Is there a way to hook up the s-video out on my video card to component input on my tv?

Username: Kirijini

Post Number: 2
Hello,
I'd like to hook up my computer to my TV, but my video card only has s-video out, and my tv's s-video input is broken. Is there a way to convert the s-video into component? And, is it not extraordinarily expensive?

Thanks

Username: Randman

Post Number: 3
Hi Terry,
You need a signal converter. You can find one here: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1242

Unregistered guest
I am running a S video out put connected to my PC. The S video out box is receiving the cable from two televisions and projecting what I have on the computer. I also switch out the S video cable feed to the PC for that of a feed from a Cam corder. What is the best way to keep all the hook ups connected? I want to switch from PC feed to the monitors to Cam corder feed to the monitors, without losing the cable connection running and plugging and unplugging the S video cord. Please help

lil musicman03
Unregistered guest
I have an s-video cable and a tv with an s-video input i connect them but nothing shows up on my screen (TV). What am I doing wrong?

Unregistered guest
Hi there, this will probably sound very stupid but i was wondering if it was possible to convert an s-video out, located on the back of my laptop, to an s-video in, so that i can connect a video receiver to it which itself has an s-video out port on it so it is possible to grab a feed directly from it.
Help would be much appreciated
Thankyou in advance
MDX

Unregistered guest
I am having issues hooking up 2 T.V's from one PC.I am trying to run powerpoints from my PC to my T.V's. I am running COAX from my T.V's to a converter, then into the PC. I can only seem to get one working. If I hook 2 up they both start to jump. Should I switch the COAZ to video? And if I do that how long will the videos signal stretch. These are about 60' max drops.

tomn8r
Unregistered guest
Hey,
i noticed a couple of u guys had Sv output from your com and no sv input on your tv.. you can buy a cable that has an sv input and an av output! Mine cam with my grapics card, but they shouldn't be to expcenive

VS
Unregistered guest
OK, I was able to connect the S-Video of my laptop to my latest 43" digital TV using S-Video, but the image is crappy on the TV screen. Is there any gadget which can improve the resolution so that it is atleast clear. I am aware the TV resolution is worse than a computer resolution...
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a HP compaq nx5000 Notebook Laptop. It has a S-video out port to which a 5 pin plug is to be connected. The other end of this is a yellow colored pin which has matching yellow colored socket on my TV. Normally with a CD player I connect its output to this socket on TV. Can I see the output of my Notebook CD player on the TV on its AV channel? I am unable to see anything at present. TV is blank.

Jayzee
Unregistered guest
Is there a way to connect the computer to a tv if your video card doesn't have a s video out port?

Unregistered guest
Wat kind of cable do i need to connect a computer to a t.v? thanks

Unregistered guest
i notice every one is asking questions but no one is answering then but i am going to try any way i am 16 and don`t know a whole lot about computers but i do know my geforce 5200 has an s video out and my tv has an s video in so i put the two together and tried to hook it up with an s video wire lol. sounds simple but yet i get no picture out of my tv when i put it on vcr 2 (s vdieo imput)

lukemartekky
Unregistered guest
found my problem

when i tried to put the s video wire into the back of my computer it fit in but there was more pins in the computer (i think 6) and only 4 to the tv so if any one is using geforce 5200 card u will need a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter

Brian11103
Unregistered guest
Typically your graphics card will only output one signal (i.e. to your monitor). If you just plug in the S-Video, you have to reconfigure your graphics card to TV output. You should be able to find such info in the manual...

Unregistered guest
I have a laptop with a ubc port, not a s-video, but my tv has an s-video. What is the least expensive means of connecting the two? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
/me sighs...

ok, i'm bored and ur all lucky... i'm going to start from the beginning of this year...

vaidyaguru: if ur laptop doesnt support dual monitor displays, you should be able to at least switch off the display on your laptop and enable the video feed out to your tv through the video display settings in your control panel... now, as for the whole yellow pin thing, you're rather vague, so i cant really say, although i'd assume you're referring to a video out rca plug, in which you'd get a standard rca plug and connect to the same yellow input on your tv... thats about the best i can tell you

jayzee: i'd suggest digging around on ebay for a vga to rca cable... that'd solve your problems there, and i doubt you'd have any problems really setting it up aside from screen resolution settings on your computer and tv video settings, that cable itself is really about all you need, of course you wont be able to use your monitor, since the plug plugs into the same connection...

mike collins: too vague... did you think before you posted?

Brian11103: that'd defeat the purpose of having dual monitor settings in the display settings of ur control panel... especially if you have a laptop which usually come with a vga out standard, unless you have crap for a vid card, or onboard... none-the-less, most decent aftermarket cards DO support it, unless you spent like $30 on a 5 year old card and got ripped off...

Rick Z: theres 2 ways to handle this situation... one is to look up a vga to rca adaptor on ebay or something like i said previously, ooor i'd suggest looking into an a/v switchbox that has a s-video in to coax (cable tv wire) out that way you could just wire it into your tv directly or to your vcr then to your tv using rca, or, last but not least, and probably cheapest, there are s-video to rca adaptors available on ebay starting at $0.01 which would solve your problems as well, assuming your tv has a rca input available.

hope i helped someone!

Unregistered guest
HiALL,
I recently got a laptop with a SVideo output and i have a Svideo Compatible TV .I connected the cables properly and set properly the display setting in control panel(think so ) .I get only the laptop desktop wall paper on the TV ,no other application which i run on my laptop say power point or DVD media player doesnt show up on my television ,,only the desktop wall paper shows up on the television if i change my desktop wall paper that is also updated on the television ,i am using intel extreme graphics card ,SOme body there help me out !! Thanks in advance
Srinivas

Anonymous

skocharl, what you have probably done is "extended" your desktop. On the control panel look at the placements of the monitors 1 and 2. If 2 is to the left of 1, then move some window to the left on your laptop, beyond your screen edge. This window should now start showing up on your TV. If 2 is to the right, then move the window to the right.

Unregistered guest
A note, I just wanted to point out so people "out there" could find this info, that I just discovered. I was having a terrible time trying to convert svideo to rca then to have my laptop detect my TV. My vid card has no "force" tv button. I found a trick to get it to detect (and hopefuly it will work on any laptop). I am using the most basic svideo to RCA convertor (bought on ebay). I plug it into my computers svideo output jack. then I atach a male to male rca cable to the adaptor (so it goes svid output female has a svid male to rca female cable attached, then in that I have a male to male rca cable). I go to the "detect displays" and just as I press the button for the computer to detect I put the center metal bit of the free end of the rca cable to touch the metal where the convertor and the other end of the cable meet. Basicaly I fold it over onto itself. Then after the computer detects a TV I just plug it in as normal. I realize I have to do this every time to have it work, but it is better that nothing.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I recently purchased a laptop without S-Video capability but was told that my monitor out connection could be used to play movies on my TV. I purchased the cable on e-bay; however, upon extending my desktop, I get fuzzy lines or split screen. Ive tried changing the refresh rate, etc but no change. My video card is on-board and is Intel 82864/82865. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Slacker
Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a computer with 2 usb ports, a monitor port, printer port, serial port, speaker, line in, and microphone port. also two telephone jacks. My tv has red, white, and yellow ports that I use for my dvd player. It has an input channel. My dvd player has an S-Video port. I have red, white, and yellow cables for the dvd and tv. Can my computer be connected to my tv at all with these things? If so, can someone please tell me how?

sonny
Unregistered guest
I have a Geforce 4 card with svideo out and would like to hook up my computer as a media player beside my tv. I can't get the output to display on my tv and can't get the display to tv wizard to open for the Nvidia properties. Do I need to have a monitor hooked up? If so, I guess this defeats the purpose of having th computer beside my tv since I would not have a monitor hooked up.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 71
You need to goto www.gbpvr.com and learn how it's done.

Turn the PC into a DVR and send the recorded media to any TV in the house, but you'll need to setup a home network and buy Media MVP network boxes cost $99 bucks each and a WinTV PVR-150 Cable/TV Tuner with MPEG DVD Quality recording another $99 bucks. Still check out the site and learn. Also goto www.videohelp.com to learn deeper.

Well back to the HTPC DVR I go, high ho recording I go, then watch the final results on any tv in the house I go high ho!

maxcool
Unregistered guest
i have a question, how can i hook up both of my monitors to mt\y pc, i have 2 video cards but i dunno how to do it.

Unregistered guest
I have a abit IC7-G motherboard and a ati radeon x700 graphics card, I tried everyway possible to hook up my computer to my t.v, but the screen is just blue, I tried it through s-video and through component 1 and 2 but nothing works. However I did not have this problem with my old computer, any suggestions. Thanks

Unregistered guest
My laptop has s-video output, I want to take dish receiver output into my laptop. means I want to use my laptop as a TV.
can I use in this way. if yes so how can I do this.

Thanks
Wasi

Unregistered guest
i hav an Nvidia 5200FX and i'm trying to connect it to my tv using s-video to 2RCA cables. nothing shows in my tv, what should i do??

Unregistered guest
Hi there,
I'd like to connect my laptop to my TV thru an S-video cabel. The laptop doesn't recognize the presence of the TV, so there is no output. (The laptop DOES recognize _other_ TVs, and the TV works with _other_ S-video sources, too) In the video driver there is no 'force TV detection' or similar switch. Does someone know what signal should the TV produce? Is there a way to fake it? Simple HW or anything?

merovingian
Unregistered guest
wow a lot of questions and no answers.... so here's a definitive answer to your questions... thanks to 5 months of hair pulling. S-video out connections have a standard pin configuration... unfortunately not all card manufacturers follow suit. So my recommendation is get a card that has a RCA connection as standard and all should work easily. But for those of you who already have a card with S-out, don't despair... contact the manufacturer and ask them for a schematic of the pin configuration and with some soldering dexterity you can fashion on of your own. As for RGB to RCA convertors there are tons out there... but all have issues with underscan or overscan. So the short answer here is... before you buy make sure the card manufacturer supplies the S-video to RCA adapter cable.... and test it in the shop to make sure that it works. With regards to the VGA detecting the newer device, i recommend the following, turn on the TV set first and then the PC, and update all your drivers to the reference set. (or at least the latest ones). Have fun

Unregistered guest
I have a very odd problem with my laptop and tv... all the time it was working just fine, the video and audio was working fine. Now when i try to watch a video through my laptop... all i get is the wallpaper on my desktop (showing up on the tv screen) and audio, nothing else. My laptop connects through the tv with s video.

Everything is plugged in correctly, i double checked it... And i don't think thats the issue since my wallpaper comes up and the audio works fine. *Note* no icons or anything else show up, JUST the wallpaper.

Please help.

Unregistered guest
I have a pretty old Ati radeon rage 128 pro graphics card but it as the S-video TV OUT connector, but do to my tv's old age i had to buy a RF Modulator so i could hook it to my TV so i did and i started my computer and windows started up its shown up on the screen, But once windows booted up my screen went blank, and my card will not detect my TV so im kinda running out of ideas on how to fix this? Im running off of windows 98 and yes my card is a little old but it should still support my S-video, so do i just need updated drivers or is there more to this? If you know what i should do or were i can find the right driver please e-mail me at -sgmetallica@aol.com any help would be great thanks

Anonymous

i am thinking of getting this video card an Sapphire Raedon 9550 256MB 128-bit 8x AGP but it dosent have a tv out is there way to be able to make a tv out like an adapter or sumthing to get a picture or movie on the tv..... this other card is an Sapphire Raedon 9250 256MB 128-bit 4x With Tv out but i heard its not good cuz its 4x... well plz answer me soon i will check in ..... thx alot....

Unregistered guest
Is it possible to play a DVD on the computer and feed it through to the TV?

Unregistered guest
Can a Dell c600 w/S-video out actually play media through it? Mine shows everything on the TV except media of any kind. Am I missing something? many Thanks, TJ

Andy Fletcher
Unregistered guest
OK guys, i seem to have found the solution.

I am using a Sapphire Radeon 9550 (which i think [b]Anonymous[/b] enquired about-it has S-Video out with an A/V adapter and A/V cable and works on a TV with A/V input), which has a VGA out and an S-Video out, with the intention of playing video on my PC through my TV.

As my TV doesnt have an S-Video in, i am using an S-Video to A/V adapter which came with my graphics card, and the A/V cable that came with it.

Now my PC is connected to my TV through the above method, but its pointless unless you feed any data down the line.

Right click on your desktop, and click properties.

Then settings.

The advanced.

Now if your running a similar ATI card to mine, you should have an option like this:

[img]http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/recenzje/ati_radeon_ve/obrazki/monitor_tv.gif[/img]

Here you can toggle between displaying images on your TV and monitor, or both together, but as a master and slave, as only one can show media at one time-[b]tjharden[/b] this i think is your problem.

Toggle between the two, and click apply or OK-set your TV to the correct A/V channel-mine is A/V 3 but yours maybe different, so keep flicking around, and there you go!

You may need to adjust your screen resolution to get a decent image-my TV is only small, so i had to downsize to 800x600.

Enjoi!

Andy Fletcher
Unregistered guest
Sorry, forgot to say that when you get to the screen:

http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/recenzje/ati_radeon_ve/obrazki/monitor_tv.gif

It should say "Troubleshoot" at the bottom right-you need to click this first and tick the "FORCE DETECTION OF TV" box-THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, otherwise it simply wont work.

Unregistered guest
hey im new to this whole computer to tv thing but anyway here goes...i dont have a graphics card that has a s-video out port(tv does)is there any way at all that i can use my tv as a moniter without buying a new graphics card. (my graphics card is the intel extreme graphics 2)

R4nD1cu5
Unregistered guest
this whole forum is sick. you guys dont know anything. god. learn about computers a little before jumping into questions. jesus. lack of brainpower. maybe you all should find another profession or future. R4nD!<u$.

Andy Fletcher
Unregistered guest
Sorry Mini Me, but without a VGA adaptor to convert the VGA signal into a signal that your TV understands, you cant do it im afraid.

Also, your TV needs an S-Video or Composite IN, not OUT, as the signal is going from the PC IN to the TV.

Oh yeah, and R4nD1cu5, you have to realise mate that some people may not understand as much about certain subjects thatn others, so why dont you go and either calm down, or take a long walk off a short pier.

Unregistered guest
check this, i build it and it works fine for me http://www.xs4all.nl/~expand/elektronica/s-vhs2vhs.jpg

Unregistered guest
do i still need a moniter if i use s-video out to tv?
will computer boot ok?
will this work?
thanks

g-down
Unregistered guest
Ok, stupid question here. Everyone is talking about getting the image from your PC to your TV using a S-video cable/RCA adapter. What about the sound? Will you have to listen to the PC output or how do you get the sound from your TV or amplifer? Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Andy Fletcher
Unregistered guest
Am back again.

seven2:
My particular graphics card will remember to display through the tv on boot, but yours maybe different. Unless your planning on using your PC purely as a media centre, you'll still need a monitor, as although movies look great, text is unreadable unless its very large, so word processing is impossible. It maybe my TV, a 15" crt, on a TFT LCD or Plasma, you may get a better picture, the only way to find out is to experiment.

g-down:
Sound and video are sent via seperate channels. Your video comes out of one port, and your sound another (check the back of your PC if you dont believe me). So however you route the video, the sound will stay the same, unless you mess with it.

My personal setup is an S-Video to co-ax from my graphics card into my TV, and VGA from my pc to my VGA monitor. Thats the video, the sound's a little more complicated. I have a splitter in the audio out port (the one your speakers go into), so i have to sockets instead of one. I then have my PC speakers plugged in to one of the jack sockets as normal, and the other one has a jack to red and white phono (composite, whatever) cables that go into my telly. Thus i can use my tft monitor, tv, pc speakers or tv speakers, or all together.

Andy Fletcher
Unregistered guest
Just notioced a mistake:

"My personal setup is an S-Video to co-ax from my graphics card into my TV"

Should be S-Video from my graphics card to Component In on my TV

Username: Java_bliss

Post Number: 1
Ok I just upgraded to a new graphic card and can't get the sucker to display on my tv. The new card is a geForce fx 5700 ve. It has only one svideo out with the 7 pin. In the manual it said that it can be used as a tv/s video 4 or 7 pin. So I bought a converter that would turn the 4 pin into a s video yellow cable. It didn't work though. Any ideas?
thanks

Andy Fletcher
Unregistered guest
Is there anything else you can plug into your TV's S-Video port (such as a VCR) to confirm that it works? Do you have the TV on the right setting if this is necessary?

If thats no help, goto:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/using/setup/connecttv.mspx

And follow the advice given by the dreaded (nah, theyre OK really!) Microsoft.

Also, TVTool9.7 is supposed to work with S-Video if you have a play. Heres a brief description:

"TVTool is a control center for the TV output of nVidia graphics cards. With this tool it is possible to adapt the TV output perfectly to your needs and to control the TV mode in a comfortable way. TVTool accesses the hardware directly and is able to offer a significant greater functionality than many graphics card drivers.

TVTool is a control center for the TV output of nVidia graphics cards. With this tool it is possible to adapt the TV output perfectly to your needs and to control the TV mode in a comfortable way."

I believe this can be downloaded here:

http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

Please post your results here BlissGames, and good luck!

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HandyCam with S-Video out(5 Pin). A computer with USB port, Serial port, No TV Tuner card, No Video Capture card. How can i connect my Handycam with computer. Thankyou.

Username: Bosluis

I connected my PC to my VCR thats connected to my tv using a 7 pin SV out - AV in. Nothing happens! The VCR doesnt recognize the input, and the Pc doesnt recognize the output. I use a ATI Catalyst Radeon 9800 series graphics card from where i have connected the SV out to. Can anyone pls. tell me how to get picture from my PC to my TV?

Thanks

Username: Bosluis

I connected my PC to my VCR thats connected to my tv using a 7 pin SV out - AV in. Nothing happens! The VCR doesnt recognize the input, and the Pc doesnt recognize the output. I use a ATI Catalyst Radeon 9800 series graphics card from where i have connected the SV out to. Can anyone pls. tell me how to get picture from my PC to my TV?

Thanks

ATI GUY
Unregistered guest
\\\\\\if you know this you are smart.../////////////////
ati300 has monitor out and s video out, i have an adapter and the whole dual screen thing works, but i cant see @#$% on my tv screen, its a small tv and when i change the dpi it is looks really good, but then everything on my regular monitor gets messed up, is there a driver? a setting? a something i can change to make seperate settings for the 2 screens?

ummm....yeah
Unregistered guest
LISTEN, GUYS! YOU SHOULD START YOUR OWN THREADS, THIS IS GETTING WAY TOO SLOPPY! IF YOU START YOUR OWN THREAD, THERE IS A BETTER CHANCE OF YOUR QUESTION TO BE ANSWERED IN A MORE TIMELY MANNER.
THANKS GUYS.

Creatorofcds
Unregistered guest
I just bought a new tv, which i can hook up to my computer my question is, Can i hook up two monitors to one computer. And if so, how?

Andy211
Unregistered guest
At first, I was having problems hooking up the computer to the t.v. via the s video, but I eventually got it to work. This is what worked for me I hope it works for you. Turn your computer off and your t.v. on. Then connect the s video cable to the t.v. and computer. Change your T.V. to the (AV1) setting, and then turn on your computer it should work from there. For the sound component I hooked a monster cable from the headphone jack in the computer and then to my reciever. Good luck

Username: Adidas317

Yeah i have the VGN-SZ230P there a monitor cord anywhere online so i can hook it up to my tv?? thanks!

Username: Muki123

CoventryWest midlands

Hi All, im new to this forum. Can some one please please help me. im having problems connecting my laptop to my tv. when i connect my laptop via a VGA cable from to my LCD TV which also has a VGA it shows only my wallpaper that displayed on my laptop, no other window or application i bring up. just my wallpaper. i did go into control panel - display settings and it show the primary screen no 1 shows on my laptop and number 2 shows on my tv. i have also changed to the resolution and size of the screen but no luck. can some one pls help. Thanks everyone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us