Help!! no surround sound from TV, only dvd's

DLIEDKA
Unregistered guest
i recently bought a sony home theatre system. my boy friend hookED it up for me buT here the problem,
we only get surround sound when we play dvd's. we are not getting sorround sound when just watching tv. here are the componants we have hooked up .

sony home theatre system model # HT-DDW660
motorolla digital cable box
samsung dvd/vcr combo
sansui tv.

how should all of this be hooked up so that we get surround sound when watching movies on cable tv? neither me or my boyfriend know a whole lot about this sort of thing, sorry, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 498
Remember this important piece of information and we will go from there. In order to achieve surround sound from all components, all components must be either directly or indirectly connected to your receiver. What follows is a suggestion only and is not the only way to connect. First connect optical or coaxial cable from DVD output to corresponding receiver input. This necessarily assumes that your receiver has optical, coaxial or both input(s). Next connect digital cable box audio out to receiver audio input using standard rca cables. If the cable box has an optical or coaxial output and your receiver has multiple digital inputs, use this connection instead of rca cables. Next run rca cables from your tv audio out jack to receiver audio in jack. This assumes that yout tv has such a jack and your receiver has at least two standard audio inputs. I am not addressing video connection options since you only requested guidance on audio. Remember that as far as cable tv goes, you will only hear surround if the broadcast is in surround. If this doesn't work, let me know and we'll try something else.

DLIEDKA
Unregistered guest
Ok, we did all of the above and now out of 500 some odd channels, i only get surround sound on 4 channels, MTV, VH1, MTV2 AND THE DISNEY CHANNEL.What is up with that? there were several movices on that i know are in surround sound, ie, starsky and hutch, mission impossible and charlies angels. butnone of them came through in surround sound. what am i doing wrong here??????

DLIEDKA
Unregistered guest
Ok, we did all of the above and now out of 500 some odd channels, i only get surround sound on 4 channels, MTV, VH1, MTV2 AND THE DISNEY CHANNEL.What is up with that? there were several movices on that i know are in surround sound, ie, starsky and hutch, mission impossible and charlies angels. butnone of them came through in surround sound. what am i doing wrong here??????

DLIEDKA
Unregistered guest

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 608
DL,
what is your receiver telling you that you are getting out of the 'other' 500 channels?? No sound at all, or is it showing as 2-channel stereo.

What you'll need to do is select a decoder on your receiver to simulate 5.1 surround, and then you'll have sound through all speakers. New receivers of today do a great job at taking a 2-channel audio source and simulating 5.1 surround.

How are you connecting your cable box to your receiver?? Do you have coaxial or optical outputs?

dliedka
Unregistered guest
the reciver shows all the speakers to be on but there is only souns on certian chanells. the cable box is conneted via red and white rca cable, just like i was told to do above

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
Assuming that you followed Paul's advice for simulated surround set up, your problem may very well be with your cable provider, especially if certain channels are coming through in surround. Just because a program is broadcast in surround does not necessarily mean that your provider carries or sends it out that way.

dliedka
Unregistered guest
so what should i do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Contact your cable provider and find out which channels they actually broadcast in surround. Or have your satellite box checked to make certain it is properly decoding surround signals.

dliekda
Unregistered guest
It works!! i found out the problem was our cable box did not hAve an optical audio plug. so the reAson we were only getting surround sound on dvd was because the dvd player was the only thing that had the optical audio going in to the receiver, i went to the cable company and got a new box that has the optical plug, bought the wire, pluged it in, and BINGO!! we now HAVE surround sounD on EVERY channel!! thank you so much for your help on this problem!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
Gotta love the cablebox upgrades.....

congrats!!

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 609
im reposting a question i got from a private message from Crazyforsound
and wonder if some one can answer this question for him, im over my head when it come to surround sound
here the question from Crazyforsound
hey, i got a sony dre597 reciever, a dvd/vcr player , comcast cablebox and a tv w/ video/audio in on the back and a coax hookup.what i did was run the cable line into the comcast box, then from the comcast a coax to the dvd/vcr then from that a coax to the tv. from that the tv pictutree and sound is great but yet my pioneers 6.1 surround makes no noise. i did hook up the audio out from the dvd to the reciever and selected dvd on the reciever. yet no sound. the curround works just fine when the radio on the recoiever is turned on[it sounds damn great with the 600 watt surround system] but me and my fiance waht s=ussound sound for watchin movies and tv. any help would be great plaese help me!
thanks so much,
crazyforsound. usa

Unregistered guest
please help- i just purchased a kenwood receiver(vrs 6100)w/dvd player and bose speakers i have no sound on tv or surround sound?? help

Unregistered guest
Surround sound woes again...
I have a Sony DAVSB300 home cinema system and have hooked it up the way the instructions tell me, but i'm only getting surround sound on cds and dvds, but not the TV through a Sky+ box. My scart lead goes from the Sky+ to the TV and there's a separate scart from the Sony to the TV too. There is only one scart lead point in the Sony receiver, so I can't take a scart from the Sky box into the Sony receiver and then out to the TV. However, the instructions say put the white and red jack leads from the Sky+ box into the Sony receiver, rather than into the TV. I've done this, but it doesn't work. There are no 'audio out' jacks from the Sony receiver. Where am I going wrong?

Lazybones
Unregistered guest
... I've sorted it out now, the receiver had to be set to SAT to put the sound through the speakers. It's all very fiddly and you need to use yet another remote control to operate the damn television properly. When are they going to invent an all-in-one system with everything operated by a single remote?

Anonymous

If i have a 5.1 dvd system. It will play tv in surround from a sky box, but can it play the tv in surround without a sky box, i.e the old fashioned coax and aerial on the roof?

Si
Unregistered guest
I have just bought a AS134 Active Home Theatre System. There is no remote control. Is there anyway of using my sky+ remote, which the volume does not work, since I bought a 42 inch plasma tv.
Thank you in advance.

Si.

Si
Unregistered guest
I have just bought a AS134 Active Home Theatre System. There is no remote control. Is there anyway of using my sky+ remote, which the volume does not work, since I bought a 42 inch plasma tv.
Thank you in advance.

Si.

roz
Unregistered guest
Please help we have just bought a wharfedale all in one cinema system and connected it to our tv by scart lead the problem is we have no surround sound from the tv ony when playing dvd's. Please can someone help and please can you keep it ultra simple as I have no technical knowledge at all.

Username: Jking98

Post Number: 1
How Do I get Surround Sound for Tv, I have Harman Kardon 235 and Sony 57 inch tv I bought Coax cable

papillon680
Unregistered guest
please can anyone help,have just acqired set of 5.1 surround sound speakers.was then told that i needed a seperate amp to connect everything to.if i was to buy a dvd player that says 5.1 surround can i then connect everything throuh this or will i still need a seperate amp.also if i buy this dvd player then will i only have surround sound when playing a dvd or is there some way that i can have this effect when using sky and video..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1744
papi,

You'll need to buy a 5.1 compatable receiver to use your new speakers as you mentioned above.

M.Birch
Unregistered guest
Problem with Wharfedale 21" t.v. Recently Volume,Brightness, Contrast,etc etc constantly runs along the bottom of the screen for no apparent reason. New batteries are in the remote. Can anyone help a Pensioner please?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2422
Does the display turn on by itself when the remote is in another room or without batteries?

Miros
Unregistered guest
I have more of a low tech problem. I have an older television that I am hoping to connect to a surround sound system. The tv only has a coax input and I am searching for the adapter necessary to attach such a cable to an a/v input. I attempted to use an r/f adapter but it only had an a/v input andtherefore failed to output the audio. Does anyone know what adaptor would solve my problem?

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 50
Miros, your best bet would be getting a VCR to get the TV audio from. VCR is just as cheap an an adaptor and it does a whole lot more.

Ipkis
Unregistered guest
Surround Sound 5.1 with Sky+.
If your having problems, check that you have purchased an Optical Lead. No other lead will do the job.. you still need your scart leads and audio leads but the Optical Lead connects from the Sky+ box to your Theatre system...

Unregistered guest
I have Sony HDTV, Sony DVD/VCR combo, Yamaha HTR-5830 receiver, and Motorola Digital High definition cable box from Comcast. I am getting a good picture but I am not getting sorround sound on the audio, What's the problem?All 5 speaker are working but not sorround.

Username: Omegaxdestroyer

Post Number: 1
I have a Sanyo Flat Screen T.V. (DS24425), Sony STR-DE598 Receiver, Sony DVP-NC665P DVD Player, Bose Accoustimass 10 Series II Surround Sound System.

I have set everything up according to the instructions provided in the manual but I've got a slight problem. I am able to get surround sound when playing DVD's but I'm unable to get anything at all through the T.V. I thought that what I was watching wasn't in surround sound, so I found something that was, and still nothing.

I have the Red,Blue, Green wires hooked up from the T.V. to the receiver, the A/V going to the DVD player. The sound is there and sounds good when on DVD but as I said ... nothing on T.V.

Please help so that I can enjoy the surround sound on the television.

LisaH
Unregistered guest
Oh my goodness...there sure are alot of things to hook up when you go to a sound system & HDTV. I've gotten the sound to finally work for TV, that was the issue at first. I changed the connections recently due to the upgrade to HDTV & the new cable box. I use to be able to play the DVD, now I'm just getting the sound from the DVD & not the picture. Any suggestions? Something must not be hooked up incorrectly for the video..... Thanks!

pio
Unregistered guest
I have a tevion 5.1 sound system with only analogue inputs to amplifier. I can get real 5.1 sound from dvds, when selecting the dvd setting on my amp, using my tevion 5.1 output dvd recorder The DVD recorder has in & out scart sockets.
I can get simulated 5.1 sound from tv using aux setting on my surround sound sytem.
I have sky+, but despite running my Sky+ output scart to the input one on my dvd recorder, I only get 2 channel stereo when using this source and selecting dvd on my sound amplifier.
Does anyone know is it possible for me to get 5.1 sound from sky+, when broadcast, using my current system.
Thanking you in advance

Unregistered guest
Hi guys, I'm in need of assistance. I recently bought an HDTV package that includes a progressive scan DVD player and a 5.1 surround sound system. My problem is that My surround system seems to only hook up to my DVD player and not the TV. The TV is only able to be connected to a 2.1 surround sound system (I think), since in only has three connections for Audio which is the Right speaker, the Left speaker, and the SUBwoofer (or amplifier), and that is it! no other audio connections are on the tv. I want to hear surround sound when i'm watching ANYTHING such as regular TV, DVD's, GAMING Systems, and etc. I dont just want to hear surround sound only from the DVD player! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME????????

Unregistered guest
I have a RCA TV and a Curtis Home Theater System(got new for Christmas). I only have an outside antenna for the TV. My DVD player is connected to the VCR. The antenna is connected from the TV to the VCR. Surround sound will only play through the DVD....nothing else.

Anonymous

I have a philips home theater system and I can get surround sound from all speakers on the dvd, playing a cd, or the radio, but when I watch TV I only get sound from the right speakers. I think its because I only have one audio output in my TV, there is no place for the red cable. Is there a converter or anything that I can do besides buy a new tv? Please help. Thanks!

UKnovice
Unregistered guest
I have bought the Tevion home theatre system - 105 watts, RMS output with 5.1 DVD player and AM/FM tuner from Aldi and after spending 2 weeks on it I am still having loads of trouble trying to set it up from the manual. The manual is very basic, ref TCHTS2100, with tiny diagrams and very little information on connecting all the components. Is this all the documentation there is?

I am not familar with separate stereo type components and I cannot set it up for sound. Does anyone know where the woofer attaches? I presume the woofer is the big speaker. I can only see details for the satellite speakers. I can only get sound from one of the satellites. The woofer isn't attached yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have a SONY KD-28DX50U TV (digital triniton integrated freeview)
Hitachi VT-FX340EUK VCR
Technosonic PVR101 80gb hard disk drive video recorder (includes freeview) and a multi-region Tevion DVD Player TSDVD1200
I don't have satellite or cable, just freeview

All the above, excepting the home theatre system, I have set up myself and they work fine together. God knows how!

What are the best methods of connection - SCART, optical or the coloured leads for audio and video. The TV doesn't seem to have the optical connection, but the home theatre does.

Should I disconnect the existing Aldi Tevion TSDVD1200? Or does it give me more flexibility than the DVD on the theatre sytem?
Do I need a SCART 1 to 3 adaptor or similar as I won't have enough SCART connections to the TV (currently 2) if I add the home cinema system without removing the TSDVD1200?

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone. I am very new to this. All i want to know is...i have a 27" sharp tv with no audio outputs. Just one audio in on back and one audio in on front of set. I just bought a sony home theater receiver and speakers. Is it possible to get my cable channels to come through the sony speakers and not the tv. I do happen to have a digital cable box that DOES have audio outputs. Will any of this work. Or am I wasting my time?

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DAV-FX80 Dream System, a DishNetwork 501 DVR receiver, and a Sony KV-27FS120 27" FD Trinitron WEGA Flat Screen TV. I am having troubles setting up the TV to the Dream System. I want to be able to use the system for regular TV. I already have the DVR receiver set up, and the system's own DVD player as well. But I'd really like to have the surround sound from the regular TV hooked up too. Help please?

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DAV-FX80 Dream System, a DishNetwork 501 DVR receiver, and a Sony KV-27FS120 27" FD Trinitron WEGA Flat Screen TV. I am having troubles setting up the TV to the Dream System. I want to be able to use the system for regular TV. I already have the DVR receiver set up, and the system's own DVD player as well. But I'd really like to have the surround sound from the regular TV hooked up too. Help please?

JPJ2005
Unregistered guest
Hi all,
I've recently bought a panasonic home cinema system, SCHT880, 5.1 pro-logic II system. Like many other comments below, I only receive surround when playing dvds, and only left and right speakers when on TV. My tv is quite new, being a LCD with dobly virtual surround and is connected via an audio/video scart to the homecinema receiver. I've been told by Panasonic that my system can not play surround from my tv .. or my xbox since it is pro-logic II. This sounds a bit suspect so I'm looking for anyone's views. For other info - my TV has only audio/video in points if not using the scart.
I'm really only interested in getting surround from the xbox, any ideas anyone? thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi to all
how do i connect my pioneer dcs333 home theatre system to my sky box. i have two scart conn. on my tv set one on my sky and on the pioneer as well how do can i play sky movies on the 5.1 system. what connections are needed can i get a rough sketch showing the connections
Cheers

Username: Miloduffy

New brunswick Canada

Post Number: 2
need help bought surround sound can only hear when dvd player is on cant hear through tv any ideas thanks

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Oritron DVD2512 Home Theater. The problem I am having is on most channels the sound seems to be out of sync with whats on the screen. The regualr TV speakers work fine and are in sync. It's just when I switch the show to be in surround most shows audio doesnt sync up with the video. Thanks in advance!

Krispy9319
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HTC-800DP Surround Sound system that has recently started to emit static/noise while watching DVDs. I just got a new Panasonic LCD television, but I do not think this is related. I used to leave the stereo on all day as company for my cat (no comments please) and one day came in to find the signal had been lost and the system was just putting out static. I wonder if I could have shorted something out? The static crops up after about 40 minutes on the DVD, and when I turn the system off and back on it's fine for the next 40 minutes. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 767
Check your DVD player. If this doesn't occure with other devices (if you can't replicate the same problem with say the TV) then it is your input device. See if you can borrow someone else's player and try it out.

Unregistered guest
can you get surround sound 5.1 without having a hdtv and if so how do you get it i have sony htb844

Unregistered guest
I have a Tevion TCHTS2100 DVD Surround sound system. We are having problems finding a home page for this manufacturer as we need a new remote control (our darling daughter spilt a cup of tea on the last one). Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 819
Go buy a universal remote and look in the back of the package to make sure they support Tevion. You may get more info on the net on specific models that can have a codeset for Tevion.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us