Planning on buying a Harmon Kardon Amplifier

Username: Clivebuckwheat

Post Number: 5
Model AVR135. I have a bose lifestyle 12 system. I would like to replace the bose amp that came with the system with the Harmon Kardon I mentioned. Will I have any issues.

The technician I had to my House a couple of years ago, told me only the Bose Amp, will work with my Bose speakers that came with my lifestyle 12?. I always thought speakers are speakers, and would work with any amp.

Please share you thoughts and clear up my confusion, before I go to the store this weekend.

I am looking to spend 300 to 500 on an amp, if you have any other suggestions besides the Harmon Kardon feel free.

Thanks for your advice.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12996
Why do you want to replace the Bose receiver?

Username: Clivebuckwheat

Post Number: 6
Because the Bose amp doesn't have digital. I asked a few people and they have said I can't change the amp for the Harmon Kardon because

"The speakers are designed to be run from the reciever, to the acoustimass module, then output to the speakers, and it is connected with either an s-video looking plug or maybe even a computer lookin thing."

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12997
Are intent on keeping the Bose? The best thing to do is sell the Bose and use the money to start from scratch.

But if you have to use the speakers, you can use the satellite speakers and connect directly to the the speaker outputs of the HK receiver. You won't be able to use the sub module, unless you can figure out how the wiring works into the input and whether or not it is high level or low level.

It is more trouble than its worth, IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Wader

Post Number: 13
I was just looking at the Bose Lifestyle 12 manual - it seems to indicate that the Bose system has one digital input to enable Dolby Digital surround for DVD or similar sources. FYI.

Berny covered the most relevant issues, though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13000
Indeed, it has 1 input for digital but it is not capable of DTS bitstream. A lot of receivers, even the entry level ones have DTS nowadays.

It is not worth hanging on to any piece of this unit and you can get more by just selling the whole lot. You really won't get any improvement by keeping the speakers and upgrading your receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1179
Rob:

I don't know that particular Bose speaker system, but if you were warned that only a Bose amp would work, it may be because some Bose systems have very low impedence (I have seen some Bose speakers with a 1/2 ohm impedence), which no one else can handle, not even NAD. Check it out with a dealer to see if that is a problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us