Optical set up

Username: Joe2010

Post Number: 1
Hi I'm new here I'm hopping some one can give me better advice than currys they don't seen to no alot about what im asking.
So i have a samsung theater system and a samsung blue-ray player also i have a HD free sat box all 3 boxes are connected to he samsung tv by HDMI and all works fine, ive connected the blue -ray to the theater system with optical again its working fine, the thing i would like to no if i connected the TV optical out to the samsung theater system optical in would that route the sound from all 3 different boxes as i turn them on including the the full HD Dolby ect sound from the blue-ray and the 5.1 from the sky box? The reason i want to do this is so i have 1 cable transferring sound Im thinking the HDMI from the boxes should carry the full surround sound to the TV but would the TV then send that same signal to the theater system?
Thanks for any help i hope this makes sense.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 260
No can't tv can't process a full digital signal out so forget that ..
by the wasy sound would be worse if you connected the optical out to stereo even if some tv manufactors say it can process 5.1

does the samsung stereo not have hdmi input?

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 79
Although I agree with Vince on the quality issue of the sound through optical I do believe the answer to your question is "yes".

The whole point of an optical port out of the television was the bridge from RCA L R to hdmi. The biggest problems with optical is usually the cables fault but the optical idea has proved to be less reliable than RCA and HDMI.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 261
ok rob wasn't sure of his question and I'm still not sure what he wants full hd lossless audio out of tv optical?
All HDMI audio signals get downgraded to 2-channel when passed through a TV to the TV's optical out.

For best multichannel sound, connect all of the HDMI (and other video/audio) cables directly to your receiver. If you use a cable box or satellite decoder box, connect that to the receiver, too. If your channel selection is being done by the TV, then you also need to connect the TV's optical (or other) audio output to the receiver. (The TV's own audio is not downgraded.)

Connect the receiver's HDMI output to your TV. The HDMI video will be passed through your receiver to the TV. Instead of selecting the appropriate input device on the TV, select it on the receiver.

Turn off the TV's internal speakers: all of the sound will be generated by your receiver and the speakers that are connected to it. The external speaker system will sound much better than the speakers in the TV. (Some people use the TV's speakers as the center channel, but most don't like it.)

If you have more HDMI connections than your receiver has HDMI inputs, then you need to consider upgrading your receiver. (Or you can use their non-HDMI connections.) If you have devices connected to the receiver which do not use HDMI, then you might need to connect the corresponding receiver outputs to your TV, too. Many mid-range receivers do not translate non-HDMI signals to HDMI, although the more expensive models do.
Now would I bother with tv optical out?
f$%&*k no
there has got to be a better way.

Post Number: 2
ok thx very much for the information, the theater system has just one optical in and the digital composite plus all the older connectors , no HDMI in so im using the optical to transfer the sound from the blue-ray in its best multi Chanel quality that's what i want no loss of quality from any of the HD devices so the best way to connect all the boxes is to use a optical splitter from maplins im guessing, id like to use other connectors but i think im out of luck.
Its a shame Samsung don't allow for multi Chanel to pass from the tv's optical out isn't it.
Thank you very much for clearing this up so fast.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 263
Joe
hi I'm not sure if your reciever has 5.1 multichannel inputs but thats what I'm using ..
if I were you joe seriously consider this reciever please forget about optical splitter..

this reciever will take all your connections then only one hdmi to your tv.
http://www.dakmart.com/p11034/SLED-DENON-AVR-1709-7.1-SURROUND-RECEIVER-AUTH-DLR -W-WT/product_info.html?osCsid=8u2a0t88m6uu71sv9hh2t4rgt4

huge upgrade over samsung
please for your sake withdraw control and listen my brother......

Post Number: 3
Samsung HT-C453 5.1 is the model i went for as a simple upgrade to what i had so its to late to go for that kit , I dont have multi channel inputs just optical now im a little upset at the advice the shop gave me they made out that optical is so amazing ii guess you live and learn don't you.
Thank you for the help you have offered its been most helpful for me understanding the main question i asked, good day to you all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us