HTCP vs reciever for HDTV

Bronze Member
Username: Boo71886

Post Number: 13
I am currently building a entire home theater system for my new apartment I'm moving into in August. For my entertainment system, this is the components

TV
Samsung HL-R87W/88W

TV Pedastal
TR85 Pedestal DLP Stand

Home Theater System
JBL Northbridge Series (5.1)
EC35-center
E100- Front sides
E100- Back sides
E250P- subwoofer
Universal Remote- Logitech Harmony 880
A/V Reciever- JVC RX-D702B

That TV supports HDTV, so i figured i should get a reciever that would allow me to do that also, but then I saw a really nice HTCP build on Extreme Tech.com seen here http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1910025,00.asp

When I saw that I figured wow, I can hook that up and have all my movies and music on there, and if I get the Silverstone LaScala LC18 case there would be no need for a keyboard and mouse. My question is, does it make more since to go with the HTCP or the JVC reciever I listed?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7780
If that is what you want to happen, of course it makes more sense. it really depends on the end consumer. Are you going to be using the computer for other things or just for the Home Theater?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7781
Now you realize that the Home Theater PC is not designed to run your Home Theater Speaker systems now don't you? You will still need an amplifier to drive your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
no the comp will only b used for the home theater, i was looking at xbox mods how ever and was considering just buying one already modded, do you think its worth it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7793
Do you mean that you are going to use a modified xbox as a DVD player/game system? If that is the case, I personally don't like using a game system as my DVD player, I have a dedicated DVD player for that purpose. The xbox is a great game system, and it should stay as such. But if you are a gamer, it is definitely worth it. If not, keep the xbox separate.

My question is, how are you going to get the sound to your Northridge series speakers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Berny- to answer the first question, yes i am a gamer and yes i would use it for gaming, media center, and dvd watching. You can buy a modified xbox for way cheaper then a HTCP, plus the modified xboxs have XBOX Media Center which is like windows media center. I can get the same amount of space as on a computer, and play games, music, etc on the xbox. I think its worth it to just buy that instead of spending like 2,500.00 on an HTCP. What do you think?

Second question- to hook up those speakers I will be useing my JVC RX-D702B reciever. I changed the remote to a PHILIPS RC9800I, and added a BELKIN AP41300 to regulate voltage and for surge protection, are those good parts? I read up on them especially that remote and it has ALOT of nice features.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7807
Any reliability issues on a modded Xbox? That would be my first concern. But for the purpose you want, I think it is worth it over a whole new PC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
No, and i wont be modding it myself, Im goin to purchase a premodded xbox. This is the xbox
http://www.modchipworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=226

its 529.00 dollers. I figured since i can copy the games to the hard drive as well as movies n roms with evoX(downloading now took for ever to find it). check it out n let me know wat u think

Gold Member

Post Number: 7810
Very niiiice! Seems like a good machine. Just make sure it has a good warranty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
would u be willing 2 go to my other threads n answer my questions Berny? u seem to know alot

Gold Member

Post Number: 7815
What other threads???

Dude, my only knowledge is through experience. I am willing to help, but only in areas I can tackle. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us