My new build, Part 2

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5298
So, its been about a year since I started my little project. I am now in the finishing stages. Got the windows, doors, baseboard done. One coat of stain/poly on it now, Filled the nail holes. Then sand it all and a final finish coat of stain/poly. One last thing to finish the windows is to make like 1600 linear feet of window casing. I set upmy table saw to make it with a moulding bit set.

Heres a pic of the ones I did all ready on the other windows. Its like 6 beads and a edge detail. I make it from clear 1x4 pine.
Also is a pic of the original (1910) stained glass window i installed in the stairway wall. It is across from the outside window to let light into the stairway, but still keep it private from the bedroom.
Also I need to install the newel posts and railings still.
Carpet is going in in afew weeks.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22790
I flucking love woodwork. The sense of not just accomplishment but beauty as well is more than enough reason to use natural. I know in today's world they have many alternatives in composites to save costs but it's just too fake and cheap for me. Love the interior raised panel doors. I have a bit set for my shaper for making such panels. It's just a classy/traditional look IMO. Nice work!

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5300
Thanks. The base board is 2 piece, A 1x8 base and a cap. 2x the work on cutting all the angles. And the doors are solid pine, not that cheap imitation crap.
I made all the window sills from 1x6 and routered the bottom edge into them, Just gotta finish the casing and apron.
I will then finish the stairs. One of the newel posts is sitting in my dead dogs bed in pic 7.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16250
very nice workmanship & skills ...

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5570
Beautiful Marc

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14110
nice work

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5327
Almost there..
The stairs just need the spindles, Carpet is done thru out. 3 bedrooms, hall and stairs. Just need lino in the laundry room and then tile the bathroom.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Love the new closet, Now I can find my clothes..
Cut and added a granite counter and still need a mirror and vanity stool to finish.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Pic of the hall going into the "Closet"

Upload

And some of the stair trim work.
It pops now that it is stained.

Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23079
Wow. Nice progress. Love the stair work. Can't wait to see the balusters. Will they be turned as well?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5328
Thanks Paul.
Yes, Oak, Looking at the ones the have at HD, but also looking at some reclaimed ones from NEsalvage. But I cant find 22 of them in good matching condition. Plus I want to keep in scale with the stairs. Will probobly go with the HD ones at $5 plus a piece.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23080
I have a lathe and have done some work for my own interests and love it. It's a fantastic feeling being able to turn your own work. I had a couple of bar stool back rest spindles break when my cat decided to leap off one. The chair crashed and I was left with fixing or replacing it.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5345
Just got my final mechanical inspection passed.
Working towards final electrical, plumbing. Then a final finish. Lastly a fire department sign off.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4576
You, sir, are the mother fu<king man.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5355
Well, Bathroom is ready for tile. Finished installing 1/4 durarock, Thinsetted and screwed down for a solid, flat, level floor.
These are the tiles Im going with for the floor.
BASKETWEAVE TILE MOSAIC HONEY ONYX POLISHED.

Upload

Still deciding on the wall tile..Either a pocelain travatine looking tile or real travatine tile. Im not to crazy about using real stone due to the pourasity of the stone and high maintenance of sealing it bi-anualy. May do a mix of both, Porcelain field with travatine accents..idk...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23369
Dude I'm not 100% familiar with what you just said but it sounded sexy as hell to me lol!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3549
Any more updates on this Marc?

You do some awesome work.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5356
Thanks Snow, And everyone else. Most of the work is just detail stuff, Hanging lights, plug covers, ect. My last big project is the bathroom, and I am just starting to get ides for tile and stuff.

This is the wall tile. A 6x6 travatine beige color.
Also adding a midway design detail and a recessed nook.

Pics when done.

Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5357
yea, thats it.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5362
Well, Got the field layed down, Working on the cut edges this weekend and then I will have a bathroom..
Still need to tile the shower..But I am very pleased with this Onxy Basket weave tile design, Worth every penny spent.

Upload
Upload

I gave the house a break last weekend and went to my buddies house at Hampton Beach..Stayed overnite, then went fishing for Blues the next morning. Was a good time, like 6 of us guys from Work..

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23415
Nice. That tile really does look sharp.

Props for the fish too!

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5369
Well, Its been a long time in the progress. About 1.5 years and lots of $$. Thanks to everyone who has followed this build. This is my last post on this. I am having my final inspections this week and will be done as far as the legal stuff goes. Still some detail stuff, but anyway... One thing that set me back is the fire Dept. wanting me to add more smoke detectors on the first floor.. PITA as everthing is finished. But what ever..
So theses are the last few pics. Thanks again.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23751
That shower is very top notch work. Looks like a suite in an upper end hotel. As always, nice work on the stairs too.

Are you for hire lol?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5390
Today Is the day when I am legaly finished. Just got my Final, final inspection and will recieve my occupancy permit in a few weeks. Yea for Marc..Boo for you.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3589
Damn you did a nice job Marc.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12002
Wow Marc. That is damn good work there. The shower looks incredible and the stairs are phenomenal.

Job well done Marc.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15805
very nice work props to you man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us