New HT PC

Bronze Member
Username: Jaday

SC

Post Number: 16
So I think that the next stage of my home theater development is going to be a computer addition to the system. I am currently a college student and only have a laptop for my classes. It's a pretty powerful Dell, so I'm thinking about just using that right now until I can really afford to plung in with an isolated HT PC. I already have a SP Audiogy 6 Channel Cardbus audio card for the laptop and an external hard drive for some storage, but am wondering where to go from here. I think it would be really awesome to have a tuner card to create a DVR. I also have plenty of movies downloaded and my video card isn't incredibly great, so I would probably have to get something else... What are you guy's suggestions? Should I just wait and do the HT PC by itself instead? What sort of costs am I looking at for that? Again, I'm new to this area of home theater, give me some insight!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9295
From your statements, you already have a home theater. What is it NOT doing now that you want it to do?

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 27
Primarily the tivo/DVR stuff and then having an ATSC tuner to pick up some antenna HD... It would also be nice to just not have alot of the multimedia software on my laptop to free up some space and whatnot.

And then of course there's the "cool factor," which I somewhat want to admit to... it's just an awesome idea and few people I know have them =)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9307
That would be cool:-)

However, you are going to be limited by the laptop in what you can do. And if you are going that route, you will be spending a lot of money on cards and a decent video card. How will you be displaying the movies?

You really want to step up to an HT PC.

Bronze Member

SC

Post Number: 29
Right now on my laptop I'm using an Audigy 5.1 laptop sound card and then just s-video for the picture. I guess I just feel like I'm gonna be throwing this laptop out in a couple of years, so gettting an actual HTPC would be nice and then I'd have DVI-HDMI into the TV or possibly component... have to see what I have available

Gold Member

Post Number: 9352
Getting an actual HTPC is a better course of action.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us