Help!!!! Center Channel Problems

Username: Sonenblick

Post Number: 1
I don't think my setup matters, this is more of an intermittent problem that is pissing me off.

I have all sound going through my receiver - this means DVD, TV, cable. The cable is using optical and the DVD is using coax. Video for DVD and cable are component going in to the receiver and then out to the TV.

Anyway...I am having an issue with the center channel speaker (5.1). Every so often, and most noticeably when the sub kicks in, the center channel gets completely muffled. If I change TV channels or if I pause or rewind the DVD it clears up and goes back to normal.

I have tried switching the center speaker for one of the front surround speakers, left it that way for a week and it sounded fine the entire time. So, I thought "it must be the center speaker". I got a new center speaker and went back to having the setup the right way - center to center, left to left and so on.

Tonight I am watching 24 and boom - it happens again - the voice channel gets muffled.

I had the impedance on the receiver at 8 ohms. I just reduced it to 4 ohms. Will this make a difference?

Any suggestions at all on what the heck to do? Please help!!!

Username: Reddfoxx

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
It could depend on your receiver. Some receivers like mine has digital jacks for either coax or fibre optic cables. When you connect components to both the COAXIAL and OPTICAL jacks, priority is given to the input signal from the coaxial jack. Try to use the same type of cables if possible. Check your manual. If your speakers are 8 ohms stick to 8 ohms.

Post Number: 2
I will give it a try, but my receiver only has one digital coax audio in and 4 optical in. Should I go ahead and just use all optical in then?

I have no clue what impedance I should set it at - the front speakers are pretty old - Bose 4.2 series. I have a JBL Northridge EC25 center channel speaker, and a pair of el-cheapo Sony rear speakers.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Try optical and see if it solves the problem.
What kind of receiver, DVD, TV, cable box are you using?
Try to explain your hookup in detail if possible. Kind of hard to diagnose without all the info.

Did you mean Bose 301 4.2 series if so it is 8 ohms. If not go to the Bose web site and look up manuals for discontinued products.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/customer_servic e/owners/guides/index.jsp\

JBL Northridge EC25 is 8 ohms

Sony ? probably 8 ohms.

One quick way to find out is to use an Ohm meter and mesure the resistance across the + and -- posts. Make sure you disconnect the speaker wires.

Post Number: 3
I finally purchased an additional optical cable, so now I have optical for both the DVD and the cable box. My setup, since you asked is:

DVD - Sony DVP-NS725P
Receiver - JVC RX9010V
Cable - Motorola DCT 3412
TV - Samsung TSK 2790F (or 2792F) (which I think is HD and not ED)

The front speakers are not the 301 4.2 series. They are the old Bose Stereo Everywhere 4.2 speakers - from around 1995 (but I must say, still sound damn good for my ears).

Post Number: 4
And just as a follow up...I was watching TV tonight and one of the times when the sub-woofer kicked (it auto-powers off depending on the level, then kicks in when it hits a threshold), the center kicked out. I am changed three things today...
1. the digital coax for optical (now both are optical)
2. changed the impedence back to 8 ohms
3. changed the sub to autopower instead of always on

Now...I just changed the sub back to always on. I will see what happens over the next week or so. If it happens again, I will change the impedence back to 4 ohms and see what happens again.

I am beginning to wonder if it is time to get a new receiver or not. (I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V750). Opinions?

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Hi Mark,

I was browsing through the forum and came upon this. You might want to take a look.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/198390.html
Sounds like your not the only one having problems with JVC. These are different models from yours,(JVC 8030, JVC 8010) but they seem to be having the same problem as you are. Also in the last post there is a link to a user review for JVC 8030.
http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_RX_8030VBK/4864-6466_7-20845647.html?ctype=msgid&mes sageSiteID=7&messageID=1681199&cval=1681199&tag=uolst
Does not look promising.

Post Number: 6
Looks like I am not the only one having this problem. I will have to consider getting another receiver soon. I am thinking about the Yamaha RX-V750 (I think that is their receiver and not their motorcycle). Consumer Reports rated it fairly high. Any thoughts? Mind you...my wife is setting the budget!

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
Yamaha is a good choice. I use the RX-V2500, have had it for the past 2 years and have had no problems. The model your are looking at is an older model (dicontinued I believe). However it is still a good buy, but would depend on the asking price. When I purchased my RX-V2500 it was $1300.00 CDN. It can be had today for about $900.00 if you shop around. Go to the Yamaha site and compare the models, everybody's needs are different.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV_series.htm
Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 23
you guys need to talk to mr. VIGNE he's the audio tech around here...there's a few others but from i have heard, he has all the technical expertise help solve some of these problems

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 842
"mr. VIGNE" hates center channel speakers and receivers. You shall find no solace in his counsel for this problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us