Connecting cable TV to home theater

Username: Ricky

Post Number: 1
Is there any way to connect the audio signal from cable to my home theater system? My reciever is a Yamaha with all the necessary inputs, however, I do not have digital cable and my TV doesn't have any outputs (audio or video). Can I input cable into my VCR (via coaxial cable) and output to the av reciever via RCA connections?

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 25
Yes, if you want to tune and watch everything through your VCR. Run the coax into the VCR, then use the composite video and audio out of the VCR to your HT receiver. This will at least allow you stereo and, at best, Prologic surround.

The best method is to get a set top box for tuning the cable. Check with your cable provider as they may offer them for little or no additional cost. Make sure to ask for one designed for HT, that is with Stereo outs or better, digital (Coax/Toslink) audio output.

If that fails ask them for recommendations or search google for Set top boxes. There are quite a few venders offering boxes for DTV. By end of 2006 they should be quite reasonable as everyone will need some form of decoder to decode digital off-air signals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us