Add 2 additional bose cubes

Username: Jagrunner2602

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I just picked up a accoustmass Bose 5.1 system. I have 2 extra Bose speakers and wanted to know if I could add these to my 5.1 system when there's only limited hookups on the back of the Woofer. I have a Sony STR-DE898 Sony 7.1 channel surround sound Reciver.

Can I hook these two addtional cubes and make it a 7.1 system. If so, how can this be done? Appreciate any help.

thx

Jag

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 75
If you really want your system to sing get rid of the bose subwoofer. Hook up all of your speakers directly to the 7 channel sony and get a real powered sub to replace that bose sub that is nothing but a drain on your system. You could also try hooking up all your speakers to the sony accept for the front L&R. Hook those up with your bose sub and tell the reciever all your speakers are small accept the front L&R, they are set to large and no sub.

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 2
Hey Casey.

Thanks for helping. Wow! Ok. Would be nice to try and keep my woofer however i'm willing to buy a new woofer and hookup the 7 speakers to the reciever. See attached photo of the back of the reciever.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&id=morephotos&i=158STD898B&pi=2&display=XL

I'm a newbe here. Can you tell me how to hook up the 7 bose cubes with or without of the woofer? See attached URL of back of reciever for hookup. Just want to get the most out of this system. If I go the route of getting a new sub woofer, can you recommend one that would do the job?

many many thanks

JAG

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6371
I wouldn't do that if I were you!
Those little Bose cubes are running at 6 Ohms and dips a lot lower at varying times and Sony receivers are not very tolerant of impedances lower than what is recommended. I don't think you want to see the protect mode turn on, because once it does, there is no going back.

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the heads up Berny. I'll go the normal route. Could I at least use those 2 extra cubes in some way?

thanks

JAG

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6392
Not for a 5.1 set up.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 76
If you go the traditional bose route and run the 5 speakers through the sub, and the two extra speakers get hooked up directly to surround back speaker terminals. Set the 5 speakers to large and no subwoofer set the surround back speakers to small.

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 4
Thanks Casey.

I'm guessing to set these to large and no subwoofer is within the Sony reciever settings. I've yet to take this out of the box.

Thanks for your help.

JAG
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us