Advice for new home theater- small space thinking totems

Username: Marg

Post Number: 1
i'm a noob at all this - never had the space for it, but have always planned for it when I moved to larger area

Will mostly be using it for movies/blu-ray. Currently am finalizing renovation design for TV area and the rest so want to decide on speakers now too.

My theater space is a bit of a pain layout wise. I have a small apartment (big by standards here) that has an L-shaped living room, with the corner of the L being the viewing/ht area. behind this is a study. the sofa is not large and will be up against a wall (the inside corner of the L-shape). The top of this wall and the wall across from it is pretty much the only place to put any surround speakers (one practically above the viewer's head being the issue). Do people mount surrounds up here at an angle to offset this? I also have the option of putting speakers behind, but they would be on my desk and immediately above/behind viewer...

Speakers: Friend recommended me Totems, and I went to listen to them at local dealer the other day. Unfortunately they only had rainmakers available and i was looking for the dreamcatcher setup. Also told me no chance to listen to dreamcatchers anytime soon as they will not stock them anymore at local dealer/only will get them on an order basis. Rainmakers sounded great though and were 50% off for the demo model since the dealer was clearing stock. The guy even suggested I go 7.1 and get the dreamcatchers+rainmaker fronts, maybe replacing subs with a velodyne or something. Anyone see a dramatic difference between dreamcatchers/rainmakers? I know i should try to listen to anything/everything but that just isn't an option here.

My budget is about this level (dreamcatchers5.1) - I can go for more but since something to start with I figure no need to go overboard yet. I have also been looking at paradigm but the dealer here wasn't too helpful and overall the system seemed like it would be a decent bit more expensive (studio 40s 5.1 setup about 2x as much). I haven't listened to them yet as I need to request them to set them up for me but not sure if i want to bother as I'd rather play it cheaper this time around.

Also thinking of polk audio with in-ceiling surround speakers to solve some of my layout problems. Or just getting some HTIB as a last resort, with KEF the likely selection here.

Any thoughts here?

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 72
It seems you are doing a good job of gathering information but I would like to reinforce the idea of listening to any of the systems that you can before you buy. Asking any decent store to hook up a system should not be an issue (it's their JOB) and if it is, well then I might just have them do the work anyway and if I like the speakers I would buy them online!!!

The in-ceiling speaker will definitely solve your space issues and if getting wire from your receiver to the speaker locations isn't too big an issue you should be very pleased with the results.

Username: Marg

Post Number: 2
I'm in a foreign country where ordering online is not really an option. One thing I am doing is in my renovation plans, allowing for some space for in-ceiling speakers even if I don't get them now, plan being to get something now and tinker later (install in-ceiling, sell old surrounds, or use as 7.1)

any opinions on totem dreamcatchers vs paradigm studio 40s setup though? am I even comparing equivalent league setup? I was a bit concerned with costs I have been getting from paradigm dealer (about 1600 for a pair of s40)- maybe it was just their attitude that made me felt that as an entry level guy I would be a waste of their time. so i am wondering if i should even go bother listening. the cost seemed to me just out of my budget considering that it'll be my first foray into a real home theater setup. basically i am thinking even if i want to swap out of something like totem dreamcatchers I probably dont need to care too much about how much cash i burned even if i switch a year down the line, whereupon after i learn more about what i want i can take my time to go paradigm, in ceiling, allout everything and not care about budgets.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15421
Can you tell me the definition of a "real home theater" set-up?

What price would it need to be for these equipment to be above entry level?

How much do you need to spend in the store before the seller can consider you worth their while? And if that is the case, shop somewhere else.

The thing with audio set-ups is that the only thing that matter is the end user. The one who will be listening to the gear. The guests can only appreciate it once in a while. Impressed or not, it doesn't matter, if YOU do not like the end result. The law of diminishing returns apply to audio.

If you like the way the rainmakers presented themselves, then you have narrowed it down considerably.

Have you listened to the Paradigms? Did you like them as compared to the Totems? I have listened to both Paradigms and Totems, but my opinion may not have any bearing on what you like. I preferred the Paradigms, but the reason I like them may not be the same reason you will have.

Another thing you may want to consider is the source. Are you going to be using the same equipment as the dealer is using? These things will affect the way you perceive the sound so you have to be careful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us