Cable Length? Amp Issue? Who knows...

Username: Sayitlouder

Post Number: 1
Hello all

I've recently set up a home cinema. All the chairs are in place, the projector works well, I'm slowly working through and testing various aspects.

At the moment I've plugged the xbox up to the projector by a HDMI cable. The cable is 10m long and everything seems fine to that point.

Now, there is an internal speaker in the projector I cannot seem to turn off, but it isn't actually a problem when other sounds are on, as it just seems to add/get lost in the noise rather than become a distraction.

However, when I set my speakers up in their desire locations, I required a 10m Red/White audio speaker cable to go from the projector to the subwoofer, and then the woofer delivered the sound out to the speakers.

Big problems I've immediately noticed:

The 10m red/white cables that go from the projector to the woofer seem to massively reduce the sound volume.

Any further extensions (the rear speakers needed a further 2m on top of their existing 3m) also quite drastically reduce the audio level.

Cranking up the audio level, partly resolves this, but ultimately produces a big humming noise.

I'm actually returning the speakers and woofer for 2 reasons:

1) a dial snapped off right away and it's pretty poor quality
2) They aren't super loud even when running music off a USB stick or the radio
3) Probably need bigger speakers anyway for the room size etc

Is anyone able to assist with the cable length issues though? Do I need an amp near the projector to help the signal along the 10 meters?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3546
In general, to run a speaker at a distance requires thicker wire for longer run.

For a 10 meter run to a speaker from an amplifier? 14ga minimum.

Do you need an amplifier / preamp? You need some professional setup help.

I'd also think that the speaker IN the projector can be shutoff somewhere in the menu. You're going to have to do some searching for this feature OR ask whoever sold it to you.

What is the OUTPUT of the projector and how is it measured? Volts would be maximum and indicate it should go to a preamp. If they say WATTS, I'd start looking for a new projector.
RCA connectors would tell me the projector is a low-level output and needs a preamp / Preamp Processor for surround sound.

In any event? Seek professional help with this installation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us