Convert 4 ohm subwoofer 8 ohms

Username: L52williams

Post Number: 1
I purchased a 4 ohm 10" Kenwood subwoofer and need to convert it to 8 ohms. My plan is to get two 500 watt 4 ohm resisters and place them on each side of the speaker wire connection. Will this work?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 686
No it will not! Resistance and impedance are two different things as in resistance and resistors only work in DC circuits.

http://www.physlink.com/education/AskExperts/ae517.cfm

I am guessing that you have some sort of external amp and a 10" Kenwood 10" 4 ohm speaker correct? If so can you purchase a second speaker and wire them in parallel?

Post Number: 2
I have an old set of Cerwin Vega 2 way speakers that I converted to 3 way adding a horn. The 3 way crossover is from Radio Shack. My amp is a 700 watt Yamaha. It's all part of a new home theater system. I guess it's easier to just pick up 8 ohm speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 688
Wow, I am all for building systems but I have a million questions but lets start with this:

So you are trying to make a subwoofer out of a 10" Kenwood speaker with no amp? Your Yamaha probably does not have a powered sub out meaning you will need an external 4 ohm subwoofer amp.

Post Number: 3
Basically I'm trying to get the best base response it can without a subwoofer. The RX-V663 Yamaha receiver has a setting LFR/Bass out that is supposed to use the front speaker for the SW function if you don't have one. When I had it set up the tech did the setting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 690
If you simply add the speaker to the L/R front speakers you will definitely be changing the impedance that the receiver sees and could easily damage the amplifiers. By far your best bet would be to power your Kenwood speaker with something from this page or similar supplier:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=505&C FID=5976650&CFTOKEN=51835638

then use the LFE or sub out of the receiver for a much more dynamic sound especially for theater.

Post Number: 4
My plan is to swap the existing 10" for a better speaker and use the same 3 way crossover circuitry in the Cerwin Vega. I looked at parts-express - they have lots of nice stuff. My Kenwood's are from Best Buy so they have to go back. Checking on 8 ohm. Should I stay away from the speakers designed for subwoofer and just go with a good 10" bass speaker?

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
I think I would stick with a good 10" non sub speaker unless you already have a really good mid range available. Sub speakers might be a lot cheaper however basically because you can get so many sub speakers for cars these days. That may be worth a try but they would have to be a LOT cheaper!

Post Number: 5
It seems like the subwoofers are limited in their frequency response. I was looking at some 12" Kickers (yes I figured out that mine are 12")and for the price they are not worth it. Is this speaker OK. I'm not sure how good my mid range is, but to my ear it is acceptable. They are the original Cerwin Speakers - more than 20 years old.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-510&vReviewShow=1&vR eviewRand=2095468#reviews

Is there better in this price range?

Jim I really appreciate your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
I wouldn't know if you can do any better than this but I suppose I would carefully check Parts Express return policy and see how they sound!!!

Good luck and let us know!

Post Number: 6
I ordered the 12" Eminence Delta Pro speakers. They allow return. If it is installed there is a restocking fee, but I doubt that I will have a problem with the performance. My next purchase will be to replace the Radio Shack horns and possibly the crossover. Probably won't touch the Cerwin Vega mid-range for now. Can't wait for the new woofers to arrive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us