Sub hookup w/o sub out on receiver

wallyam
Unregistered guest
just purchased pioneer speaker system with powered sub and single rca input jack. get home and realize my jvc rx517v pro logic receiver does not have a sub out. only has front 1 and 2, center and rear spring loaded outs. is there any hope here. thanks for any advice.

Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 4
Many powered subwoofers have speaker-level ins/outs in addition to the RCA line-level input. If your sub doesn't have speaker-level inputs & outputs, you'd need to get a newer AV receiver with RCA subwoofer output.

wallyam
Unregistered guest
kevin, do you mean that there is no way to make this work w/o speaker level in and out. thanks

Post Number: 10
Check to see if your receiver has preamp out/amp in loop. You can use the pre-amp out from the receiver to feed and control the signal to the subwoofer but you won't be able to use the subwoofer's built-in crossover for the satellite speakers (especially Dolby Prologic receivers don't have bass management like the Dolby Digital receivers do). So yeah, you may need to consider a newer modeled receiver with Dolby Digital & DTS decoders :-).

johnm
Unregistered guest
If your powered sub has a built in crossover you should be able to take the line level signal from an output on your receiver your not using (such as the tape deck outputs for recording) and take the left and right rca output, branch them together with a y-adaptor, and run that to your subs single rca input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
If we use a tape out, we won't be able to control the subwoofer's loudness with the receiver's volume control because the signal from tape out is fixed. Ideally, we need to use a preamp out if the receiver doesn't have a sub out.

wallyam
Unregistered guest
thanks a lot to both of you. brought stuff back and got complete system, 600 w panasonic. wally

johnm
Unregistered guest
Damn Kevin J.,
Your one step ahead of me, I don't know what I was thinking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us