HELP: No sounds from television

Username: Gt_rider

Post Number: 1
I have recently purchased an lcd tv ( http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10 099053&catid=23244 )and a home theatre system ( http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455244 43308555&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396676342&bmUID=1230698202555&deptid=14084 74396672521&ctgrid=1408474396672522&subctgrid=1408474396676342 ).

The tv has:
-HDMI 1-2
-VGA AUDIO/PIC
-COMPONENT IN 1-2
-S-VIDEO/AV-IN
-AV OUT
-RF
-S/PDIF

The DVD/RECEIVER has:
-LINE INPUT 1-2
-HDMI OUTPUT
-S-VIDEO OUTPUT
-2-CH AUDIO OUTPUT
-COMPONENT VIDEO OUTPUT
-COAXIAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
-COMPOSITE VIDEO OUTPUT

I want to be able to have my television playing on my surround sound speakers as well as my dvd player. I have only been able to get the dvd player to work. I have just a cable cable coming out of the wall hooked up to the television. What do I need to do/how do i set up my cables?

Thank You!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 586
Greetings Remi,

What is the source of you TV signal (eg. cable/satellite box)?

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I have basic cable from the wall. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
You can try to take the AV out of your TV back to the receiver but I am afraid that because you have no digital or HD channels that this may not work. If not, do you have an old VCR that you can connect your cable to?

Post Number: 3
Yeh I've got an old DVD player that I can connect my cable to. Where would I go from there?

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
Does your DVD player have a tuner on it (recordable DVD or a DVD/VCR combo unit)?

If it has a tuner then you can take your cable from the wall to the RF in then take the composite out to the TV and the Red/White audio out to your receiver.

Keep in mind that you really need a HD box from your cable company to enjoy any decent picture from TV.

Post Number: 4
Yep it's a DVD/VCR combo. I've got the RF with the cable and the composite out to the TV.

Now what do I connect? The Red/White audio out from the VCR to the receiver or the tv? I'm a little confused.

I understand I'm not getting HD tv but HD cable will come later on. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 592
Red/White to the receiver, you will not be using the TV speakers at all.

Post Number: 5
Alright I got my sound. Now I've got two other problems.

1. The sound seems to only come out of the front right and left speakers and subwoofer. I know the other speakers are well connected because they are making a fuzz noise. I haven't found a setting I can change to make the others work.

2. The tv volume isn't adjustable. I can't change the volume from the tv or the the receiver or the VCR. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 598
Depending on what you are watching the surrounds may only have a "fuzz" noise but the center channel should be carrying most if not all of the speech.

The TV volume will not be adjustable as the TV speakers should not be used for anything.

Post Number: 6
So it's normal to only get sound coming from the front right and left speakers for certain programs? When would I get sound out of all of them?

I'm not using the TV speakers, the volume I can't adjust is the one coming out from my surround when I'm watching a tv program.

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
If you have your system set correctly you should get most of the sound from the center channel speaker.

Post Number: 7
Alright I've got it all fixed up. Thanks for the help.

I think I'm going to return this system and upgrade, I'm getting a lot of "snow" from my speakers.

Do I get real surround sound from an input if I use RED/WHITE or do I need to use an optical, coax or HDMI?

Thanks again!

Post Number: 8
Nevermind I figured that out as well. I am getting a lot of static from my speakers. I've checked the connections. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 619
What exactly do you mean by static? What source are your trying to listen to when you hear this?

Post Number: 9
It's a light sort of buzzing sound, like what you hear when your cable cuts outs and the tv goes to static.

I hear it listening to anything, DVD, TV, etc... It also makes the noise when nothing is playing, as long as the receiver is on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
A humming noise? Does the noise happen no matter what source (AM, FM, DVD, etc.) is being played? If so, humming noises are mostly picked up from the power supply (the electrical wall outlet). To see if that is the case you could try to use an extension cord to plug the receiver into an outlet on a different circuit to see if the noise disappears and/or try plugging in a radio or some such audio device into the same outlet to see if the same noise occurs.

If this noise only happens when a single source is being played please let me know and we can deal with it without me having to write a novel here!

Post Number: 10
The noise happens on all sources. I tried plugging it in elsewhere but to no avail. I think it may be the cheapness of the speakers unless I'm missing something? Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us