Debate 2 - Should The US Abandon Their Own Nuclear Arms?

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11891
We are out there telling everyone else to abandon their arms while continuing to have ours. Should we be forced to abandon ours as well in order to show others we are serious or should we continue to build them as a scare tactic? Why are we the "police" of the world and what gives us the right to tell others what to do when we ourselves don't do it?

This would be much more controversial if we could get opinions from people outside of the US. Rovin, what do people in your country think?

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1511
I think that's a very tough debate. I would say sure abandon them but then when nobody else does where does that leave use.

Possible lower on the food chain?

On another note if we were to abandon are nuclear arms then we really have no pull or leeway to tell someone else to.(if that makes any sense.)

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11899
I see where you are coming from Joesph.

Do you happen to live outside the US?

Should we say we will abandon them to appease the rest of the world we are trying to police? Should we just keep a little secret stash, so to speak? This topic of forcing others to abandon their nuclear arms could very well lead to World War 3. This War could be the end for life itself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1513
I live in the United States. If i was the president or someone with that kind of control i would have a top secret mission and there would absolutely be a secret stash. But no one, not even are own people could know know about it. I think that would be the only possible way to do it. But then again, These are human beings and we have to remember that many minds will think alike. If we had the brains to do it wouldn't others. That's were it gets complicated because some might truly stick to there word and abandon them but we all know that some, maybe even most will lie.

As for World War 3, and the end of the world as we know it. Well that's a possibility to keep in mind i suppose. Especially with the technology and advancement we have had since the last major incident.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 698
I say keep them. We made them for a reason and its always good to be prepared. It is hypocritical for the US to tell other countries what to do though. Its all in trying to keep peace, but if our country wants to be about freedom, other countries can do as they want. Its their country and their business.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
I see what your saying when it comes to being prepared but i don't think anyone can be prepared for nuclear warfare.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16288
well i cant speaker for others in my country but will give my own opinion :

the usa is the largest country in the world (size not population) & u all do have some enemy countries that dont like u for whatever reason which might be religious , political , social or whatever (i wud say my country has a excellent relationship with the usa) so 1 of these enemies might 1 day (as we have seen in 2001) attack ur country , so ur weapons will be a good thing to have in case to defend your country IF other weapons are not effective enough & thats IF push comes to shove .... absolutely a last resort since we all know the effects of nuclear weapons

Your govt may not say it but obvioisly i bet they wud prefer if other countries do not have those weapons which can be used against ur country ...so if others dont have it ur govt & ppl cud sleep easier at night

This might sound silly but if ever the world is attacked by aliens the usa wud be the 1st country to try to defend the earth & i doubt normal missiles or bombs wud be effective against beings more advanced than us so nukes which are possibly the most powerful weapon the earth has may come in handy if ever thats a possibility

so to summarize : its not something u wud want to use but its sensible to have them just in case as a last resort ...

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22806
The government will, and has always lied to not only other countries but it's own people about, well.....just about everything it does. They will NEVER disarm themselves of a power that other countries have and will lie about themselves. Does anyone think North Korea is ready to lay down and play dead because the US demands it? HA!! So even if a country agrees to stop producing, testing or buying nuclear weapons doesn't mean they are or will. That includes the good ole USA.

I grew up always in fear of Russia and hated thinking about a nuclear war with them. At the time they were our biggest enemy (at least on paper). It never happened because NOBODY wins in that war game. They nuke us, we nuke them and nobody wins. In the end we just thin out the heard and give Hollywood another series of war flicks.

And Rovin, we are not the largest country at all. We may be looked at as the richest but by shear size we are only 4th in land mass. Russia, Canada and China are bigger. Russia being almost twice the size of us.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16289
looks can be deceiving so i stand corrected on the size & ur right :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_outlying_territories_by_total _area

while my country is waaaay down at no. 171 in size ......

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22809
Yeah but it's not the size of the wand but the magic in it lol.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9619
No.

Carrying a firearm is illegal in many states as we all know. We also know that the bad guys/criminals still carry guns illegally. So they have a way of harming us and we have no way to defend ourselves. Same views as mentioned can be applied. Even if they told you they got rid of all their arms would you believe them? I surely wouldn't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us