TV to HTIB for sound.

If you use a cable box then the same applies their with HDMI as prefered connection.

Post Number: 3
Robert,
How does your son have his surround sound hooked up? Does he have any gaming consoles hooked to it? I'm just unsure what ports, cables, converters/ etc. I would need.

Also, I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm a college student. And I don't need state of the art type stuff. I have played the ps3 on a LCD 32" Emerson and it looked great to me. Trust me, this Samsung is going to be a huge jump from what I have now!

I just need some help and suggestions on how to hook up the current planning I have.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it Robert.

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 112
Ok, understood but here is the other problem... This TV unlt has 1 optical audio output and no analog audio out or analog composite video in...

If you get this system as you have listed you will need 2 hdmi cables and one Digital optical cable. The cables will be run as follows.

Cable from wall to TV coax in (Ant.).
HDMI from HTIB bos to TV hdmi1
HDMI from PS3 to TV HDMI2
TV digital optical out to HTIB digital optical in.

If you toss in a HDMI cable box you will have an issue as the TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and the HTIB has no HDMI inputs...

Post Number: 4
Perfect! Thanks a lot for the help Robert. MUUUUCH more help than Philips support center! I really appreciate it. Saved me some money as I was told to get a converter box! Thank you again.

Silver Member

NY USA

Post Number: 113
Glad to help. Just be sure not to spend $20 on HDMI cables as for your system the $3.00 ones will do just fine.

If you wire this the way I listed you'll be able to play TV and PS3 sound through the HTIB or not and or through the TV as well...

Post Number: 5
Ok thank you for the help. I'll keep that in mind.

Post Number: 8
Robert,

I got everything now. All is working great. This is my hookup.

PS3 to Samsung HDTV via HDMI Cable.
Samsung TV to Surround Sound system via Optical Audio Cable.

This is it. Simple, all the hookups I need, works perfect. Plays Cable TV thru surround sound, PS3 thru surround sound, and DVDs on the surround sound.

Thanks for all your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us