Need help getting surround sound out of HTS while watching TV

Username: Huskerfaithful

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Samsung 40" HDTV (LN40A550P3F) and also a Samsung HTS in a box (HT-Z320). Also, I've got a Dish Network receiver in the mix. I've got it set up correctly for watching DVD's, but I don't know how to connect all three components in order to get HTS surround sound while watching TV. How many HDMI cables and/or optical cables do I need to accomplish this? I know I'm not the first to ask this, so thanks for your help and patience with a newbie.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 779
Cannot find you HTiB model number on the Samsung site but if it is similar to the Z310 you will need one HDMI (bought inexpensively from www.monoprice.com or a similar site) from the STB (Set Top Box [Satellite]) and the HDMI you likely already have to your TV.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/popup/howToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=642&t ype=hometheater&subtype=hometheatersystems

Hope this helps

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2466
­
Jim, if the "HT-Z320" is similar to the 310, then it does not have an HDMI input. Only one output.

Huskerfaithful, your best solution is to run an optical cable from the DISH receiver to the optical in on the Samsung receiver. The next best option is to run ordinary RCA stereo patch cord from the satellite receiver to the stereo audio inputs on the Samsung, and then engage Dolby Pro Logic II for surround sound.
­

Username: Josh209

Post Number: 10
did you try connecting all your stuff like your dish box and game systems (if any) to your tv then use the digital optical out on the tv to the htib input? you would also need to use the hdmi output from the htib to the tv input for dvd or blu ray disk playback
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us