Connection ?s

Username: Ejmuelle

Post Number: 1
I have Dishnetwork DVR with optical audio out, s-video out (no component video out), RCA video output; Sony DVD with optical audio out, s-video and component video out; Yamaha YHT-160 HTIB receiver has 2 optical audio inputs, no s-video inputs/outputs, and 2 component video inputs, 1 component video output; Panasonic TV has one s-video input, one component video input, two RCA video inputs. I'm pretty clear on utilizing the optical audio for satellite and DVD, but wonder if i should bypass the receiver for s-video connections (but TV only has one s-video input (does have another s-video input under front flap door, which I dont want to use permanently, I dont think). Any advice would be appreciated.
PS is there a universal remote which controls Dishnetwork along with other components?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 681
Edward,
Why not use the component out on your DVD player directly into the TV's component in?

Then use the S-video out from the DVR into the TV's S-video.

This would require a double switch between the two sources, meaning you'd have to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver for DishTV and the DVD player.

I'm sure there's remotes that'll do both in one easy macro function. RatShack used to have a very good $30 unit. Check with them. Good luck.

Username: Ejmuelle

Post Number: 2
More connection ?s (my receiver: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5830.htm):

1. What should I use for DVD audio: optical output or six channel outputs? My DVD player can play SACDs which I believe are optimized for the six channel output, but I don't think I have any SACDs, just regular CDs and I'd like to use the AV receiver's DSP program options.

2. Is there any sense in connecting the DVD component video through the receiver (and then a second component video cable from the receiver to the TV), instead of directly from the DVD to the TV. My Dish network DVR does not have component video output, and will be connected directly to the TV via S-video input.

3. Is there a noticeable improvement in audio or video with the "gold plated" cables. I'd rather use the non-gold cables I already have unless someone convinces me to opt for the gold cables.

4. My basement renovation contractor recommends I return my 16 gauge stereo wire for something thinner which will allow it to be more easily snaked through the wall mount. The thicker wire will evidently not fit through a small hole immediately next to the screw which mounts the front and surround speakers to the wall.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6089
1. Use both optical and analog. You should still be able to use the DSP options.

2. You can go directly from DVD's video output to your TV. The receiver serves as a convenient switch to consolidate everything and you don't need to attach the video component outputs to the receiver.

3. As far as cable go...read this and you will come to your conclusion http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/cables.htm

4. Use 14 gauge wires and no thinner. Your contractor needs to deal with that. Your house your money your gear. They can still snake those wires through without problems.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 732
Edward,
1. For movie surround sound, you should use either the optical or coax digital output into the receiver. The receiver then decodes the Dolby Digital or DTS signal. The 6 channel analog outputs on your DVD player are not active when playing a movie. You need to utilize them if you want to play an SACD. BTW, your question "what should I use for DVD audio" could be interpreted to mean you were asking about DVD Audio, a competing high resolution audio format with SACD. Both formats can only be heard through the analog outputs into a receiver/processor built to receive them.

2. The only reason to run component through your receiver is for convenience switching of sources. Later, if you are faced with another piece with component outputs, then you'd want to run both component sets into the receiver. This would give you switching convenience and solve a bigger problem since your TV has only one component input.

3. This cable question gets asked around here a lot, and I'm not about to stir the pot on this issue. You could easily spend more than your receiver is worth on one wire. The only thing I will say is if your wiring is hard to get to and it will be difficult to change out a faulty patch cord, go for a step up in quality from those $3 three foot bubble packed stereo cords you see on pegboards everywhere, gold plated or otherwise.

4. This is another controversial wire question. Again, I do not wish to start another skirmish on this issue. All I will say about it is strictly one man's opinion. Edward, if this were my system, I would never go smaller than 16 gauge on any speaker. I would definitely look for any alternative solution to this problem. If that's impossible, then 18 ga. is not a deal breaker, but I wouldn't be happy about it. You didn't say what your speakers are, but even if they're small and cheap, what if you want to upgrade later?

BTW, there's lots of universal remotes out there. I'd start with Radio Shack. At least there's somebody there you can talk to who can check on Dishnetwork compatibility with their
u-remotes.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 733
Thanks Berny...as always you said it better with fewer words.
:-)

Also Edward, check out monoprice.com for A/V cords. Good service, very good quality and great prices.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6091
Your articulation says more of what I am thinkingUpload

Anonymous

If I am planning on connecting a 2.1 bose system directly to a tv, would I need top-notch speaker cables, or is the idea just plain dumb for not getting a receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6484
No, you would not need top notch speaker cables. How are you going to connect the speakers to the TV?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us