Koss KS5192 Please HELP!!!!

Username: Carbfrze

Clearwater, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all, i just received a Koss KS5192 6.1 surround sound system through ebay. Unfortunately, when i opened it up as soon as i powered it on (with or without the speakers connected) i get a screeching/high pitched sound. I didn't know if this is possibly a known issue with Koss home theaters or not? This is my first Koss system and just wanted to know before i go and yell at the seller and demand a refund or replacement? any help would be appreciated... thx

tehkrapht
Unregistered guest
Is the sound coming from the system itself or the speakers?

I bought a new KS-5192 over a month ago and haven't had any major problems (meaning they could be fixed by turning the system off and on) with it so far.

If the sound comes from the system itself, try this: turn the unit off and unplug it from the outlet. The standby light will stay lit (even while unplugged) for about 30 seconds just so you know. Wait atleast 2 minutes before you plug in the system and try again.

If the sound is coming from the speakers, remove any disc inside the tray and turn the unit off. Wait about 3 seconds and turn the power back on. With your remote, press down, down, down, ok, down, ok. This should set all settings back to factory settings, but I've haven't tested it yet.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, b*tch out the person who sold it to you.

zxcvbnm
Unregistered guest
The two fans on the right side give off a little high-pitched sound. That's normal.

Username: Carbfrze

Clearwater, FL USA

Post Number: 2
thank you all for the help. Thankfully the seller finally contacted me and is replacing the receiver.
Thanks again for the help

Sean012
Unregistered guest
Anyone have problems with the DVD player momentarilly skipping or pixilating while watching a DVD? I just purchased one of these, and it has great sound, and the picture quality from the DVD is very clean, with the exception of the once or so for just a second, the movie will very briefly pixilate or skip a very small section. Now, I have only watched 3 DVD's, since I just recently purchased this unit, so maybe it is just me? Just wondering if another owner has experianced this???

Thanks for the info,

Sean

tehkrapht
Unregistered guest
Once before I remember it would skip a certain part of one episode of King Of The Hill. I took the disc out, tried it in another DVD player, it worked, so I tried the disc once again with the KS5192. From there on it worked, I have no idea why though.

Username: Cmonster

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERSTED IN PURCHASING A KOSS KS5192 HTIB......... HERE IS WHAT I RECEIVED WHEH I ASKED IF THERE KS5192 1000 WATT IS A TRUE 1000 WATT.

Please go through the complete explanation about the wattage for KS5190 Home
Theatre System given below.

RECEIVER

The KS5190/92 has a measured and tested total music power rating of 1000W
(if you turn the unit up all the way, the unit outputs 1000W total music
power).

However, at 10%THD, the unit has a rating of 600W (10% THD is the industry
standard at which sound distortion is measured - when our unit reaches 10%
THD, it outputs 600W).
In other words, while the unit can output as much as 1000W, the best sound
signal quality is achieved at 600W or below.

SPEAKERS

The speakers are specially designed to match the power ratings of the
receiver.
The speakers have a maximum power handling rating of 1000W (135W x 6
speakers, 190W x 1 subwoofer), which exactly matches the max power output of
the receiver.
The speakers have a best sound quality power handling rating of 600W (80W x
6 speakers, 120W x 1 subwoofer) which exactly matches the 10% THD rating of
the receiver.
In other words, while the speakers can handle the total music power of
1000W, the best sound quality is achieved at 600W.

SUMMARY
Receiver Max Power Output (with no consideration of THD): 135W x 6 channels,
190W x 1 subwoofer = 1000W
Receiver Power Output at 10% THD: 80W x 6 speakers, 120W x 1 subwoofer =
600W
Speaker Max Power Handling (with no consideration of sound quality): 135Wx 6
speakers, 190W x 1 subwoofer = 1000W
Speaker Best Sound Quality Power Handling: 80W x 6 speakers, 120W x 1
subwoofer = 600W

Koss Service Center
11733 Missouri Bottom Road,
Hazelwood, MO 63042
Phone 1-800-726-3801

TWB
Unregistered guest
I purchased the Koss ks5192 system off of ebay and shortly after hooking it up and turning it on the LCD screen went out and it started emitting a weird smell. A minute later the reciever started smoking. I contacted the seller and said that I could return it. The system sounded great at first.

Unregistered guest
I am seriously considering purchasing this Koss KS5192 Home Theatre System. For those of you using the system how would you rate it out of 5. Quality of sound, reliability, features, looks. Do your system's have the DTS ES Decoder? Also, how many digital inputs, optical and coaxial does it have. Thank you to anyone who responds. Very much appreciated.
Cheers

Unregistered guest
Help!! I just received the KS5192 & love it. But there was no manual with it & I can't find one online (so far). Can anyone help?

Anonymous

While this isn't the exact model, it looks very similar. I have a feeling it's just the lower powered version of the 5192:

http://www.sonigem.com/uploaded_files/manual_archive/KS4192-eng.pdf

zxcvbvnm
Unregistered guest
Anonymous: the KS4192 is in fact a lower-powered model of the KS5192, it has a maximum output of 600watts.

CARIB: You'll have to use the KS4192 manual available from Koss' website. It's basically the same as the 5192.
http://koss-av.com/manuals/video/DVD%20HOME%20THEATRE/DAV4192.pdf

Unregistered guest
Hi all,

seems like I'm in the same boat. I have a Koss 1000? watt ks5192 and I need a new fuse. It is marked "F8H250V" and it has a symbol. Looks like a circle and within the circle is a w with a dot over it. No sign of an amperage. I need the amperage before I can get a new fuse from the shack. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Rich

Jonny Bravo
Unregistered guest
ok... ive had my KS5192 since christmas, so the warrenty is void, and almost every time i turn it on, one of the fans on the side (i think the front one) makes a grinding noise kind of like a playing card in bike spokes. what's up and how do i fix it? thanks.

firewire800
Unregistered guest
My boyfriend recently got an HDTV, and his dad gave him a Koss ks5192. We hooked the Koss up, and sat down to watch Pirates of the Caribbean in progressive scan. (After changing all appropriate settings to progressive). It was great for about five minutes, and then it froze, and the timecode stopped. we ejected the disc and tried again. then, after about 30 seconds, we noticed the audio falling out of synch with the video; increasingly falling behind the video. We tried hooking up an external dvd player, running the component directly in to the tv, and the audio through the Koss- but still the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Lee Gratis
Unregistered guest
Carib:
You can call KOSS Customer Service at
1-800-726-3801 and request a manual. They will send you one free of charge, usually takes a couple of weeks to receive it.

zxcvbnm
Unregistered guest
Jonny Bravo, I'm having the same problem. I called Sears up and they told me that it would cost up to $95 to fix! I just use an insulated paper clip to hold it when starting up, then after about a minute I will take it out. It will work fine until I turn it off.

You can also unplug it overnight and it will work fine for up to three days. The longer you leave it unplugged, the longer it will work without problems.

lance8, yes it does have a DTS ES decoder :-)
The sound quality of the supplied speakers are great (especially the subwoofer), but you might want to look into new front speakers if your going to listen to music with this system.
Reliabilty depends on your luck. Little or no testing goes into these systems before they leave the factory (hence the low price), but if you get one that works, it's a godsend.
Features are great. Dolby Digital ES/DTS ES/Dolby Pro Logic II, MP3 and JPEG playback, SoundStage effects (Stadium, Stage, Hall, Disco, and Live), Equalizer presets (Ex Bass, Flat, Rock, Pop, Classic, and Jazz. You can also adjust the bass and treble manually.), and Dynamic Range Compression (for nighttime listening).
The silver body of the unit isn't for everyone, but you can't deny the blue light looks cool in the dark!

It also has two analog RCA inputs, one RCA output, one digital coxial, one coxial output, and one optical input.

Anonymous

need remote for koss ks5192

Jonny Bravo
Unregistered guest
okay... more issues with my ks5192... (although not fan-related) i cant figure out how to put it in dolby 6.1. ive done everything im supposed to do (select optical for input, etc) but its only showing 5 speakers and sub on the lcd... HELP

Stevetemp
Unregistered guest
Richemtp, I'm having the same issue with the F8H250V fuse being blown. After a little research, I think I found it. It's made by Wickmann, and here's a link to closest thing I can find. The only difference is a "T" insead of an "F". It looks like it's an 8-amp fuse, regardless. My local Shack didn't have any 8-amp fuses in that size, so I'm going to have to try elsewhere.

Good luck.

http://www.wickmannusa.com/englisch/catalog/dataSheet.jsp?lang=en&Id=1709

Username: Koss_info

Warning to potential buyers, stay away from Koss. The high pitched noise described here will lead to a burned up unit and Koss's customer service is the worst ever!

Anonymous

firewire800,

I'm having sync problems with my Koss KS5192 aswell. The sound is delayed by as much as 1/2 a second. Not so much with DVDs, but definitely with my DISH. I've tried the analog and digital input. No luck. If I'm watching Dolby Digital programming on DISH I have to bypass the surround sound.

I am VERY dissapointed with this system. Other than the sync problem I have no complaints, unfortunately this one problem makes the unit useless.

Any suggestions?

jonny bravo
Unregistered guest
im running optical from my computer to ks5192 but its only recognizing 2 channels and matrixing in the sub and center + surround left and right, but not rear center speaker, so im getting 5.1 instead of 6.1!

Ben2049
Unregistered guest
Im having the excact problem Jonny but it only does it when I try to play music. With Dvds it works fine though

Unregistered guest
Stay away form this product. I have lots of problems with it. This morning something blew probably a fuse from the system, it turns on but it wont regognize or run the dvd or audio. Those someone know anything of this???help!

Unregistered guest
Well, Im planning to buy one of these to go along with a set of sony ss-mf650h s I just bought...could this cause probems for the speakers? and if it can please give me a reciver recomenation. thanks

Unregistered guest
we just purchased a koss as well got every thing working only its in black and white can anyone help please?

Unregistered guest
we just purchased a koss as well got every thing working only its in black and white can anyone help please?

Username: Test32

Ramsey, MN USA

Post Number: 3
Do not buy this crap, BEST ADVICE EVER.

jonny bravo
Unregistered guest
ehhh.... my audio died, so i turned it off and on... bad idea. my room now smells like electrical-smoke (kinda like burnt hair...)

KOSS OFFICIALLY SUCKS

Unregistered guest
Anyone find a solution for the delayed audio? I seem to be able to fix it if I change the AV source from the other one and then back again. Also, if I unplug the audio and plug it back in it will work again. Unfortunately this only resets it for a few moments...

Also, does anyone ever have both fans running??? I only ever find the smaller one (closer to the front) running.

Crazyrouts
Unregistered guest
One other thing, should the fans blow outwards or inwards? Seems weird that both would blow outwards...

Unregistered guest
I found a solution for some of the problems listed here. If you go to Koss's website they actually describe most of the problems we are facing and with solutions. I just upgraded my ROM and I'll be testing it over the next few days.

This is the link to the page you should look at: http://koss-av.com/faq_ans/faq-answers-C.htm#4101_software

Username: Luvsurround

DO NOT DO THE UPGRADE!
My KS519 system was working fine except with the annoying audio delay at times.
So, I followed the upgrade instructions meticulously.
It completed successfully, but now the DVD does not operate at all. It just constantly reads "WAITING".
Koss just had me unplug and try to reset, but nothing helped.
Did Crazyrouts do the upgrade? If so, did it work ok?

BovisLL
Unregistered guest
Dang, you guys sure got a bargain didn't you? Saved a lot of money and now look at all the problems you have.

Just take the loss and buy something that cost a little bit more.

The funny thing is most of you will do it again without even a second thought.

Username: Luvsurround

Dear BovisLL,
Dang! You are soo smart.
Why do you waste your time reading posts from all us little stupid people.
And, oh, thanks for the great tips! I bet you are such a wonderful friend, everyone demands all your time. Oh wait, no, look you have all this time to read our posts and make snide, unhelpful comments.

Ron32
Unregistered guest
I have a ks4192 which i beleive is the same thing only smaller wattage output, my front fans makes this noise for about 1 min. and quits and runs normally. i was told this was normal operation for these receivers??

Unregistered guest
I did do the upgrade and it has cured the voice issue without any problems. It reads my DVD's, CD's and SD memory card without any issues. I've also taken some time to tweak all of the settings and speakers and this unit is actually pretty decent. It will tide me over until I buy a full HDTV and sound system in the next few years.

Ron32 - From what I can tell, the fans on these units initially wind up to full RPM's and after a minute, settle into a lower, less noisy phase. One modification I did to this unit (by the way - it will void your warranty) is to change the direction of the fans (now going inwards) and removed the clear plastic piece in the inside. Now the unit runs MUCH cooler and as anyone who knows electrical devices, the cooler you can run them, the longer they will last.

At first I wasn't sure about my purchase, but the more I play around with it, the better it's becoming.

Thanks,
Paul

BovisLL
Unregistered guest
Oh sorry, David Kind, I meant to say:

"The funny thing is most of you CHEAP MORONS will do it again without even a second thought."

Thanks for pointing out how smart I am. You catch on pretty quick for a Koss customer.

Ron32
Unregistered guest
crazyouts;
Thanks for the info.
Do you flip the fans around to reverse them?, i have also noticed that the rear fan doesn't come on, is this NORMAL??

Koss Bllllowwwss
Unregistered guest
I just bought the Koss KS3101 Progressive Scan DVD Home Theater System but I've had so many problems with it, I just took it back for a refund. I can understand why people get are so frustrated. The $140 price tag was a dead giveaway that it was crap.

The DVD play skips chapters as you watch a movie and doesn't even know when the disc is in. And if you had a any sort of label on the disc it wouldn't play. I just couldn't win.

Besides why should people have to do an upgrade to equipment that's supposed to work correctly when you buy it?

I agree with Bovisll and Jonny bravo: Koss officially sucks and yes, I was a cheap moron - you get what you pay for. I'll say it again - you get what you pay for.

Never again!!

Username: Frequently

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I am now taking back my second Koss and am not impressed. One I can understand having issues but the replacement too. I had my first for 2 weeks and the fan died (very loudly) , then I had my second one and the fan basically burned up after watching 3 movies (I still have the faint scent of burned wiring in my house). It is too bad because it actually sounded good. (I am no audiophile so it worked well for me). My recommendation is to take it back if you can and get something else. DO NOT BUY THIS UNIT!

Username: Jonny_bravo

Here's a tip for those of you wanting replacements:
try ebay.
get a yamaha receiver.
7.1 is awesome.
keep your current speakers, they're not that bad.
just buy another rear speaker that matches your current ones.

for those of you thinking about getting another ks5192, dont.

Username: Techwizz

Guys, if you have the time to open up your koss system and take a picture of the power supply module since my Koss KS4190 bugged down. Root cause is a PWM IC burnt up leaving no trace of part number on it. That's why I cannot buy a replacement part for it since I do not have it's part number. Anyone who would be so kind, please email the pic to michaelaneglo_usc11@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

Username: Rajavesw

Dear David King,

Me too faced the same problem of U'rs.
I have KS5190. One of my friend told, remove the FLASH Prom, form the Board. Reflash it with the Firmware, by using an external Burner & then fix it back. But the Problem I have is, I cant identify which is Flash eprom.

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/600/Prom_Flashrom.htm

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/Programming.htm
http://www.area450.com/hardwaremods/eepromremove2.html
http://people.smu.edu/zmenende/proj/defeat_dvdmod.asp

where is the F8H250V fuse? (send any pictures to evbassboy13@gmail.com)

nevermind i found it.

Post Number: 4
k so uhhhh where would one find a replacement? (checked a hardware store, best buy, and the local shack. all no)... a store name/website would be great. also, what size is it?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8676
Try an auto shop.

Post Number: 5
no dice.

Techwizz : Are you still looking for those pictures of PWM chip? If so, let me know. I can take a snap of it & post it.

For Others Looking for Firmware Upgrade:
I have tried for the upgrade & it successfully worked for me.
BUT, NEVER EVER PUT THE SAME DISK AGAIN IN THE PLAYER. DOING SO WILL WIPE OFF THE FIMWARE FROM FLASH & THE PLAYER IS DEAD.
(Which I did & my player is dead now)

If some one is looking for the firmware for this player, I can mail you. Its size is 1MB.

PS: There is NO more KOSS-AV Website & support. So dont buy this KOSS-AV Products any more, for that matter, no more non-branded products.
Also if any one, who have spotted the Flash RAM chip, please be kind enough to post the chip number / details.

Username: Techwizz

Swami: Can you verify if it is VIPer22A and in a DIP packaging? I checked another unit and I think that should be it. Thanks.

Dear Techwizz,

Yes, you are right. Its having VIPer22A and in a DIP packaging.

Dear All,

I could find out from the Harman Kardon's ,Model DVD 22 -service manual, Which is also using the Same AMLOGIC's AML3370 Processor. Form this I could figure out the pin out details of the Processor & I could trace out the same in Koss too.
Looks like 29LV160TE is the Flash memory holding the Firmware of KOSS Player. Could any one confirm this please ?

Also does any one know how to program this FLASH memory chip ? Do we get any low cost programmer for this chip, its TOSP-48 PIN Package?

Post Number: 5
Does any one have the procedure to upgrade process?
I mean the remote control's button sequence & the status of the player (I remember to be as no disc inside)
Accidentally I deleted that information file from my PC.
Thanks in advance.

Username: Krazy_k08

Anyone know if I can get a power supply to replace mine. I'm almost positive that I blew a capacitor somewhere but I can't find anything. When its plugged in the power light just slowly blinks and after about 10 minutes the disc tray light turns on and it make some noise then right back to the blinking. Even after it's unplugged it blinks for about a minute, so it must be a cap. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Username: Schaef2493

ATTN:

To those needing the uprade procedure / firmware. I have made a packaged .zip file including the firmware and the directions that were pulled directly from an archive of Koss-AV.com, thanks to the WayBack Machine.

Here is the URL to the package, hosted on my personal server. I will eventually pull them from the server so please feel free to email me and i'll send them over asap.

http://www.kevinschaefer.net/upgrade.zip

Kevin

Username: Dnguy3

I got a weird problem with my Koss 4190 unit that I desperately need help. I was holding its remote together with a remote for a LCD tv. After pressing some buttons on the tv remote to change the tv, the Koss unit suddenly went into a deep sleep. Now only the standby indicator light is lit. Nothing I've tried so far could bring it back to life - pressing all the buttons on the top panel or on the remote, pressing the power button, or unplug and replug the machine. If anybody has some insight to this problem, I would appreciate it very much.

Post Number: 6
Hi Duc Nguyen ,

After Pressing the DVD button on the player, are getting "WAITING" on the player's screen & Nothing on TV Screen ?

If so then, your player has lost the firmware.
I'm not aware for 4190, but this is the case with KS5192. For some reason the Remote control's key code may match with firmware upgrade code.

Better dont waste time and money on reparing this player, if it needs to sent for service.

Username: Wannaknow

I work @ a discount store that sells these stay away from them. Remember You only get what you pay,for spend the xtra 100-200 on a much better mid model panosonic(scth 730/733/740/743etc).they sound and are a much better value. this is not the same Koss (you or your parents) think of when you think of KOSS headphones these systems are made by ortrion.hopes this helps My intention is not to insult any of you who have purchased one but to save those of you who are planning to.

Cheers

Username: Eman0123

I have a KS4101 and would like to try a firmware upgrade. Does anyone have the files for it? I believe the file is called:
DAV4102_AML3370_USA_060505_5.1ch_06891800.zip

Username: Mattius22

BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY ELECTRONIC LIFE WAS BUYING THIS GARBAGE

First the fan was getting incredibly loud, then I got that resolved, then a lot of dvds would skip spots or stop entirely. Finally now, after owning this piece of crap for 18 months, It won't power up at all, no red light just sitting there anymore when its just plugged in, zero response. HORRIBLE DEVICE. WORST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER.

Username: Shinypenny_can

Does anyone still have the firmware upgrade. Could sure use it. Got robbed all they left behind. LOL. That should say it all
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us