Reciever shuts down

Username: Kimbhzrd

Post Number: 1
we have a sony HT-SS360 and we got it tuesday. worked fine until today. its been shutting down. now its shutting down every 20 minutes. if we turn it off, it turns itself on and vice versa. its plugged into a power conitioner and it has a magnavox cable box and sony blu ray player plugged into it. any clues? kinda sucks because we also got a mitsubishi 65 inch dlp all that good stuff tv and we cant even enjoy it. only watched 1 blu ray movie and it quits working

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 27
Sorry to hear about your disenjoyment with your new receiver. The first questions I have are where did you buy it and was it brand new?

The great thing about electronics is that they usually show signs of problems right away which allows you to return or exchange the item before warranty expiration.

To answer your concern I would think the turning off problem is most likely due to heat or input overload... Where is the unit located and how do you have the input fed to it? First thing I would check is that you have audio connected from a fixed output and there is free airflow around the unit.

Post Number: 2
got it at compusa.com and its sony. we left the receiver off for a few hrs and it seems to be working fine now. not sure if leaving it on 24/7 was the problem, but we are going to call sony on monday. thinking it overheated, but it wasnt hot.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 28
I would definately address the issue under warranty while you can. The overheating can be an issue without "feeling" hot. Often times in these components there can be a bad solder or a faulty switch or some other part that is defective which can short out or overheat without any obvious signs.

Post Number: 3
we were able to watch 3 movies straight and it was fine, on the 4th movie it started shutting down again.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 871
Greetings Kim,

Does the front panel display the word "protection" when the Sony shuts down? If so there may be a crossed speaker wire, if not then you likely have a heat issue as in it is in too small a space. If there is plenty of room around the receiver then the heat issue is internal and you will need to follow Roberts advice!

Post Number: 4
doesnt say protection. called sony today and the only way they will help us is if we box up the entire surround sound system(all 4 boxes) and ship it back to them at our expense. needless to say i wont be doing business with them, just sucks cause whats the point of having a brand new 65in tv with no surround sound

Silver Member

Post Number: 872
I am sure this is frustrating Kim but there is still hope! It is very important where the receiver is located because it needs ventilation to stay cool enough to operate. The only other thing then is to have the receiver completely out in the open to see if it runs for any length of time. If it does then a fan on cabinet may be the solution.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 29
Can you return it to compusa.com as faulty? Isn't compusa run by tigerdirect? If the unit is faulty with an overheating problem then sooner or later something will fry and it won't work at all so the sooner you bite the bullet (pay to ship it back) the better. At least that way you'll only be out the shipping $$.

Like I said earlier the good thing about electronics is that if they're bad it usually happens within the warranty period and at least you can return it. If it were me I would not bother wasting anymore time with it. If compusa.com doesn't want to cooperate then dispute it with your credit card company.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 30
From the compusa.com web site:

30 day gaurantee
WE STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCTS WE SELL

Every product that displays the "30 DAY IRON CLAD GUARANTEE" icon online is backed by our promise that you'll be satisfied with the product or we'll take it back within 30 days.

It's that simple.

There's no need for excuses. If you buy any product with a "30 DAY IRON CLAD GUARANTEE" icon via our website or catalog and decide to return it, just contact our service center for an RMA number then return the complete, undamaged product in the original packaging for an exchange or a credit to your original form of payment.

Just one more way CompUSA.com makes buying great technology hassle-free.

Post Number: 5
my bad. when the receiver shuts down and the light blinks that means it goes into protection mode. but we cant find anything else on "protection mode" book doesnt say jack in it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 878
We have basically covered all of the possible problems. "Protection" boils down to heat, crossed speaker wires or an internal failure that would be some sort of warranty issue.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2511

quote:

We have basically covered all of the possible problems. "Protection" boils down to heat, crossed speaker wires or an internal failure that would be some sort of warranty issue.

Exactly. Before you give up on this thing you should do two things:

1. Inspect the wires at every speaker and make sure there's no wire touching each other.

2. Read and heed the receiver placement cautions on page 51 of the owner's manual, epecially the parts about adequate ventilation and not blocking the vent holes on the top of the receiver.

Good luck.
­

Username: S8n

Post Number: 1
this is daniel. i tried everything this is just a 300 dollar paperweight. imma call compusa and box it up and send it back. i'm disabled and don't have the time for faulty stuff. thanx for trying to help kim and i out guys.
"s8n" (daniel)

Post Number: 6
sent it back yesterday. idiot at compusa couldnt even email the return label right, had to call them back. just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. have to wait for refund cause we paid with paypal. kinda sucks cause none of the stores around here have a home theatre system that we like. guess we will keep searching. no point in having a 65 in tv and a blu ray player with no surround sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us